Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Minimum alcohol pricing plan shelved

The government has shelved plans to introduce a minimum price for a unit of alcohol in England and Wales.

Minister Jeremy Browne said the policy would remain "under consideration" but there were fears the change would hit responsible drinkers.

A ban on multi-buy promotions has been rejected but sales will not be allowed below the cost of alcohol duty and VAT.

I'm not at all surprised that this has gone the way of the dildo.

Amusing, as he wouldn't have been able to bring it in either way as minimum pricing contravenes EU law. That same EU that the three main parties are determined to keep us in no matter what!

(I'm against minimum pricing, but I'm also against an unchallengeable supranational institution having control over UK law and practice.)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 1:56 pm

There were fears minimum pricing would hit responsible drinkers... the same could be said for alcohol duty. Very inconsistent government policy in this case, since the arguments for acohol duty and minimum pricing are pretty much the same. I'm against all kinds of sin taxes. I don't know if it is some sort of Puritanism or nanny-statism, but politicians right and left always want to take the fun away. Having a smoke and a drink in a bar? Nooooooo, that is unhealthy. Like people don't know that. Sin taxes are like indulgences.

A few years ago there was even talk of a "fat-tax", a tax on unhealthy food. What's next, are they going to force us to exercise as well?

Oh, and the way of the dildo? So Minister Browne shoved those plans up his ass, good for him.

albedo
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

Well according to Google research a gram of crack cocaine is worth around 50GBP on the UK, market and powder is between 30-50GBP depending on quality.

If it was more expressive, would that stop the criminality that surrounds it? I don't think so.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

It seems to me this government keeps focusing on non-issues. Is there really a big problem with alcohol consumption in this country? And if there is, is it any worse now than it has been in history. Britain has always been a drinking country and a minimum price would not stop that.

albedo
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2013, 3:07 pm

If there is a problem culture, then the solution is cultural.

I think there is something to be said to encourage drinker to respect other people, and be sociable, and also discourage people drinking alone, or getting blotto'd before the go out.

Alcohol is not difficult to make, if people can't buy it they will make it. They will also drink industrial alcohol (methanol) which is not safe for human consumption.

Interesting fact: Rubbing Alcohol in the UK is called Surgical Spirit. However in the UK it contains Methanol. The reason is, as it is not safe for drinking, it therefor cannot be taxed at the higher rate.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 4:02 pm

albedo wrote:
Alcohol is not difficult to make, if people can't buy it they will make it.

And many will die consuming dangerous alcohol, as happens with disturbing regularly in countries like India and Kenya.

Do you remember the story a few years ago about an illegal vodka-making factory in Boston, when the entire premises exploded and the people inside were killed?

Expect more of that if alcohol prices rise too high.

albedo
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2013, 4:16 pm

Sure I remember that.