What do you think of Corporal Punishment for Adults?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Your views on Corporal Punishment for Adults?
I favor whipping, amputation and execution 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I favor whipping & amputation, but oppose execution 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I favor whipping & execution, but oppose amputation 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I favor amputation & execution, but oppose whipping 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I favor whipping, but oppose amputation & execution 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
I favor amputation, but oppose whipping & execution 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I favor execution, but oppose whipping & amputation 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I oppose whipping, amputation and execution 68%  68%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 38

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

In many parts of the world, particularly some former British colonies and some Islamic countries, individuals convicted of crimes may be whipped or beaten. In some cases a hand or foot may be amputated. Or, execution is always popular.

In Saudi Arabia, where punishments are said to be swift and severe, some crimes are quite rare. A storekeeper may go away and leave his store unattended, and nothing will be stolen.

Judicial flogging of adults came to an end in the UK in 1948

http://www.corpun.com/counukj.htm

Delaware's last floggings were in 1952

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 19,1701473

although people already in prison could be whipped long after that, particularly in the Deep South.

Flogging of prisoners was apparently very popular in colonial Australia.

So, what is your opinion?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

I guess it depends. Some crimes that destroy a person's dignity need some kind of corporal punishment, in ancient Israel they would flog the man who lied about his wife not being a virgin and he would then have to pay for twice the price of virginity in addition to having her control the rights to divorce. I wouldn't suggest flogging a person today for such a crime but I would suggest some torture exist for child molesters. I don't think it would necessarily detour prepubescent rape, but it is the just thing to do. But even then, prison politics will torture him anyways, so I don't know.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

http://www.corpun.com/11archive/usj01104.htm

Quote:
PETER MOSKOS, a former Baltimore cop and now a professor of law and criminal justice, mounts a defence of flogging as a possible alternative to incarceration:

I propose we give convicts the choice of the lash at the rate of two lashes per year of incarceration. One cannot reasonably argue that merely offering this choice is somehow cruel, especially when the status quo of incarceration remains an option. Prison means losing a part of your life and everything you care for. Compared with this, flogging is just a few very painful strokes on the backside...

My defense of flogging -- whipping, caning, lashing, call it what you will -- is meant to be provocative, but only because something extreme is needed to shatter the status quo. We are in denial about the brutality of the uniquely American invention of mass incarceration. In 1970, before the war on drugs and a plethora of get-tough laws increased sentence lengths and the number of nonviolent offenders in prison, 338,000 Americans were incarcerated. There was even hope that prisons would simply fade into the dustbin of history. That didn't happen.

Any thoughts on this? Letting people get off of prison, in exchange for flogging?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:00 am

Here is the US Navy's take on flogging of seamen

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/flogging.htm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

What are we now, Muslims?

Isn't being locked up like an animal sufficient punishment for any crime?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:47 am

Fnord wrote:

On a purely statistical basis, with something like 12 - 14% of male inmates being sexually assaulted while in prison, a flogging seems shockingly humane.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

TM wrote:
Fnord wrote:

On a purely statistical basis, with something like 12 - 14% of male inmates being sexually assaulted while in prison, a flogging seems shockingly humane.

Better not want to give people any ideas. There are people on WP who think that rape should be a mandatory part of a prison sentence for some crimes...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 12:30 pm

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 7:48 pm

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Corporal_punishment

Quote:
In some of the older English legal authorities (e.g. Bacon, Abridg. tit. "Baron and Feme," B), it was stated that a husband might inflict moderate corporal punishment on his wife in order to keep her "within the bounds of duty." But these authorities were definitely discredited in 1891 in the case of R. v. Jackson (1 Q.B. 671). By the unmodified Mahommedan law, a husband may administer moderate corporal punishment to his wife; but it is doubtful whether this right could be legally exercised in British India (Wilson, Digest of Anglo-Mahommedan Law, 2nd ed., pp. 153, 1 54).

It looks like, until 1891, a man could spank his wife in UK, to keep her within the bounds of duty.

Maybe Islamic men may beat their wives moderately, but they couldn't do it in British India.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 8:33 pm

I read that in some Islamic countries certain offenders are placed in bags with feral cats and then people beat the bags with sticks.Maybe they were rapists or something like that but what the frack did the cats do wrong?I guess not run fast enough.Beating people won't make them do right,it just makes them meaner and sneakier.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 8:44 pm

TM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What are we now, Muslims? Isn't being locked up like an animal sufficient punishment for any crime?

So instead of collectively becoming a nation reduced to the level of the murderers we kill, we collectively become a nation of gay dungeon masters.

Is there a third option?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2012, 11:38 pm

I am thankful the US Constitution specifically forbids cruel and unusual punishment.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm

So far no one supports amputation? There's this silly movie called Guru the Mad Monk about a religious island death camp and here a new priest is brought in to replace Guru. So the new priest needs to know some facts about the death camp and he learns that amputations go on there also.

FATHER POLANSKI - How long are they kept here before they are executed?

FATHER GURU - Not all prisoners are executed. Some of them are punished for lesser crimes and are shipped back on the next boat to the mainland.

BISHOP KOPEL - Yes, you see we can't be responsible for complications that might arise from lesser punishments.

FATHER POLANSKI - I'm afraid I don't follow you.

FATHER GURU - Not all prisoners are executed. Some of them merely have their eyes put out and their hands and feet cut off.

FATHER POLANSKI - Surely you at least treat their newly-acquired wounds before you ship them out.

BISHOP KOPEL - Oh no, we couldn't possibly do that. We couldn't afford to give them free treatment. Aha, it's enough for us to be able to give them spiritual food for their souls. You know I'm really quite hungry. That trip across the waters has given me quite an appetite. I don't know about you Father Polanski but I really must have a bite before we look at the prisoners. At any case let us go inside. The sun and I do not get along well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 12:08 am

caning leaves disfiguring deep keloid scars, and has been known to lacerate muscle tissue as well, requiring surgery afterwards. this is maiming, and maiming is definitely "cruel and unusual." i would not want to live in the banana republic which has sunk this far. imprisonment [and its associated permanent disenfranchisement/2nd class citizenship] is quite bad enough.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Oct 2012, 1:34 am

It's an interesting concept, I don't think I could support it but the cruelty of it doesn't seem so bad when compared to incarceration. The real problem is that the majority of 'criminals' pose no threat to society and are guilty of victimless crime.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 8:10 am

Quote:
I read that in some Islamic countries certain offenders are placed in bags with feral cats and then people beat the bags with sticks.Maybe they were rapists or something like that but what the frack did the cats do wrong?I guess not run fast enough.Beating people won't make them do right,it just makes them meaner and sneakier.

Cats are not generally kept as pets in the Middle East. To them, it's like beating a rat or a possum.

I voted for amputation, because I favor castration or even penis removal for pedophile sex offenders. I am not in favor of loping off hands, feet, or other body parts.