Tropes vs Women in Video Games: What is your honest opinion

Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:01 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I think the reason that men are usually featured as the main protagonists in video games is because so many video games revolve around physical violence, and men are stereotypically the ones who engage in the most physical violence. I speculate that we might see more female lead characters if game developers would make an effort to create games that do not primarily revolve around killing people and blowing things up. I generally stick to games where you can design your own character, like "Skyrim" or "Dragon's Dogma," which is an elegant solution the representation question.

It depends on the genre, not all games are violent. It has only been the case since the mid to late '90's that so many games have revolved round killing people, when action games took over from point and click adventures as the most popular video game genre. If you look at some of the most popular pc games in the era from the early '80's to early '90's (pc and console games were completely separate markets back then), you'll find that not as many revolve around physical violence, while the most of the games that did were for mostly for video game consoles. I think that the game market's changing again now and that we're going to start seeing more games that primarily revolve around physical violence.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

By the way, Anita Sarkeesian took most of her game footage from other peoples Let's Play videos and didn't even acknowledge them:

http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

So it's possible that she hasn't even played some of the games that she gives as examples and it shows. There was one case where she shows a clip of the protagonist's girlfriend begging him to kill her from one particular game but she dishonestly edited out the part afterwards where he refused to do so. Also, the that she showed of a woman being stripped was presented in her video as though this was happening because she was a woman, but this isn't the case if you look at context. In the context of the game it the woman had to strip because she was in a prison camp and had to strip with the other other prisoners in order to take a shower and the prisoners included men and children as well, it was not because she was a woman.

I've found this more detailed criticism of her second video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCsfXkbzRI4[/youtube]

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

Jono wrote:
By the way, Anita Sarkeesian took most of her game footage from other peoples Let's Play videos and didn't even acknowledge them:

http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

So it's possible that she hasn't even played some of the games that she gives as examples and it shows. There was one case where she shows a clip of the protagonist's girlfriend begging him to kill her from one particular game but she dishonestly edited out the part afterwards where he refused to do so. Also, the that she showed of a woman being stripped was presented in her video as though this was happening because she was a woman, but this isn't the case if you look at context. In the context of the game it the woman had to strip because she was in a prison camp and had to strip with the other other prisoners in order to take a shower and the prisoners included men and children as well, it was not because she was a woman.

I've found this more detailed criticism of her second video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCsfXkbzRI4[/youtube]

Machist!! !! You're accusing a discriminiated and opressed feminist with real data!! ! How do you dare to do so??? :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Aug 2013, 3:59 pm

Declension wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
If people have a problem with sexualized depictions of women in video games/movies/advertising, then why don't they relocate to countries where such depictions are illegal?

You can want something to be rarer without wanting it to be illegal.

For example, I wish people wouldn't ask dumb questions they already know the answer to, but I don't want it to be illegal.

This post has not got enough appreciation.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:21 pm

Declension wrote:
Greb wrote:
And? It's quite a liberal pattern to tell everybody else to shut the f**k up because... wow... they speak the TRUTH.

It's not because of "speaking the TRUTH", it's because you were getting riled up about what other people are willing to spend money on. It's insulting to the people who paid money.

Greb wrote:
And honestly, I'm not gonna shut the f**k up. And don't give a [imagine what] about what you think about me.

That's cute. You should start a punk band or something.

Ugh, don't insult punk music like that. :P