Yes, but not officialy 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No. 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 27

Boteva
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2013, 6:04 am

Jews And Autism
I want to know if here are any other Jews here. I also thought this was an interesting read.

albedo
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2013, 6:10 am

What specifically is interesting about it, are you looking for a correlation?

I do business with Jewish people, specifically to do with community/family infrastructure, so far I haven't seen evidence of a higher prevalence.

*edit* sorry I didn't see the article, because the hyperlink ways not clear.

As I have inside information on these sort of discussion within Jewish community, I hear first hand the impact of arbitrary rules, where something doesn't fit the mold.

Judiasm is a lot of moral codes, an laws, it is very intricate an complicated, there are many conundrums as a result of this.

However ASD is just one thing, there are many thing that can cause clashes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:43 am

albedo wrote:
... are you looking for a correlation?

I hope not. We don't need another excuse for the neuronazis to exterminate us.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:44 am

Yes - to quote Lady Gaga, "I was born this way".

So I'll always consider myself Jewish, but I've never been very religiously inclined. And if you get into a "how can there be a god who is good when there's so much wrong in the world" way of thinking, as I have lately, its hard to have much faith of any sort. I find myself wondering often how there can be a god when I was born with an ASD - I mean, before I ever had the chance to do anything wrong (or right), if there is a god, he/she screwed me over. I guess I just despair more and more lately because even though I've lately had some successes in ways I never thought I would, I wonder how much more I could have been without ASD and I see more and more how much it impacts me and hinders me.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 10:11 am

No, though if I wanted to live in Israel I have an excuse... sort of.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2013, 3:48 pm

I was born and raised in a secular Jewish family in NYC. (My family did not belong to a temple; and my parents changed the family name from Feigenbaum to Foster before I was born.)

However, I converted to another religion (the Baháʾí Faith) when I was 14. So, although my ancestry is Jewish, whether I am still "Jewish" would depend on who you ask.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:06 pm

No

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:50 pm

Nope, though it's the culture I admire the most. They are a only few millions, always manage to prosper as a community no matter where they, are and have won 20% of the Nobel prizes in the whole history.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

I demand DNA testing before answering the question.

albedo
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2013, 4:04 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I demand DNA testing before answering the question.

Won't be very useful, as the Jewish race is a myth, as is the common root theory.

Modern genetics (DNA) confirms this.

Basically as various Jewish sects were persecuted, they stopped converting as much. However it is basically a culture that spurned further cultures, much like Celtic.

Of course now there are genetic identities within the Jewish communities, however, it isn't proof of Judaism and and the Ethiopian Jews are no more the lost dan tribe than ashkenazi are related to them.

Judaism is a religion that came out of Canaanite and other cultures, and still incorporates some of these ritual in their practice such as Kapparot.

So if you think someone has a Jewish nose, they cans just as well come from some other background.

Last edited by albedo on 11 Aug 2013, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 4:15 am

I had a friend who was Jewish but she didn't really practice and then one day she told me that she felt as though she needed to start being more faithful. I don't know what ever became of her.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:00 am

Nope. Some people in my mother's family have a theory that one of their ancestors was a Jew who converted to Catholicism for pragmatic reasons. But even if that is true, it still wouldn't make me Jewish in the Halakhic sense, since it isn't the strictly maternal line.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:29 am

No, neither religiously or ethnically. Used to wish I was when I was a kid because I didn't like being a...I'll say scally (it's much less offensive than the American terms for it.)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 10:23 am

albedo wrote:

Won't be very useful, as the Jewish race is a myth, as is the common root theory.

Modern genetics (DNA) confirms this.

Basically as various Jewish sects were persecuted, they stopped converting as much. However it is basically a culture that spurned further cultures, much like Celtic.

Of course now there are genetic identities within the Jewish communities, however, it isn't proof of Judaism and and the Ethiopian Jews are no more the lost dan tribe than ashkenazi are related to them.

Judaism is a religion that came out of Canaanite and other cultures, and still incorporates some of these ritual in their practice such as Kapparot.

So if you think someone has a Jewish nose, they cans just as well come from some other background.

I suspect I could have some Polish Jewish lineage but need to have a DNA test to confirm it. I won't know for certain without one but I would like to know.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I suspect I could have some Polish Jewish lineage but need to have a DNA test to confirm it. I won't know for certain without one but I would like to know.

Are DNA tests offered for that?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:05 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Are DNA tests offered for that?

I know someone who is clearly descended from Polish Jews yet the DNA test said otherwise so not sure if I can really trust the results. I still want to see what it says anyway, just out of curiosity. She says she is descended from Shepardic (Spanish) Jews. She has messianic Jewish ancestors who lived in Poland at one point. She lives here in the US. Ever since she talked about hers, I have wanted to see mine.