Page 4 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2005, 6:02 am

Jonny wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
Youre gonna hate this but God moves in mysterious ways. Dont think of AS as a curse but a an intellectual gift from God.

What do you mean by "intellectual gift" ?

If we are going to get into this debate lets not limit it to AS, how about all the suffering in the world ?

Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
THe first shall be last and the last shall be first

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2005, 5:37 pm

My personal take on it is twofold, I think aspergers may be a form of adaptation to changes in the world, or just an alternate way of thinking that wasn't really 'visible' until the world became so industrialized.

Aspergers as a curse:

When the original sin was introduced the laws of decay were put into place. Like a dungeons and dragons game it is almost all based on the dice and how they are thrown. Some people roll snake eyes and are stillborn, some roll higher then others. Aspergers is just a fluke in the brain while developing.

By the way, on previous views here, God will save us. He sent his son to pay our sins and we just have to deal with the 90 or so years we're here on earth. We're here to find God, and glorify him from my view.

Aspergers as a blessing:
Many creationists believe in adaptation, or the change within a family (note the 'sorting system' that biology uses) to better fit the situation. Looking at technology today, and how the autistic mind thinks, we can see it as an advantage over the others.

There's one person that comes to mind for me, someone I think might have had aspergers or a form of it.

Emily Dickinson.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2005, 9:14 pm

im on the same page as you kitsune. at least one of my personalities is :?
A

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2005, 4:51 pm

MPD?

Iunno, even if it is a curse, I really don't mind. I enjoy working with computers. If they hate you they blue screen you, unless your on linux. Linux is a loving caring operating system, or so I've heard.

Some people say lycanthropy (out of lore, not the real version) is a curse. I'd love the freedom that would offer me. I'd leave mankind forever. Go up where it was cold and live there.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 5:32 pm

i actually dont got mpd but sometimes i feel like i do
A

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2005, 6:43 pm

I just like blowing things up. >>;

Though only inanimate objects. <<;

POWER TO THE PHOX!! PHEAR THE PHOX!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...err...nevermind.

:wink:

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2005, 7:02 pm

nobody can outdo the catlike canines.
A

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2005, 8:17 pm

Of course not. =)

:lol:

I'm...too sexy for my fur...too sexy for my fur...

Andrew123
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2005, 1:25 am

Being agnostic I dont really know if a god exists or not, but lets assume that one does exist. I dont see AS as a curse or a blessing, its more like a condition of the mind. Those people who believe that AS is a curse are those that are persecuted or observed people being persecuted by those who choose to be intolerant. Its very similar to the KKK hating blacks.

Now why did god choose me and other people to be HFA or AS? Probably for the same reasons god created people who are left handed. These are reasons we don't know but can only speculate about. One reason could be that god wanted to created a rich tapestry of different kinds of people and didnt want a world where everyone was uniform. Another possiblity is that after god created humans god let science and genetics do the rest of the work in determining which people have what traits.

And as far as why god allows suffering or bad things happening to good people, thats a whole other thread.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 7:34 am

My personal thought is that if there's a god, he probably tries to teach us through life experiece and its up to us to do the math in the end. Then again, even though I was raised and confirmed catholic, I tend to believe in a more buddhist structure where we all have to take a turn being something - I was probably some brash popular twit in a past-life plenty of times and like eveyone else, I've gotta take my turn with this as well. I've heard the idea mentioned by many that having AS/autism is your last trip arround before graduating - lol, if that's true it explains a lot IMO.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 10:33 pm

How can you learn anything, much less "graduate", if you don't retain any knowledge of these hypothetical past lives? That would make reincarnation an execise in futility because you would be going through the same trials time and time again, but never gain anything from it.

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation."

Hebrews 9:27-28

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 11:24 pm

in reincarnation, your past lives affect you through experiences. for example, lets say you commited suicide in the last life, you might get murdered in this life. something that we did in our past life has decided we are aspies. the bible has no explanation as to why people are the way they are. unexplained deja vu is most likely from a past life. reincarnation has nothing to do with retaining knowledge. nirvana or what us others may call it is simply when the gods(no disrespect to my buddhist friends) have felt we have made wise desicions to our situations. thats just my thoughts on it, others have different opinions.
A

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 11:49 pm

Sean wrote:
How can you learn anything, much less "graduate", if you don't retain any knowledge of these hypothetical past lives? That would make reincarnation an execise in futility because you would be going through the same trials time and time again, but never gain anything from it.

Well, the philosophy in that I think is that we really don't forget those things, just that we have memory of what we've learned blocked when we're here. If anything, that's to insure complete empathy with that station of life rather than adding in retrospect from other lives. Like in our case, if we'd been born 78 year old retired CEO's who were natural born leaders, that would drastically change the way AS would effect us and if anything we'd feel much more of that other identity guiding things rather than getting lead by what we learn of the world and our own identities from the time we're born.

You make mention of Hebrews though; the bible is definitely an interesting book and it definitely has a lot of very valid points, but at the same time I think I kinda suffer from that whole "Wait...I think this is "the way" because my parents told me it is...what if I'd been born muslim in the same situation?" type of reasoning. For me it seems like buddhism reaches the bottom line reasoning behind a lot of christian commandments and ideas, just that it was speaking to a more altruistic and loyal culture at the time who could handle the idea of doing things sheerly for the benefit of society at large.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 5:55 pm

What I believe has nothing to do with what I believe. While seperating my faith from my parents, there was a period where I didn't believe in much of anyhing.

Buddhism is a paradox within a paradox. A mystical doctrine which laughs at all doctrines and dogma, and becomes a doctrine and dogma in itself.
Furthermore, Buddhism cannot benifit a society at large because if all wisdom and enlightnment is found in oneself, there is no objective standard of conduct to build a society upon. Historically, values in Buddist countries were established by brutal and opressive nobles who had little interest in the well-being of their subjects.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 6:11 pm

Sean wrote:
What I believe has nothing to do with what I believe. While seperating my faith from my parents, there was a period where I didn't believe in much of anyhing.

Buddhism is a paradox within a paradox. A mystical doctrine which laughs at all doctrines and dogma, and becomes a doctrine and dogma in itself.
Furthermore, Buddhism cannot benifit a society at large because if all wisdom and enlightnment is found in oneself, there is no objective standard of conduct to build a society upon. Historically, values in Buddist countries were established by brutal and opressive nobles who had little interest in the well-being of their subjects.

That depends. If you read 'The Art of Happiness' you see there are some forms of it that aren't Zen. Like I said, I don't buy into subjective reality of subjective morality, society does take all types and all different occupations to go arround, but the Dalai Lama's view on it though seems very common sense and very objective.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2005, 10:18 pm

You are assuming there is a god to make ppl AS or anything for that matter. I see AS ppl as a random but rare gentic or brain type and find ways myself to deal with finding myself with that type brain heeh