simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm

Jacoby wrote:
simon_says wrote:
eric76 wrote:
simon_says wrote:
Far right Republicans always expect to get away with acting like crazy children and expect the adults (Democrats) to appease them with candy and not duplicate their behavior. The WH thinks that if they make debt ceiling extortion acceptable it will become routine and eventually there will be a default anyway.
I'd hardly call either major party adults.

But in this case, the Republicans are acting more like adults than the Democrats.

Threatening to destroy the economy and bring a global financial apocalypse because they didnt win an election and get to defund Obamacare? Yeah, that's perfectly sane. :lol:

Spending within our means would bring a global financial apocalypse? That doesn't sound good now or when the credit card finally does run out whenever does happen and that bubble is just going to get bigger, I suppose our grandchildren will be the ones that will have to worry about that. If you're talking about default then you should know there is ZERO chance that US will default, the US brings in more than enough revenue to service its debt. Other spending would need to be prioritized. It won't be that way forever, just the interest on our debt will surpass amount we spend on Social Security and defense eventually. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Who is proposing we do that? Are you just making things up? We've been overspending for 30 years in part thanks to massive tax cuts. The Ryan plan called for additional massive tax cuts and a balanced budget decades from now. To say nothing of the actual debt. This childish temper tantrum is from a bunch of election year losers who can't deal with the loss.

And delaying the PPACA mandate has nothing to do with the debt whatsoever.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 6:09 pm

simon_says wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
simon_says wrote:
eric76 wrote:
simon_says wrote:
Far right Republicans always expect to get away with acting like crazy children and expect the adults (Democrats) to appease them with candy and not duplicate their behavior. The WH thinks that if they make debt ceiling extortion acceptable it will become routine and eventually there will be a default anyway.

But in this case, the Republicans are acting more like adults than the Democrats.

Threatening to destroy the economy and bring a global financial apocalypse because they didnt win an election and get to defund Obamacare? Yeah, that's perfectly sane. :lol:

Spending within our means would bring a global financial apocalypse? That doesn't sound good now or when the credit card finally does run out whenever does happen and that bubble is just going to get bigger, I suppose our grandchildren will be the ones that will have to worry about that. If you're talking about default then you should know there is ZERO chance that US will default, the US brings in more than enough revenue to service its debt. Other spending would need to be prioritized. It won't be that way forever, just the interest on our debt will surpass amount we spend on Social Security and defense eventually. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Who is proposing we do that? Are you just making things up? We've been overspending for 30 years in part thanks to massive tax cuts. The Ryan plan called for additional massive tax cuts and a balanced budget decades from now. To say nothing of the actual debt. This childish temper tantrum is from a bunch of election year losers who can't deal with the loss.

How are all those poor people going to pay for their insurance? Hmmm... Actually, the wars and taking ourselves of the gold standard is what led to our current condition. We need to cut all across the board. Also eliminate deductions.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 6:18 pm

Quote:
How are all those poor people going to pay for their insurance? Hmmm... Actually, the wars and taking ourselves of the gold standard is what led to our current condition. We need to cut all across the board. Also eliminate deductions.

PPACA includes revenue to pay for it's various programs. In fact it's bringing in some revenue right now and not yet paying much out. It has nothing to do with the current debt or deficit as suggested in the latest red herring from the anarchist wing of the GOP.

Quote:
If you're talking about default then you should know there is ZERO chance that US will default, the US brings in more than enough revenue to service its debt.

The US isnt a household. It pays millions of bills each day automatically as they arrive. They've got a week and a half to figure out which ones absolutely must be paid using a system that was not designed to do that. The operation of complex financial systems in the real world is not required to correspond to the needs of anarchist fanatics. The money will also not arrive smoothly to cover all needs. Some things would have to be ignored to save up to pay a bill that avoids default.

And the impact would go far beyond paying individual bills. It's being called a catastrophe by business interests for a reason.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

simon_says wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
simon_says wrote:
eric76 wrote:
simon_says wrote:

What was Barack Obama proposing in 2006 when he opposed raising the debt ceiling? Was he an anarchist? What do you think the whole debt ceiling debate is all about? There are definitely more serious proposals than Paul Ryan's out there and for as lame as his is, at least it is a plan. It is a separate issue that I would oppose regardless but if you're not aware the debt ceiling will be reached on October 17th and is being tied in to this whole government shutdown business. Nobody seemed to really care that much about the supposed government "shutdown" so the debt ceiling is the next deadline they're scaring people about by falsely repeating the lie that the US is in danger of default if the debt ceiling isn't raised. You can whine about tax cuts all you want but no amount tax raises would even come close to paying for our bloated government. The day of reckoning is coming whether we like it or not, you can delay it and maybe you'll be dead by then but that's not the future I want to leave to my future grandchildren.

Delay Obamacare because it's a law the American people have opposed from the very start, if they really want to stop the law they'll send a message in 2014 just like they did in 2010... Or not, the Democrats can take back the House and fund it themselves then.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 6:46 pm

Politicians often posture on votes that have no consequences. Opposing and supporting things that would happen with or without them. But actually risking a default and actually shutting down the government are two entirely different dynamics. If you can't understand that, well, that's just funny. It's certainly not my problem.

And I'm certainly not whining. I'm just stating the facts of where part of the debt came from and that the far right wing is primarily interested in more tax cuts which will fuel even more debt. Any solution will require a mix of revenue and cuts. Because in reality, where I live, the only example of a balanced budget in 30 years came from a mixed solution. Anything else is a fantasy with no track record.

Move the goal posts around all you like but we both know your panties have been in a wad over PPACA. Spin away.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:18 pm

What we really need to do is ungerrymander the congressional districts, so that these vile, disgusting Repugs can no longer hold the country hostage.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:41 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
What we really need to do is ungerrymander the congressional districts, so that these vile, disgusting Repugs can no longer hold the country hostage.

that would require a transformation of millions of voters' spirituality. not likely to happen in this lifetime.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

I've never liked that guy. :hmph:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 6:40 am

I've heard it said that women love a man who cries.

Well, do the ladies here just want to hug, cuddle and kiss this poor little fellow?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 6:53 am

eric76 wrote:
Huh? Then why were such measures never taken in previous shutdowns? Prior to 1980, government shutdowns saw little, if anything at all, shut down. People stayed at work doing their jobs and everything continued with the knowledge that Congress would pass laws that retroactively made sure that everyone got paid and stayed working?

And as far as the procedures, in what year prior to my birthdate was this process created? If the process was created prior to my birthdate, then why was it never followed until President Carter's attorney general decided that the government had no authority to keep working when it ran out of money?

The Antideficiency Act of 1884, as ammended in (most recently) 1950. It addresses appropriated funds and how they are subdivided, "apportioned" and "allocated" before any of the appropriated funds can be expended by the Executive Branch.

eric76 wrote:
That's some negotiating style -- give me what I want and then we might discuss some minor changes.

Um . . .
You do realize this is the exact tactic being used by the Republicans, don't you? Except that the Republicans offer no negotiations even after they get their way, along with publicly bragging about how the debt ceiling is going to be another opportunity to get what they want.

The Republicans claim they want to negotiate, but they only want something that they can't have, so any "negotiations" at this point would be a waste of time.

Last edited by sonofghandi on 08 Oct 2013, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 7:54 am

He does not look huggable or kissable,I'd like to poke at him with a sharp stick.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:20 am

Misslizard wrote:
He does not look huggable or kissable,I'd like to poke at him with a sharp stick.

Aw.

See what you've done?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:28 am

He always looks like he's wearing eye liner. :?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:36 am

A cattle prod might be more effective.