Page 2 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

lucious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2013, 2:10 am

Dawkins arguments for atheism are woefully ignorant and fallacious. He presents nothing but strawmen, red herring, bluster, diatribe and is utterly disinterested in an intellectual dialogue. He just views religion as this ultimate evil for no reason at all and wants to take it down by any means necessary, even if it means completely distorting it.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2013, 2:17 am

Having read Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God as a teenager I haven't much interest in reading Dawkins or any of the other New Atheists. I don't think the subject deserves that much intellectual attention.

If I have the mental energy for something philosophical -- which hasn't happened in a while -- Plato, Nietzsche, Rand and others sit on my shelf, eager to tell me what they do believe, and why, rather than going on at length about what they don't.

Not to be overly dismissive though -- if you find Dawkins interesting, more power to you. The fact that you're thinking about these kinds of issues puts you ahead of the majority of the population.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 2:38 am

Not read his books and don't plan to. He is viewed as a bit of a nut job over here by a lot of people, may as well read David Icke's rantings as far as I am concerned.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 2:47 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Not read his books and don't plan to. He is viewed as a bit of a nut job over here by a lot of people, may as well read David Icke's rantings as far as I am concerned.

So you'll just go along with what a lot of other people think? Sounds like...errr nevermind :P

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 2:52 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

So you'll just go along with what a lot of other people think? Sounds like...errr nevermind :P

no, I have the ability to make up my own mind on things without feeling the need to follow the herd

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:04 am

Improbable means something that is almost impossible to happen in this case. And by improbable we are talking about something more improbable than getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery. Yet it did happen. Science assumes determinism, which assumes causation. There had to be some cause, particularly a designer.

The atheist and logician Bertrand Russell, in his book, "Why I am not a Christian", smugly poked fun at Hindu cosmology thus: The world sits on the back of an elephant. Ask the Hindu what the elephant sits on, and he replies a giant turtle. After that, it is time to change the subject. What I'm getting at is that we can apply the same logic to the materialist theory of the Big Bang by asking what went bang?

Aristotle actually noted this problem in his theory of the unmoved mover. The unmoved mover is something that causes everything but was caused by nothing itself. This is very unscientific. Yet science is incapable of offering anything any better.

Are you sure you're not being scientific?

Well, I'm not sure he poked fun at it, I am aware he thought it was illogical, however you would have to find the exact quote to prove that he was being disrespectful of such a belief. Well obviously the two are not synonymous or analogous since there is empirical evidence that the big bang existed and the Hindu cosmological belief is mythological. Yes, we could say we don't know the origin of the big bang, although according to science since the whole of matter before the big bang remained as a singularity similar to those you find at the heart of a black hole, there was no time or space since they are dependent on the constant speed of light and since light cannot exist at the point of a singularity due to the excessive amount of gravitational pull. Therefore since time and space can be considered non-existent at this point, it is scientifically logical to say there was no matter since time and space are a necessary dimensionality of time.
I agree, this does not seem like a particularly satisfying answer and essentially says that we do not know however that is just the point, WE DO NOT KNOW. Science could pretend, much like Christians and fabricate and answer but that would limit scientific research and since we do not know it still leaves the possibility open that one day we might discover how everything managed to come about under such extreme circumstances. I cannot give you an answer to the question of 'what caused the big bang?' because when science describes the fact that time and space were non-existent that does not seem like an adequate however to say science equally does not know seems like an inadequate answer but I am afraid that is exactly the point, we do not know yet. What should the practical consequences be of not having such answer be though? To stop scientific research? To believe in God? I should not hope so.

While there was a faction of communism called the God-Builders, of which Maxim Gorky was a prominent member, the communists never made much headway in political sacralization. Yes, there was a cult of Stalin and Lenin, but never one for Khrushchev or Brezhnev. And they were good communists both. I would add that trying to call Stalin a Christian does grave violence against the facts of history--something anybody who defers to science over religion should avoid. Stalin destroyed untold numbers of churches, and executed or imprisoned millions of Orthodox clergy and devout laymen. It's hard to argue he was a Christian when he hated it.

No but the fact that people say that Stalin was atheistic is still false and the same I'm afraid applies to Hitler. Many Christians say that World War two was a secularized war and that Hitler him self was an atheist and it was due to such an absence of religious faith that he committed the atrocities that he did. However, Hitler was a theist. He was a Christian who was a devout believer in the Roman Catholic faith and had ties with the Church throughout the war and in fact the church were highly supportive of him. Yes, perhaps, this is a different story when it comes to Stalin and Mao, however I am highly skeptical that these wars happened because of atheism. Atheism is a lack of belief so to kill someone over the fact that something is non-existent seems highly illogical. The atrocities that occurred under Stalin and Mao would have happened regardless of religion, millions of people would have been killed even if atheism hadn't have existed. There still would have been the delusional and psychopathic belief that anyone who opposed the political aspirations of the communist state should have been killed and this would have carried on regardless. One because the people running such political systems were psychopathic in their nature and two, and more importantly, it was not the most integral part of their philosophy. Of course, it was an integrated part of their belief system but to say that every single person killed under the oppressive regime of communism occurred because of atheism seems highly illogical. It seemed far more politically motivated than religiously motivated but regardless of what motivation was there, those people were psychopaths that would have exploited any belief system in order to have sustained their power. What I have said does not apply to religion however. Under the communist regime, killing would have happened regardless. Would killing have happened during the crusades if religion had not existed? I would be highly highly highly skeptical of that. Such wars had their very foundations in religion. I would say the same for the witch burnings, which was a vile suppression of femininity and the freedom to alter consciousness and practice alternative religion and had its foundations also in religion.

As far as your statement on Bush and Christianity. and "anything can be interpreted from such a doctrine", that's not true. Real Christianity has a very specific meaning, as outlined in the Nicene Creed. As evidence, I would suggest that it would not be plausible for you to call yourself a Christian. Something that has no fixed meaning can mean anything. If Christianity could mean anything, you plausibly could call yourself a Christian.

As far as Bush goes, I would argue that he's a liberal. As such, he does his worship in front of a mirror. Liberalism went from very innocently asserting the individual has rights against the state (think the US Constitution) to placing the individual above all else, especially God. The reason Bush calls himself a Christian is because Christianity is widely recognized as a force for good. Bush was the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing.

I suppose in this matter I beg to differ then. I would personally say that there are bits in the bible that are extremely abstract. The book of Revelations is highly abstract. The belief that one should not commit suicide can be found in the bible and that seems highly abstract to me. We are all committing suicide in some form of another. Even the most pure people in our society who do not drink, do not have sex, do not consume any drugs, could not be considered free from sin. All of us are committing suicide in some way or another. I am committing suicide by going on this computer rather than spending my time at the gym to increase my life expectation. Every time I choose to drive my car, I am contributing to global warming as well as to the toxic amount of chemicals in the atmosphere and thus whatever I do, I can be considered sinful. The same applies to murder. I would say we are all murderers. It sounds absurd however the law of sin is absurd and therefore my conclusions in regards to such a law must also be slightly absurd. Bacteria as a micro-organism can be found absolutely everywhere from your eye-lashes to your bed. It could be considered a living thing. It does not have a consciousness but then most animals do not have a consciousness in the sense that we have a consciousness yet to say they are essentially dead would be dubious. Therefore every time you go to wash your hands, every time you have a shower, every time you clean your kitchen, you are committing an act of murder. Thus, in some indirect sense, we could all be going to hell. I am sure what I have said contradicts what most Christians believe, however that is my point, the doctrine is so open to interpretation that it leads to confusion over meaning since most of it has its basis in metaphysical concepts that are essentially meaningless. This confusion in turn can lead to violent people twisting it in order justify their aggressive actions. Moreover, if it were so clear cut you would not have the many denomination you find within Christianity. There is a huge amount of disagreement and conflict when it comes to interpreting the bible and this had led to many different christian sects branching off and creating separate organizations. I doubt such things would exist if it were such a coherant and cohesive philosophy.

You make a good point. The atheist Karl Marx noted that religion is the opiate of the people. He of course was right. What Marx failed to realize is that sometimes opiates are good. Just as you're going to want a real opiate after serious surgery or accident, sometimes we need a spiritual palliative as life is full of unavoidable pain. Again, God is something I couldn't say with any conviction that I believe in or disbelieve in. It is an abstraction my simple aspie mind just cannot process.

I completely agree however just because something is good and comforting does not mean it is necessarily true. As I said in the beginning of my post and I would like to clarify this once more, I DO NOT want to ban religion in any way or suppress it in anyway if the individual finds it comforting. If she or he is not doing themselves any harm and keeping themselves up at night neurotic about whether or not they are going to burn in hell for eternity or doing anybody else any harm by making people with an alternative sexuality feel guilt-ridden, then it is absolutely fine. People should have such tools at the disposal. It does not necessarily make it true however. Objective reality and the belief systems we find comforting are two entirely different things but I agree with you. If the individual finds religion comforting and she or he is not infringing upon another individual's freedom by believing in such, they have the right to do so and I'm sure it is very beneficial. By the way, I hope you do not feel like I am mocking your beliefs in this post. I do not mean to be condescending or make you feel stupid because I often feel stupid when I am debating. I am solely trying to have a logical debate.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dawkins makes a fundemental error by assuming that any form of religious belief is akin to a kind of mental illness. He uses this assumption to make derogatory statements about cultures and groups.

There are facets of Dawkins athiesm that make sense for large organised religions where god the munificent diety seems to have bipolar disorder on the one hand hand crafting a "chosen people" then every so often punishing them in cruel ways because they did not sacrifice enough animals, or they ate pork or did not pay due homage by dancing with their hands in the air and chanting hymns. These have the hallmarks of cults (i.e. Abrahmic religions).

On the other hand traditional beliefs about spirits seem harmless and for all we know thousands of years ago primitive humans may have been visited by aliens or interdimensional beings and interpreted their teachings as messages from the gods. In this context Dawkins can't pretend to know everything.

I agree with you. If someone believes in spirits of god and they are not doing themselves any harm, then it could not be considered mental illness when they are, I do not see it as being any different. I am sorry. If someone is rocking in there bed completely neurotic(and I have known people like this) that they are going to burn in the flames of hell for eternity, I do not see that as being any different from mental illness. I agree with you in so far that it is a well known fact that primitive societies had access to certain hallucinogenic drugs and this might have prompted hallucinations which seemed like aliens. The drug ayahuasca, which is a mixture of DMT and harmaline can be found in the amazonian rain-forest and can lead the individual to have extremely potent hallucinations of alien-beings. The amazon tribe, I think their name is the San people, believe that such alien beings constructed their civilization. Furthermore, PHD scholars in Jerusalem are now trying to prove that the story of burning bush may have been a psychedelic trip report since there is a drug in the area it supposedly happened that is high in dmt when smoked in a certain way. Considering the access people had to such psychedelics, 'primitive' people may have taken these and imagined that such beings existed and constructed their civilization, however as for such being actually existing, I do not personally see any empirical evidence for such beings existing or intervening with our societies but I would love to see what evidence you could provide(sorry this sounds patronizing and sarcastic but it is not) ? I do not dispute there are extra-terrestrial beings out there. There have been many reports and it is highly likely considering how sparse the universe and how many galaxies there and thus it is highly probable in my opinion but could not be considered to be true. As for Richard Dawkins, yes he doesn't know everything. He doesn't know (if they exist) what the nature of aliens is but then he doesn't know about Dark Matter, why Quantum mechanics cannot explain gravity, how nothing came to be something but then again he has never claimed to know the truth about those things. In this sense, I would say he is open minded since he admits to not knowing something and alters his position in accordance with what evidence is brought to light.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:24 am

Verdandi wrote:
Dawkins is a racist and a sexist and there are far better people who say what he does, only they say it better without defaming entire cultures.

Could you please back that sentence up with a quote or some evidence? Considering he is critical of the bible and the bible is a highly sexist doctrine that states that men should be considered above women, I cannot comprehend how he could be labelled as so.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:32 am

Biscuitman wrote:

Haha, I'm sorry but that is a ludicrous analogy in my opinion. One he is not viewed as a nut-job in England. I too am from England and he is a well respected author. David Icke!?? They have nothing in common. Richard Dawkins believes that Religion cannot be empirically tested since there is no evidence for it and David Icke believes that Giant shape-shifting reptiles rule the world. I'm sorry but the two just can't be compared. Oh and just to clarify, David Icke isn't considered that much of nutjob anymore but is becoming far more highly respected. His views on the corruption on the banking system, the right-wing-left-wing political paradigm being illusory, wars in the middle east are slowly becoming more and more accepted by society. In fact he attracted over five thousand people when he did his show at Wembley arena.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:33 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Exactly.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:37 am

RandyG wrote:
Having read Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God as a teenager I haven't much interest in reading Dawkins or any of the other New Atheists. I don't think the subject deserves that much intellectual attention.

If I have the mental energy for something philosophical -- which hasn't happened in a while -- Plato, Nietzsche, Rand and others sit on my shelf, eager to tell me what they do believe, and why, rather than going on at length about what they don't.

Not to be overly dismissive though -- if you find Dawkins interesting, more power to you. The fact that you're thinking about these kinds of issues puts you ahead of the majority of the population.

Well Richard Dawkins but also atheists aren't just telling you about what beliefs they do not have since their opposition to religion is a fundamental part of their belief system itself. Also, I have to contradict you when you say it doesn't deserve much intellectual attention? Why? Considering religion has caused huge amounts of suffering as an ideology and still does in large parts of the world in which it seeks to demonize homosexuality and women's liberation, it seems like a pertinent topic that deserves much attention that for the past two thousand years it hasn't been getting. 40% of Americans apparently do not believe in Evolution and instead believe the world was made in seven days, 10,000 years ago and there are political debates surrounding whether we should teach such things in school, which to be seems rather abusive. So in that sense, I would say, it is still a highly pertinent issue.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:41 am

Biscuitman wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

no, I have the ability to make up my own mind on things without feeling the need to follow the herd

But you are following the herd if you are not willing to listen to him on the basis of other people thinking he is a nut-job. Plus, I do not see how you can make an opinion about something you have no gone to the trouble of listening to. It is like saying a coat doesn't suit you when you haven't turned on the light and looked at it.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:45 am

Dawkins arguments for atheism are woefully ignorant and fallacious. He presents nothing but strawmen, red herring, bluster, diatribe and is utterly disinterested in an intellectual dialogue.

Everything you have said seems highly subjective, could you please say why you think that? What arguments has he presented exactly that you think are ignorant and fallacious because as far as I can tell considering he is open to understanding reality as it can be understood and has studied evolution for over thirty years, he seems the opposite of ignorant, in fact he seems knowledgeable and aware.

He just views religion as this ultimate evil for no reason at all and wants to take it down by any means necessary, even if it means completely distorting it.

Tell that to the two thousand witches that were burnt and hung for actively practicing paganism...

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 3:50 am

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
I too am from England and he is a well respected author.

8O

probably safer we just agree to disagree here

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2013, 3:52 am

Biscuitman wrote:

8O

Yes, I suppose so. Although the fact that his books have sold over 3 million copies, he can't be considered a nut-job. I have met a lot of people that think he is onto something.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 5:12 am

Biscuitman wrote:

8O

Yes, I suppose so. Although the fact that his books have sold over 3 million copies, he can't be considered a nut-job. I have met a lot of people that think he is onto something.

Don't go there fibonaccispiral777, do you know how many copies of The Bible have been sold? :wink: