Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

Maybe I am just libertarian or what not, but as of late I have become dull to all the arguing over this or that. For example, the atheism vs religion. I guess to me, who cares. I understand some people may care about that, but I guess why do both sides sling insults? Or even politics. Unles it is the fiscal side of things, I kinda could give a rip. All I want is a decent amount of wealth, a nice looking wife, kids, a nice place to live (perhaps in South America or Asia), and a small legacy. Politics be damned. Why the hell do w eeven have to worry about this? Why not just worry about being happy? Maybe I am a tad jaded, but even though I like economic theory, I find all the fighting and politics stupid, and all I want is a decent life. Any thoughts?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

I hear you. That's why I never usually bother with this section. I can't understand why these kind of debates get so heated because I am genuinely curious about this sort of thing and like delving into whys and what ifs, but I hate it when people start calling each other stupid just because they don't see eye to eye.

I think all anyone wants is peace and a secure life with people who love them, but things come along every so often that make me think, hmm, I wonder about this and I would like to know the answer. I can't be alone in that. I don't mind a reasonable discussion about things greater than my every day life, but yeah, I hate it when I try and have a discussion with someone and they assume that just because I'm trying to discuss something deep that I'm trying to change them and get all defensive. No, I just want to talk about something interesting.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

Well, I've given up on actually trying to convince anyone to change their views, unless we are arguing about something that can logically be deduced from shared priors. You just end up arguing about axioms otherwise, and by definition, no-one can win that one...

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

what is a ripism?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 7:10 pm

I dont give a DAMN about your apathy!

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I dont give a DAMN about your apathy!

Let's make a deal. You leave me alone, and I will let you not give a damn :) . :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

wozeree wrote:
what is a ripism?

I believe that the proper term is "ripery".

But I could be wrong.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 4:30 pm

I planned to make the following statement:

"I am actually extremely dedicated to being indifferent to this thread. I care so much about not caring that I get excited about my lack of excitement."

But who cares? :shrug: