Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 7:13 am

Or not. What do you think? Should I be buying canned goods and batteries right now?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 7:21 am

What government?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 7:32 am

I think things will be just fine. Who wants to be the party responsible for driving the US government off of a cliff?

Was not spoken of the soul.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 7:34 am

It's coming...no matter what they do. The question is WHEN, not IF.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 8:45 am

91 wrote:
I think things will be just fine. Who wants to be the party responsible for driving the US government off of a cliff?

I think the Tea Party would.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 8:46 am

91 wrote:

Except they'd both be, in the event of a default, because neither will accept the others proposed budget. The Republicans will blame the Democrats for not accepting the House budget, and the Democrats will blame the Republicans for not accepting the Senate budget.

Any more progress on that front, anyhow?

adb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 9:01 am

The sky is not falling.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 9:35 am

Magneto wrote:
91 wrote:
Except they'd both be, in the event of a default, because neither will accept the others proposed budget. The Republicans will blame the Democrats for not accepting the House budget, and the Democrats will blame the Republicans for not accepting the Senate budget.

I think that both parties may, in the end, blame the Tea Party Caucus, and that the GOP will become more Libertarian - that's just my hopeful opinion, anyway...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 10:36 am

I will make a small gentleman's bet. The government will not collapse tomorrow or the day after.

Not raising the debt limit means we will no longer be able to borrow in order to pay off previous loans. We will have to learn to live within our means and not constantly borrow. Living within our means!! ! Oh the horror, the horror!! !!

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

But, Ruveyn ... that means that our government leaders will have to ride around in the same limousines and private jets that they rode around in last year!

Oh, the humanity! !!

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMc-IswG3w[/youtube]

Seriously, this is nothing. The can for whatever problems need to be addressed will be kicked down the road. Nothing will really be any different between yesterday when this wasn't thought of as an issue, and tomorrow. Although despite any perceived need for complacency or lack of change, chance will always favor the prepared.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

Why our government fails...

They seriously make the rest of the world question if the American way is better.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 11:57 am

Sorry the apocalypse has been cancelled for today. http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/16/polit ... ?hpt=hp_t1

zer0netgain wrote:
It's coming...no matter what they do. The question is WHEN, not IF.

If you are going to be wrongplanet's last Roman, warning of the impending fall of the Empire. I recommend a toga and dignified speech. The Cassandra for our time should not be reduced to staccato remarks.

Was not spoken of the soul.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

Yeah, it's winding down. When the WSJ tells Republicans to stop hitting themselves and move on, it's well over.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

It's impossible for the US to default right now, we'd have to purposely choose not to service our debts. Our credit rating might be downgraded but that doesn't have anything to do with this fake "crisis", the same way it was downgraded after the debt ceiling deal last time.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 6:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I will make a small gentleman's bet. The government will not collapse tomorrow or the day after.

Not raising the debt limit means we will no longer be able to borrow in order to pay off previous loans [emphasis added]. We will have to learn to live within our means and not constantly borrow. Living within our means!! ! Oh the horror, the horror!! !!

ruveyn

Uh, that sorta f*cks up the world system where US treasuries are regarded as "good as gold". And, ruveyn, if the government really defaults on a bunch of loans and massively contracts spending during a slow growth period, that will

a) Generally suck
b) Hike the jobless rate
c) Probably result in the gov't defaulting on some of your social security payments.