Destruction of Basic RIghts or Justified Clampdown?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/10/23/bike-o23.html

The article pretty much sums up what is going on here in Australia. Whilst we have had some incidences of bikie gang violence it does seem to me that the authorities are using this violence to spearhead a new far ranging anti-democratic stance toward any who may challenge the ruling classes. As the article points out the laws target not only criminal gangs but can be used to imprison political opponents who can be charged with a range of offences including sedition.

I see both sides of the argument, however I do not trust any government with this kind of legal power. Not only that but the continued use of phrases like "urban Terrorism" "War on Bikies" etc is a deliberate ploy to deaden any response by alarmed people. I suspect we will see a gradual increase in the use of these laws gradually, insidiously ensnaring more diverse groups of people.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 7:43 am

Once you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns.

This includes the government.

Australia banned legal gun ownership for the masses how long ago?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

What has this to do with basic legal rights, I suppose the implementation of laws designed to control organised groups in time of crisis and the dis-arming of the population does have a link. But in todays world the gulf in weaponry between armed civilians and the military kind of makes this redundant. The libyan overthrow was achieved by western allies, and the only reason the opposition in syria is still active is due to outside supplies.

These laws are to round up groups and particularly their leadership on masse,

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm

Tell your representatives your not having it. Video tape the crap and of everything. If they threaten you dig you heals into the ground and refuse to take it your Australians for crying out loud not snakes crawling around on your bellies.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm

how the heck is that going to work, we have riots in the UK and Greece, in the US the occupy movement was shut down. The trouble is there is no organised resistance to this, just a bunch of disparate people who see the issues but have no real understanding of the forces at work. Their only agenda is to try and make a system behave contrary to its nature and this by definition will not work in the long term.

I am curious how others perceive these new laws. Here they are being skilfully packaged in a similar way to the patriot laws ie they are a necessary restriction on some rights as they are needed to prevent criminals from damaging our way of life. If you toe the line and do not obstruct the government in its important work then you have nothing to fear.

I see these laws as something to be extremely fearful of and see the potential for their use way beyond the scope in which we are being sold them.