Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 10:36 pm

Your attacking an analogy, WTH?

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 10:45 pm

If I was *attacking* it, I would've gone about it in a far less reasonable fashion. I think you'll find that I *extended* your analogy to support my point that not everyone shares your views. Also - I've suggested twice now that you explain *your* viewpoint instead of attacking other peoples... and both times, you've ignored my suggestion. So much for trying to encourage debate. I'd love to stick around and see how this unfolds, but as I've just said in the Away/Back thread, I have to leave WP for a while. So... I guess I'll just have to assume that you don't have a point to make in all of this, beyond discrediting the views of other people, seeing as that's all you've done so far.

...I wonder if you'll come up with a constructive reply this time, or just act all offended again? :roll:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 10:56 pm

I'm not offended, I'm just pointing out you're making the same logical mistake the Dawkin's does: showing how the analogy isn't perfect instead of the idea behind the analogy.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 11:49 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
. God can't make a square circle, for instance. .

But he can wrestle in the squared circle :P Live on PPV, God vs. John Cena......

Unfortunately Cena would probably still win, he's been booked like some sort of superman and the way theyr marketing him, only women and 10 yr olds would get into his act. Sorry for the random wrestling referrence, but now you know one of my primary aspie obsessions :P

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:18 am

Here's another hard philosophical question: If God is Omnipotent would He let people beat Him up and kill Him?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:26 am

Obviously he isn't, so you just answered you own question.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:36 am

Actually the answer is "yes He would". At least for His first coming. Second coming He'll kick some booty!

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 2:00 am

Or maybe he'll just be laying back and smoking a cigarette....

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 9:07 am

Doubt that.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 10:00 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Here's another hard philosophical question: If God is Omnipotent would He let people beat Him up and kill Him?

Wasn't his son?

That I don't remember much, some people say all of them are exactly the same person or entity, some say they are three separate entities I think. I don't remember much how my old church was with this exactly, I remember I thought they were three separate entities, the father, the son, and the holy ghost. Although that is considered as some sort of politheism or influenced by politheism from islamics and jewes.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 12:12 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Wasn't his son?

That I don't remember much, some people say all of them are exactly the same person or entity, some say they are three separate entities I think. I don't remember much how my old church was with this exactly, I remember I thought they were three separate entities, the father, the son, and the holy ghost. Although that is considered as some sort of politheism or influenced by politheism from islamics and jewes.

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
[Isaiah 7:14 KJV]

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
[Genesis 1:26 KJV]

Genesis 3:14-15 KJV
[14] And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
[15] And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 12:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
[Genesis 1:26 KJV].

That seems to justify the belief in the trinity as three separate entities, right? Because some people believe it is just one entity, just appearing in three different forms, hence the trinity. But I suppose there are different views on this.

I heard judaism only accepts one single entity and one individual, which obviously rejects the trinity idea, they don't see that as a true monotheism religion, that makes me wonder what the hebrew bible or the original writings say in Gen 1:26, not the translations, about the "us" and "our" thing.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 12:40 pm

In Genesis it talks about God as God together:

Genesis 1:1 KJV
[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

God as speaking things into existence, He's the Father:

Genesis 1:3 KJV
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

The Spirit of God:

Genesis 1:2 KJV
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

God appeared to Abraham as a man:

Genesis 18:1-3 KJV
[1] And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
[2] And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
[3] And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

The other men left, but Abraham was still with the Lord, a preincarnate form of Christ:

Genesis 18:17-22 KJV
[17] And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
[18] Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
[19] For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
[20] And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
[21] I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
[22] And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.

So in the first book of the Bible it mentions the Trinity.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 12:43 pm

greenblue wrote:

I heard judaism only accepts one single entity and one individual, which obviously rejects the trinity idea, they don't see that as a true monotheism religion, that makes me wonder what the hebrew bible or the original writings say in Gen 1:26, not the translations, about the "us" and "our" thing.

Here is the Jewish Publication Society translation:

Genesis 1:26 JPS
[26] And God said: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 7:02 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Being an atheist I don't care. It is not within the realms of the possible, so how can I argue it is possible. If you think of the impossible as possible it is neither possible or impossible. It is without meaning.

To MAN.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 7:04 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
calandale wrote:
Whoa, so man's laws of logic bind God?

You're assuming man made up logic. I would assert rather that the laws of logic were always there, part of the framework that makes up the universe; it's just one more thing man has discovered.

Man has discovered other logics, which work better
than the boolean one which is discussed. The point here
is that God is essentially unknowable. If this is true, 'tis
something inherent which is beyond the human understanding.

An important point. One which the pre-moderns understood
well. But, modern religion's hubris has become sickening.