Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Aug 2015, 1:04 am

What's the most annoying claim or promise that you're hearing in this campaign?

Mine is "We're a great country!" Well, yes, in what way does the politician expect to influence that? i.e. It says nothing at all. Politicians love saying nothing at all.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 3:55 am

Claradoon wrote:
What's the most annoying claim or promise that you're hearing in this campaign?

Mine is "We're a great country!" Well, yes, in what way does the politician expect to influence that? i.e. It says nothing at all. Politicians love saying nothing at all.

It may not be something, if in fact it is a given that we are a great country. Are we? If the Democrats lose the next elections, half of this country will stop calling dissenters "traitors," and dust off their Bush-Era "dissent is patriotic" bumper stickers. Young Democrats are never given a break from the constant bombardment of how and why this nation is a terrible place, unless of course they remake it in the mirror image of their values.

Add to that that most young people(democrat or not) don't have an affinity for this country, and a growing consensus across many age demographics of the bleak horizon ahead of us, that our best days are in fact behind us, then it may not be such a hollow claim. We are what we believe, and if the only narrative out there is that America sucks, then it may just end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Aug 2015, 4:39 am

I'm not annoyed by the claim that we're a great country, I'm annoyed by the assumption that this is a reason in itself to vote for the speaker.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:32 pm

The lack of any claims. The not taking a stand on anything.

This is a great country, but it needs an oil change, tune-up, new tires, shocks, compound and wax.

We had our ride, now time to fix it up for the next generation.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

The most annoying promise for me so far is the plan to end birthright citizenship. All this amounts to is pandering to natavist and racist bigots who think too many brown people are in America already.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

The most annoying for me is "Make America Great Again!"