Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

FabianV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

This dick measuring over hardships one has faced reminds me of the silly arguments I used to encounter from right wingers at university about poverty- because third world poverty is worse, the logic goes, people in the UK who have to choose between heating and food are just soft and complaining about nothing- which is a bit like saying that someone you punched in the face has no right to complain because you broke another guy's leg.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

adifferentname wrote:
woodster wrote:
That'd be funny if I didn't take the absolutely opposite tack for taking my experiences in general.

Like I said, they were experiences to overcome. I remember even as a child saying it was nothing and rubbishing it all. I joined the forces after my upbringing, that should tell you something.

That you should be grateful the armed forces disregard IQ tests?

Why do people like you force me to give details? Leading with yet another ill thought out insult are you? Its 141 via a supervised test thank you.

That's despite my background, good aren't I? Imagine if i didnt start life with so many set backs, i could be three times rather than just twice as intelligent as you.

I don't care about yours, please don't tell me.

adifferentname wrote:
Seriously, what genuine point do you have to make here?

My points were made but people like you bring in the insults because you can't make any good points and the subject drifts. That a good enough point to make about your point?

how about another point to be made about your post, everything you've said to me so far has been an insult. or did you completely forget that your monty python comedy for pretentious people was what made me address you in the first place?

aboringcunt wrote:
Quote:
Nice to post something and commit absolutely nothing to what's said though.

The message was clear, but I'll make the perfectly reasonable assumption that you were too stupid to get it. For clarification, you were engaged in a childish pissing contest. For further clarification, a pissing contest about the relative difficulties one has faced are effectively a reversal of Ad Hominem when applied the way they have been here.

Pissing contest that u can't stop yourself getting involved in? Love the Latin, you so clever. Pretentious prat. Im not changing the subject, I only responded to others changing the subject, as you're doing right now.

the subject reached that point because i was accused of having no life experience, which i clearly have in abundance.
adifferentname wrote:
Oh, speaking of which.

Quote:
I hope u aren't one of those middle class aspies whining u can't get a woman or make friends because I'll post this exact thing for you when I see it.

Should I now lower myself to the level of providing you with a list of challenges I've overcome, or would you prefer we just take out our dicks and start measuring?

I'd win. Get used to it.

Quote:
adifferentname wrote:
I certainly never have, the times when I talked about not making friends i only asked for shared experiences out of interest rather than asking for solutions.

So what? You're saying you're better than everyone else because you don't know how to ask for help? You're too proud of your background, the childhood you ran away from, to entertain any notion of accepting advice?

Nope, u wouldn't have any help to offer anyway. I don't ask for advice because I don't need any. My problem is one of not wanting any friends, it's not that I can't make them, and as such there's nothing to advise about.
adifferentname wrote:
Well here's some advice anyway. Flip back a page and you'll find the contributions that I've made to this topic. Now consider this. I don't feel that there is a general problem of sexism in modern society. Rather, there is a very specific problem - namely people like yourself. The extremists in this trumped up gender war all give their respective camps a bad name, and you, sir, are no exception.

Yawn, u still talking? I'm not an extremist. I have a healthy disrespect for everyone. I have nothing in particular against females, and if u paid attention to the specifics you'd know that. I just don't like the people that haven't earned my respect. Like you. Stick your advise up your arse and stop wasting my time with your saddo ganging up on me, its pathetic . I would happily stand around irl with all your mates egging you on, id destroy you intellectually and then i'd beat the s**t out of you afterwards.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
woodster wrote:

You do a lot of responding to what u want me to have said rather than what I actually said.

Nope. I'm responding to what you actually did say. For example:

Quote:
Any female here lived a more stressful life? I didn't think so. If I could manage being bullied, undiagnosed as, and operational service, I was the one with most the stressful existence on that ship and I didn't look for excuses.

Selective memory, much?

Quote:
U know what, I probably have had a harder life than u. But maybe u miss when I put in little things to balance what I say. Or purposefully miss.

I'm not going to go back and re-quote the entire thread. Anyone with half a brain can go back and re-read exactly what you said, including the part where you claimed you've had it "harder than almost anyone I ever met. ("Darling, I've had a tougher existence than almost anyone u ever met.")."

I've "met" plenty of people right here on Wrong Planet (including women) who could easily trump you in terms of traumatic life experiences, but I'm sure they've enjoyed hearing all about how your problems are so much more significant than theirs.

Quote:
You could do with a little balance to what you say once in a while. You sound such more like a person that's never found anyone u think had it harder than you.

I never claimed I had a "hard life" or that I had it "harder" than anyone. That's all you, buddy.

But we've apparently reached the point in this discussion where you're frantically backpedaling and pretending you didn't actually say what you said, so I'm going to leave it to any bystanders to read for themselves and come to their own conclusions. But thank you very much for taking time out of your hectic schedule to come educate us here at Wrong Planet that no one, no matter who they are or what they've experienced, has had a life as difficult as you. We all feel much better now.

Tootles.

hate to say it, but you're a poor replacement for LKL. Her arguments, despite her only arguing for arguing sake in some ways, were actually quite informative, and she actually has changed my mind in some subtle ways. Yours have not.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:55 am

@Woodster, a couple of technical points:
"ad hominem" is a common term used in arguments, not pretentious or anything fancy; it means, roughly, calling your opponent a booger head rather than addressing their points. It can take many forms, but basically it's any tactic used to discredit your opponent as a person, rather than attacking your opponent's arguments.
"You're a feminist, so I'm not going to listen to you."
"You're middle-class, so I'm not going to listen to you."
"You're pretentious/elitist/less under-privileged than me, so I'm not going to listen to you."
"Your dick is smaller than mine, so I'm not going to listen to you."
etc.
Using latin terms for logical fallacies is not generally pretentious; it's a shorthand way of describing why a certain statement by someone is illogical or irrelevant. It can be used as a kind of red herring (another type of fallacy) wherein either someone with a logic 101 class under his belt starts citing fallacies left and right without real regard to whether, or how well, they apply, or someone with a decent knowledge of fallacies, but impure motives, lists fallacies that sound like they might apply, but don't really. That can usually be detected when every single argument consists of nothing but 'that's fallacies x, y, and z.'
Sometimes ad hominem just a rhetorical trick to make you mad (and therefore illogical), and accompanies actual arguments, but often it's in place of arguments, or in place of solid arguments, and that's when it becomes a logical fallacy.
"cherry-picking" is selecting one or two sentences out of an entire treatise to either selectively respond to, or selectively cite, in order to either pretend that your opponent's argument is weaker than it is, or to pretend that a source says something different overall than what it actually said.
The polar opposite of cherry-picking is fisking, which is what I have been doing; to fisk is to take apart an argument sentence by sentence, methodically destroying the whole thing point by point.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:58 am

FabianV wrote:
This dick measuring over hardships one has faced reminds me of the silly arguments I used to encounter from right wingers at university about poverty- because third world poverty is worse, the logic goes, people in the UK who have to choose between heating and food are just soft and complaining about nothing- which is a bit like saying that someone you punched in the face has no right to complain because you broke another guy's leg.

QFT
The sexist version of this is, 'what are you complaining about? Women in Africa are having their genitals cut off, so stop whining.'

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:02 am

woodster wrote:
Why do people like you force me to give details?

1: Let me assure you that any compulsion stems from your own suppressed feelings of inadequacy.

Quote:
Leading with yet another ill thought out insult are you? Its 141 via a supervised test thank you.

2: See previous response.

Quote:
That's despite my background, good aren't I? Imagine if i didnt start life with so many set backs, i could be three times rather than just twice as intelligent as you.

3: Claims without evidence, yadda yadda. Also, see '1:'

Quote:
I don't care about yours, please don't tell me.

4: Because your fragile little ego can't take it?

Rest assured, mine is bigger.

Quote:
My points were made but people like you bring in the insults because you can't make any good points and the subject drifts. That a good enough point to make about your point?

5: For clarification, my contribution to this thread has included (in my opinion) an objective analysis of the data which informed the article discussed in the original post. Your contribution has been to make generalised attacks on women, to attempt to derail the discussion and create a narrative that supports your persecution complex.

Quote:
how about another point to be made about your post, everything you've said to me so far has been an insult.

6: Everything you have posted is an insult to the concept of open discourse.

Quote:
or did you completely forget that your monty python comedy for pretentious people was what made me address you in the first place?

7: :roll:

Quote:
aboringcunt wrote:
Quote:
Nice to post something and commit absolutely nothing to what's said though.

The message was clear, but I'll make the perfectly reasonable assumption that you were too stupid to get it. For clarification, you were engaged in a childish pissing contest. For further clarification, a pissing contest about the relative difficulties one has faced are effectively a reversal of Ad Hominem when applied the way they have been here.

Pissing contest that u can't stop yourself getting involved in?

8: How dare I comment on a public forum! Your self-aggrandising, misogynistic pity-train is above reproach, right?

If I'm such "aboringcunt" (because this is at least a million times funnier than anything John Cleese has said or done), why are you so compelled to respond? Don't bother answering, just see '1:'.

Quote:
Love the Latin, you so clever. Pretentious prat.

9: It's as if you're channelling Oscar Wilde. How do you come up with this stuff?

Quote:
Im not changing the subject, I only responded to others changing the subject, as you're doing right now.

10: I addressed this already. See '5:'.

Quote:
the subject reached that point because i was accused of having no life experience, which i clearly have in abundance.

11: Clearly you have no understanding of cause and effect. This began with "You have no idea whats it's like to live in a world where there are no excuses allowed. Women can always slope off and make an excuse".

Quote:
I'd win. Get used to it.

12: See '1:'

Quote:
Nope, u wouldn't have any help to offer anyway. I don't ask for advice because I don't need any. My problem is one of not wanting any friends, it's not that I can't make them, and as such there's nothing to advise about.

13: I genuinely feel pity for you now. Not because you don't have any friends, and not because of your delusional belief that your life has been more challenging than yet far superior to everybody else's. Rather it is the ill-conceived delusion of grandeur that informs your world view, traps your psyche in a self-perpetuating web of persecution and precludes any possibility that you might improve or grow as a human being that inspires both my sympathy and my disdain.

Quote:
I'm not an extremist. I have a healthy disrespect for everyone.

14: Sweet, sweet irony thy name is woodster.

Quote:
I have nothing in particular against females

15: I'll refer everyone to the first post you made in this thread, which includes such sentiments as "Females working is just a power play.", and invite people to draw their own conclusions.

Quote:
and if u paid attention to the specifics you'd know that. I just don't like the people that haven't earned my respect. Like you.

16: Your respect is neither meaningful nor sought after by anyone on these boards.

Quote:
Stick your advise up your arse and stop wasting my time with your saddo ganging up on me, its pathetic.

17: See points '1:', '4:', '5:' and '13:'

If you don't want to be hit by lightning, climb down off your pedestal.

Quote:
I would happily stand around irl with all your mates egging you on, id destroy you intellectually and then i'd beat the sh** out of you afterwards.

18: Wherein woodster provides conclusive proof of his impotence in his lifelong struggle vs personal demons.

The sad reality is that woodster embodies the reasons that feminism exists in its current form, and is partly responsible for the generalisations that stem from the reactionary views of modern day feminists. People (of both genders) like myself end up being tarred with the same brush, regardless of our stance on gender diversification. I will never so much as consider aligning myself with feminism, but any action they propose which will actually rid the world of this special brand of ignorance will receive my full support.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:20 am

Thread has degenerated into name calling, so it has been locked.