Whether or not God exists. Why do people care so much?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2013, 4:24 pm

It's because of Death, those with spouses, loved ones and family want to reunite with them. To attack that, is perhaps one of the vilest things you find on forums. I see no religious people attacking atheism in return that attempts to make them fear death. They are bad people, simply put, not because they don't believe in God, but because they are too immature to keep it to themselves.

Example:: The fact is more than a third of you reading this will die alone, and never achieve your dreams. Many will be dependents forever....a burden to the state when their family run's out. Most reading this will never marry. All logical truths most Atheists won't disagree with...but we don't address because it's rude and cruel. So why do this to believers repeatedly? Most of you atheists will end up in a worse situation than you are now in 20yrs, not a better one.Some will be in the same place they are now. Is that helpful or Hurtful...Well that's exactly what their doing, telling people there's no future, or hope. Attacking loss, family loss, loved ones loss is what atheists here enjoy. Emotional parasites that feed off of others fear, because they are in pain and want to share it with others.

90% of the threads Atheists start, are intended to hurt others, and take away peoples hope. I'll bet they secretly desire to go to hospitals to mock those dying of cancer and take away their hope too. They can't be that ignorant of what they do....It's got too be purposeful, no ones that unaware.

Good atheists, like good people give very little specifics to what they believe religiously as no one really cares. Bad Atheists, are like door to door evangelists. Most of the Atheist threads here are started by people with obvious mental issues. They loop the same topic over and over, not just atheism issues but other repeating topics.

Keep in mind there are many good atheists here, that don't start threads to hurt others. The internet is full of both good and bad people, and often we only notice the bad. I think the best thing to do often is ignore them, or treat their topic half heartily and have a laugh at them. Only crazy people actually think forums change minds or opinions to any effect.

I hope that answers the Original Post, on why Atheists do it.

Believers
They want to be smug, feel superior and show other believers they know more about religion online sorta like a virtual pissing contest. Obnoxious but not as mean-spirited as the group above.

Basically they are tools, of a specific denomination, sect, parish or whatnot trying to show how "They alone" are the truth. Especially online in forums. It's idiotic, as they have no more contact to Gods truth than another...but they do it. It's part ego, part insecurity and often a lot of inter-faith hate against a rival faith. Eg. Catholics and Protestants like to fight and not embrace greater Christendom because the followers prefer to be petty. Or Shia and Suni or whatever group of self assured jingoists.

Honestly I think both sides are wrong, ones mean spirited, and the other is petty.

I believe what I believe. I convert none to what I believe because I don't give a damn what a faceless screen-names believes in. Nobody should give a damn as it aint their business. My personal take on religion would most likely offend both sides...so I keep em to myself. Others should too.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 4:24 pm

People care about theology because they can claim that their "god" is on their side because their "prophet" said so and then wrote it down into a "holy" book and called it "religion". Then they can justify any atrocity they commit against another human being on the grounds that their "religion" permits it.

Science flies you to the moon.
Religion flies you into buildings.

Education gives little girls hope for a better future.
Religion puts a gun to a little girl's head an tries to take that future away.

Freedom is getting an education without religious indoctrination.
Religion is getting indoctrinated without an education.

Egalitarianism recognizes the equality of all people.
Religion declares that other people are inferior, and deserving only of slavery or death.

F*** Religion.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 7:18 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I care because without God, this life has no ultimate source for hope, love, or peace. So many terrible things happen every single day, and the only way I can deal with it is to try and trust that another life exists beyond this one, where perfect justice will be done, and purity will conquer evil permanently.

Taken at face value I can accept this and if it gets you through your life in a better way then go for it. But unfortunately this is not the case, you and your ilk do not use god as a personal emotnall staff, you take it beyond your personal coping mechanism, attempting to persuade others they need it as well. You "help" homosexuals live a life that is unnatural to them, you scare kids into believing your nonsense and where science stands in the way of your belief you don't just reject the truth personally, you use whatever influence you have to disabuse people of the facts.

The fact that you and your ilk are part of the problems you see would be funny if it were not for the deleterious effect your beliefs have upon others.

This is basically why I am interested in the existence of god. Without a belief in god we would not have the idiotic, damaging beliefs held by religion. Deism of course being one exception

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 7:40 pm

Ganondox wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Housedays wrote:
Why do people care so much? Why is there so much argument by people as to why there exists a God, or why there doesn't exist a God? Why do people care that much about proving or disproving that there's a God?

- Because there is a tendency for religious individuals to impose their religious views on politics
- Because there is a tendency for religious individuals to impose their religious views on science

If such tendencies did not exist, then I'm sure the entire topic would be rather boring, and that a lot of people would simply not care...

You don't need to attack the idea of God to attack moral problems with religion.

huh? You certainly need to, because the more immoral a problem within religion is, the more likely that the supposed existence of "god" is the only justification the people in that religion have for it.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 11:54 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Housedays wrote:
Why do people care so much? Why is there so much argument by people as to why there exists a God, or why there doesn't exist a God? Why do people care that much about proving or disproving that there's a God?

- Because there is a tendency for religious individuals to impose their religious views on politics
- Because there is a tendency for religious individuals to impose their religious views on science

If such tendencies did not exist, then I'm sure the entire topic would be rather boring, and that a lot of people would simply not care...

You don't need to attack the idea of God to attack moral problems with religion.

huh? You certainly need to, because the more immoral a problem within religion is, the more likely that the supposed existence of "god" is the only justification the people in that religion have for it.

No, it's not the belief in God, it's the belief that those problematic morals are decreed by God. The idea of God can exist without those, see Deism like ArthurDent mentioned.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

Ganondox wrote:

No, it's not the belief in God, it's the belief that those problematic morals are decreed by God. The idea of God can exist without those, see Deism like ArthurDent mentioned.

On the whole god and religion go hand in hand, they exist together and for most believers one cannot exist without the other.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:13 am

Housedays wrote:

Because if God doesn't exist, then it doesn't matter what you think or do - although I'm not denying that there is intrinsic moral programming, a conscience per say, within everyone basically. Not that people are "basically good", no, after seeing what humans do to defenseless creatures on an industrial scale for the mere sake of appetite I have no thought of humans being basically good whatsoever. But instead that we can recognize good from evil as an inbuilt program that has to be destroyed and rewritten (otherwise known as desensitization) in order to disappear.

However, if God does exist, the Creator of the universe who would be powerful enough to create such an enormous amount of mass, approximately 10^80 particles, which would be about 10^(80-23) = 10^57 moles, most of which might be hydrogen at 1.01 grams per mole, so approximately 10^54 kilograms of mass, which would be E = 10^54 kg * (2.998*10^8 m/sec)^2 = 9*10^70 Joules, and lets say God created everything within a week (even though in Genesis God rested on the 7th day and it was the 4th day when the sun, moon, and stars were supposed to be made/visible by) and a week is 604800 seconds, so minimum power expended as per that scenario would be 9*10^70 Joules/604800 seconds = about 1.5*10^65th Watts of power. In living systems, an extraordinary level of nanotechnology is present, so God would not only be extremely powerful but also extremely intelligent, so if God has any will or purpose it might be a good thing to find out. Hence, why some people might care so much.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 7:42 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Because if God doesn't exist, then it doesn't matter what you think or do
. I have a great deal of difficulty understanding this concept. I think you come to this as a result of your belief in god not the other way around. I love life and have no wish to grow, old infirm and die. I am envious of those who born in my lifetime will have double my life expectancy.I have purpose in this life, it matters very much to me how people I respect perceive me, and how I perceive myself. I revel in the marvellous intricacies of the natural world and new discoveries. The meaning of life for me is life itself and therefore iI do not need a greater purpose, in fact I think people who do are missing out. There is no need for god in my world.

A belief in god suggests that life on this earth is just a transitory formality that we all must bear. This explains why so many believers relish the end times. What a waste of their one and only life.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:43 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

. I have a great deal of difficulty understanding this concept. I think you come to this as a result of your belief in god not the other way around. I love life and have no wish to grow, old infirm and die. I am envious of those who born in my lifetime will have double my life expectancy.I have purpose in this life, it matters very much to me how people I respect perceive me, and how I perceive myself. I revel in the marvellous intricacies of the natural world and new discoveries. The meaning of life for me is life itself and therefore iI do not need a greater purpose, in fact I think people who do are missing out. There is no need for god in my world.

A belief in god suggests that life on this earth is just a transitory formality that we all must bear. This explains why so many believers relish the end times. What a waste of their one and only life.

It's not so much as God directly as implications. The implications if that if there is no God, we were created randomly, then there is no purpose to live. An extension is that there would be no afterlife, and everything you did in life would be completely meaningless. It doesn't matter if you completely wasted you life because in the end their would be complete oblivion, it's only because of our memories that we care. Anyway, I think it's a bit of a slippery slope, but whatever.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:53 am

My mantra has always been that the truth has no obligation to be pleasant. But if religious faith helps people make it through the day, than I completely understand if they choose to believe in something. I'm kind of with Mother Theresa on this one. The things she saw during her time in India destroyed her ability to have faith, but she continued to play the role that was expected of her because it brought comfort to people who had nothing else. There are millions, if not billions, of people in the world with nothing but faith to sustain them. Even if I believe it's not true, if I can make them feel better by acting a certain way, I'm willing to do it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:57 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Well, perhaps I should specify that it wouldn't matter what one would think of God if God doesn't exist. I understand there is much within this life worth living for too and wonder so much when people just throw their lives away acting like it doesn't matter. One thing that really irks me is that one of the justifications used for making people feel better about killing animals is saying that they have no souls - particularly churchians saying this as a justification I mean - which if true means that they're fine and dandy with stealing away and making horrible the one life that these creatures have.

Still believing in God, I've never looked forward to the end times. I've wanted to die before, having thoughts of suicide after my dad died and having to put up with my mom's third new boyfriend within two months of my dad's death, but I'd not wish the tribulation on any generation. I would like to see humanity spread throughout the solar system and expand throughout space as much as possible, some of that within my life time if possible and if possible I want to take part in that and live on the next frontier rather than on this decaying world.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:13 am

Ganondox wrote:

It doesn't matter. When the idea of god is the only justification for that BS, then you need to attack it.

Also, basing the understanding of the universe on a false idea brings useless results that delay our progress.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:22 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

It doesn't matter. When the idea of god is the only justification for that BS, then you need to attack it.

Also, basing the understanding of the universe on a false idea brings useless results that delay our progress.

Well it's never the only justification for that BS, so your point doesn't stand. :P

What's the purpose of "progress"? Why does it matter if it's delayed or not?

verlorenModus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2013, 8:33 am

which god? from which religion? most of the atheists who argue loudly across the internet are presenting arguments that are solely aimed at christianity like its the only religion on earth... or that all christians everywhere are exactly identical monsters. it shows that they are just as ignorant as the evangelicals they rail about.

GGPViper wrote:
Housedays wrote:

-because there is a tendency for atheists to impose their views on religion.

Fnord wrote:
People care about theology because they can claim that their "god" is on their side because their "prophet" said so and then wrote it down into a "holy" book and called it "religion". Then they can justify any atrocity they commit against another human being on the grounds that their "religion" permits it.

Religion declares that other people are inferior, and deserving only of slavery or death.

F*** Religion.

science built the cathedral
religion provided a reason

you are nothing more than a mirror image of the people you hate... same attitude (my way is the only way!), opposite direction.
f*** missionaries.

why cant we just live in peace? because fanatics on BOTH sides wont let us.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:52 am

Fnord wrote:

F*** Religion.

Jesus prevents you from flying into buildings. There are Arabs who want peace more than you, and detest suicide bombers more than you. The men who do things like that to children are the ones that Jesus verbally condemned. Indoctrination is never bad, unless it is.
Jesus never said men are inferior, and in fact was one of the first men to break boundries in a caste system as much as he did. He loves all creatures of his creation, he probably even loved the dinosaurs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:55 am

appletheclown wrote:
Fnord wrote:

F*** Religion.
Jesus prevents you from flying into buildings. There are Arabs who want peace more than you, and detest suicide bombers more than you. The men who do things like that to children are the ones that Jesus verbally condemned. Indoctrination is never bad, unless it is. Jesus never said men are inferior, and in fact was one of the first men to break boundries in a caste system as much as he did. He loves all creatures of his creation, he probably even loved the dinosaurs.

I wasn't referring to Jesus ... I was referring to Religion! Where did you see the word 'Jesus' in my post? It's Religion that inspires people to commit those atrocities against others, not Jesus.

Unfortunately, the founder of Islam was a pedophilic racist who also hated foreigners, and the religion he founded promotes violence and repression throughout its "holy" scriptures.

F*** Religion!