Page 2 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

saxifraga
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2013, 8:24 pm

It's none of my business what a woman chooses to do with her body.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 8:53 pm

It is no business what woman does with her body, that is true. But there is a point to all the defensive behavior us men exhibit regarding the women we love. Say my hypothetical gf gets raped: If this happened I would feel like I would want to hurt her rapist. After words, I get back from court and she says she wants to have the baby. Would I get mad? No. I would neither get mad if she wanted to get an abortion.
Say after this hypothetical s**t goes down, my son, born out of that is say, a wounded vet. I look, I see a rich, happy couple fighting over a broken condom. You can only imagine what anger I would feel towards people like them. I would want them to raise the kid she is carrying. Say I hear they are going to get an abortion. It would be infuriating! To see them abort his seed, and her flesh and blood, when we raised our son, never to be able to have our own. That is why so many people are pro life, and consider pro-choice cowards. Raise the kid, your a hero (technically you are doing what a manly father and mother would do), abort it we're done talking ever again.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:07 pm

I disagree that raising a child is "heroic," whether it's yours or not.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:13 pm

Look at it this way, raise the child, he/she gets to call you daddy or mommy, abort it, they're DEAD.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:27 pm

That is incorrect; abort it, and a 'child' never existed to start with.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 9:30 pm

LKL wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
When having sex you are always taking a risk, that's life. You take risks, and you have to accept the consequences if the risk falls through. By if you don't have sex you don't have any risk of getting pregnant, so if you don't want to have any unwanted pregnancies you can just avoid having sex. This is what makes rape different. Now, for biological reasons that means guys don't have as much risk with sex, and that disadvantage is unfair and abortions overcome that, but that's a different debate.

That's like saying that when you drive, you should accept the 'consequences' if you get into a car crash and just limp along on a broken leg until it heals by itself, rather than seeking medical treatment (assuming that you don't die).

The 'risk' of driving is car accidents. We have medical treatment for people who get into car accidents.
The 'risk' of sex is pregnancy and STDs. We have medical treatments for people who get pregnant or acquire STDs.

Not even close. The only rational purpose for sexual intercourse is reproduction (i.e., procreation of the human race) and the only rational purpose for driving is to arrive at a destination quicker than would otherwise be possible. So, when reproduction occurs after sexual intercourse, that's hardly analogous to crashing while driving for, in the first case, the activity (sex) has produced the correct result (pregnancy) whereas, in the second case, the activity (driving) has produced the incorrect result (crashing) rather than the correct result (getting to the destination quickly).

What is analogous to a crash, however, is an abortion. A pregnancy is supposed to result in a birth just as driving is supposed to result in getting to the destination. Therefore, an abortion is like crashing if we were to use your analogy.

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 9:31 pm

appletheclown wrote:
It is no business what woman does with her body, that is true. But there is a point to all the defensive behavior us men exhibit regarding the women we love. Say my hypothetical gf gets raped: If this happened I would feel like I would want to hurt her rapist. After words, I get back from court and she says she wants to have the baby. Would I get mad? No. I would neither get mad if she wanted to get an abortion.
Say after this hypothetical sh** goes down, my son, born out of that is say, a wounded vet. I look, I see a rich, happy couple fighting over a broken condom. You can only imagine what anger I would feel towards people like them. I would want them to raise the kid she is carrying. Say I hear they are going to get an abortion. It would be infuriating! To see them abort his seed, and her flesh and blood, when we raised our son, never to be able to have our own. That is why so many people are pro life, and consider pro-choice cowards. Raise the kid, your a hero (technically you are doing what a manly father and mother would do), abort it we're done talking ever again.

You can be mad all you want, but at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is that you do not have the right to tell someone else what to do with their body. If the woman doesn't want to be pregnant, that is her choice and hers alone.

And I don't know what is so heroic about raising spawn when every life form on this earth reproduces. Humans are not special in that regard.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 9:37 pm

Dynania wrote:
If the woman doesn't want to be pregnant, that is her choice and hers alone.

A choice that is best effectuated by not having sexual intercourse. How can one seriously think that pro-life people want to take away the right of a woman to choose not to be pregnant when the safest, cheapest, and most effective method of not getting pregnant is to not have sexual intercourse? Come on, think about this logically.

Last edited by American on 07 Dec 2013, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:37 pm

American wrote:
The only rational purpose for sexual intercourse is reproduction (i.e., procreation of the human race)...

Hahahahahahahhah!
OMG
(calming down)
If that were the case, the issue would be moot, because no one would ever have sex unless they wanted to reproduce.
Quote:
the only rational purpose for driving is to arrive at a destination quicker than would otherwise be possible.

Oh, dude. You must have such a joyless life.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 9:44 pm

LKL wrote:
American wrote:
The only rational purpose for sexual intercourse is reproduction (i.e., procreation of the human race)...

Hahahahahahahhah!
OMG
(calming down)
If that were the case, the issue would be moot, because no one would ever have sex unless they wanted to reproduce.

Um, did you ever consider the possibility that humans behave irrationally? Which is exactly what one is doing when one is having sex but doesn't want a pregnancy to result just as surely as one who doesn't want to die is acting irrationally by playing Russian Roulette with a revolver.

Quote:
Oh, dude. You must have such a joyless life.

I would think that my fellow Aspies would understand my perspective on this. No? Am I the only one who is not experienced in this arena?

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 9:52 pm

American wrote:
Dynania wrote:
If the woman doesn't want to be pregnant, that is her choice and hers alone.

A choice that is best effectuated by not having sexual intercourse. How can one seriously think that pro-life people want to take away the right of a woman to choose not to be pregnant when the safest, cheapest, and most effective method of not getting pregnant is to not have sexual intercourse? Come on, think about this logically.

Are you really going to tell a married couple that they shouldn't have sex unless and until they want a kid? Most married couples, especially Christian married couples, feel sex (with or without the resultant pregnancy) is an important part of marriage. In the Bible, it even says that men and women are not to deny their spouses the use of their bodies.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 9:58 pm

My point was merely that the the "safest, cheapest, and most effective method of not getting pregnant is to not have sexual intercourse." And, generally, the safest, cheapest, and most effective way of doing something or preventing an unwanted condition from coming about is also the best way. Am I right?

What the Bible says is irrelevant to this point. Besides, what does the Bible say about abortion?

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 10:09 pm

American wrote:
It say a lot of silly things in the Bible. The Bible is a source of a lot of examples of irrational behaviors in the name of the man in the sky. Add that to the list. But, if we must talk about the Bible, what does it say about abortion?

You may find it foolish, but many people don't. The Bible never actually talks about abortion, just murder, and I don't believe abortion is murder because a fetus is not a person. Your way is not the only way to do things.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 10:12 pm

If a fetus is not a person, what is it? A monkey? Tell me when life begins if not at conception. And once again, of course my "way is not the only way to do things" but when it comes to not being pregnant, not having sexual intercourse is the cheapest, safest, and most effective way of avoiding pregnancy. Do you dispute this?

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm

Take a look at all the teen pregnancy statistics in states that teach abstinence only sex ed. Then you will see just how effective expecting people not have sex actually is. But I don't know why we are arguing about this. Abortion is legal.

American
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm

Dynania wrote:
Take a look at all the teen pregnancy statistics in states that teach abstinence only sex ed. Then you will see just how effective expecting people not have sex actually is. But I don't know why we are arguing about this. Abortion is legal.

If abortion were illegal people could still choose to use the cheapest, safest, and most effective way of avoiding pregnancy. Therefore, it makes absolutely no sense to claim that those who want to ban abortion are somehow infringing on the right of a woman not to be pregnant. Am I right?