Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:28 am

Greetings again,
for those of you who don't know me, I used to post here a few years ago and had gotten tired due to being attacked. Since becoming vegan (still a Christian fyi, even though I do have some difficulty with swearing at work [although less since I no longer work retail]), and also I was a bit frustrated with not being able to share excerpts from a documentary on factory farming which had convinced me of becoming vegan (a year prior I had decided upon vegetarianism, namely lacto-ovo, because (1) I didn't know about what happens to male chickens at hatcheries and bobby calves in dairy farming and (2) I bothered to think about the injustice of creatures being sentenced to death for another creature's appetite and being executed without having committed any capital crimes of their own.). Since becoming a vegetarian I've lost over an hundred pounds and feel healthier than ever, although that is secondary to the plight of innocent creatures.

Anyway, more news: March of last year, I had been hired by a small retail/pharmacy/convenience store -which stank, but the timing of getting that job was awesome, especially after looking for work for so long without any results and then getting employed right when my wife had lost her job. Thank God that only lasted a year though, as working 11 hours of third shifts 8 days on and 6 days off per two week pay period really was taxing in and of itself, and then add on the drama of the customers and dealing with lazy managers who wouldn't even let me really take my breaks (the only time one shift lead would let me take out the garbage from the restrooms and breakroom was during my breaks, saying that even though I'm not allowed to work on my breaks that he wouldn't complain about it to the general manager and otherwise also encouraging me to use my free time to work during.) By the way, lawyers of that lousy piece of trash store chain, I am a United States Citizen and I will exercise my 1st Amendment rights. I hereby absolve Wrong Planet of any consequences of them respecting my right to freedom of speech, you lousy slavers. My information is over a year out of date, so perhaps it's no longer valid. I know corporate fired the general manager, so hopefully you lazy isolated brats have dealt with the rest of the lazy isolated brats within the one store I worked at also. Either way, if you bother to take me to court, I will not settle, I will take you to trial and hopefully win in favor of every other employee who has been censored for the sake of immature and emotionally unstable customers who can't bear to ever consider the possibility of their ever being wrong.

And now back to something completely different: This year March, I started working for a plastics company (plant based steric already) and I assemble plastic crap from toilet brushes to air filters. I've applied within the company now to be a molding assistant, but that's a 50/50 thing at this point, either way just having started there I was making more than my managers at the one retail place. I could have switched to working in molding as an operator a couple months ago for a lame 50 cent raise, but for keeping the same wages I would not be required to work every other weekend and I kind of like not working 12 days in a row. If I work as a molding assistant however, then it would be a $2.00 per hour raise and I would consider that more worth the extraneous amount of consecutive workdays.

Still occasionally studying academic subjects and certification textbooks autodidactically, but with working it is difficult to find time that I don't want to part with because I am tired. I want to learn so much, and yet I procrastinate too darn much and for that I hate myself.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm going to hang out much here or not, but hello anyways to anyone that cares.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:37 am

Good on you for being a vegetarian/vegan and taking responsibility for your food chain.

How was Australia? ;p

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:46 am

LKL wrote:
Good on you for being a vegetarian/vegan and taking responsibility for your food chain.

How was Australia? ;p

Thanks.

I wish I could go to Australia to be able to say, it seems like an awesome place and the birds of Terra Psittacorum are cool too.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:26 pm

Welcome back 'Keet. Long time, no see.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

Kudos on losing the weight, I find it somewhat laughable that you "had gotten tired due to being attacked" you, like I, can be very abrasive, you added to this by attempting to propagate nonsense as science, hopefully you have discarded your intransigent belief in the age of the planet and have stopped trying to square the circle in regard to evolution. BTW I was vego then vegan for almost 20 years, circumstances conspired to turn me back to meat, I do often consider going back to a vegetarian diet.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

Jono wrote:
Welcome back 'Keet. Long time, no see.

Hello there!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:57 pm

Welcome back!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Kudos on losing the weight,

Thanks.

DentArthurDent wrote:
I find it somewhat laughable that you "had gotten tired due to being attacked" you, like I, can be very abrasive, you added to this by attempting to propagate nonsense as science,

While I can be fairly abrasive, it wasn't my views as a creationist that were the issue. The issue had to do with my not approving of a lifestyle I cannot endorse, of which I was asked my opinion on and provided my opinion only to be ganged up on and have fake crap made about me throughout the internet just so some people of said lifestyle could have their laughs at my expense. It's like, you want my opinion? Okay here. Oh, what? You only want my opinion if it's the same as your own opinion? Would you not bother asking me for my opinion if you don't want to hear it?

DentArthurDent wrote:
hopefully you have discarded your intransigent belief in the age of the planet and have stopped trying to square the circle in regard to evolution.

Sorry, although in considering the horrors that God allows to happen to animals in the hands of men I have wondered about the nature of God and what philosophy God would have to justify letting such things occur (even if "temporary" as per Isaiah 11 and 65), I kinda still consider the "ends justifies the means" to be a horrible excuse for the existence and practice of evil. Also, I wonder how such evil can legalistically not be considered sin in God's book. At the same time, previously being omnivorous, I'm glad such isn't legalistically considered sinful - but at the same time I hate myself for the practical Hell I have helped to put so many poor creatures through and wish I had never bought meat or paid for hatcheries to sort out egg laying hens from their brothers which then are subsequently ground up alive. What is wrong with people that someone would even devise a macerator to be began with? It probably would be too difficult for most humans to have that evil as a sin, especially when parents force their children to eat animals either knowingly or unknowingly and such is beyond their control. It's still weird that something so plainly evil to anyone who bothers thinking about the injustice of it could even technically be consider not sinful, but it would seem to be something similar to divorce in which Jesus had said, "Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so." and context in Matthew 19 if you're interested or don't know it already. In Genesis, herbivory was the initial situation, and omnivory wasn't even permitted until after the Flood, and in Isaiah 11 and 65, it talks about a return to that Edenic situation for eternity - but even within this paradigm, it worries me that so many trillions of innocent lives could be treated as insignificant just for the sake for redeeming the offspring of humans that deserved to die like He said they would for failing his test. I don't know exactly what to think, but it saddens me that so many innocent creatures are executed without having committed a crime of their own.

DentArthurDent wrote:
BTW I was vego then vegan for almost 20 years, circumstances conspired to turn me back to meat, I do often consider going back to a vegetarian diet.

Please do, for the creatures that don't deserve to go through the Hell that we humans put them through. I have in-laws which would love to see me return to omnivory, but the lives of innocent creatures matter more than such stupid family politics or any "friends" elsewhere.

Hello again anyway.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

Well, if they weren't going to be turned into food, then most of them would never have been born in the first place.

So, at least they receive the brief gift of life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:09 pm

^^^Ever see the inside of a Tyson's chicken house?Thats not much of a life.
If I had to be born as a broiler,I'd rather not be.
Free range if you have to eat meat is the most humane.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:23 pm

I'm almost a vegetarian... Nowadays I make it a point to only eat herbivores.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:26 pm

Hmmm interesting, so it seems whilst you still take the literal meaning of the bible in preference to known facts you are beginning to see some of the absurdities held within the book. It will be a challenge to continue questioning the conflicting stories and not succumb to a fear of the almighty on what will no doubt be a long and at times difficult journey.

Ps might I suggest you start a veganism thread before this "hi I am back" turns into one. You never know you might find an unlikely ally :wink:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 7:44 pm

Fwiw, those male chicks probably lose consciousness more quickly (i.e., suffer less) than a broiler or a Thanksgiving turkey getting its head chopped off. Accepting the need for animal products almost inevitably means accepting at least a small amount of animal suffering; even Temple Grandin does not ask for 'perfection' in her animal handling designs.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:19 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Welcome back!

Hi there. Don't remember you, but thanks still.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:22 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, if they weren't going to be turned into food, then most of them would never have been born in the first place.

So, at least they receive the brief gift of life.

A hellish life of slavery and captivity, in which their escape is being killed so that their bodies are mutilated and eaten.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:24 am

Misslizard wrote:
^^^Ever see the inside of a Tyson's chicken house?Thats not much of a life.
If I had to be born as a broiler,I'd rather not be.
Free range if you have to eat meat is the most humane.

Free range is just a larger cage, no range, and either way they're still sentenced to death without committing any capital crimes.