Do the poor who don't work deserve charity?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 5:03 pm

I think this kind of focus by Americans has done a lot of harm to the welfare systems in this country and so I agree with this article:

http://bostonreview.net/blog/fischer-de ... y-religion

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:06 pm

I see Paul is again sited by conservatives as saying, "he who will not work does not eat," as if that negates every call to help the poor found all through out the rest of the Bible. Well, it doesn't.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:24 pm

theres a difference between those who don't work out of a malignant attitude and those who don't work for lack of opportunities.

My deviant art profile

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

I serve meals once a week at the local homeless shelter, and have donated money and pallets of food to that same shelter on many occasions so that the homeless might have something to eat. While some are homeless because of drug abuse, mental illness, or criminal activity, most of them seem to be trying to make something of themselves and get out of poverty.

If anyone deserves charity, they do - a hand up, not just a handout ...

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:43 pm

Poverty taxes the brain, making it harder to get out of poverty:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-a ... rain/6716/

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

beneficii wrote:
Poverty taxes the brain, making it harder to get out of poverty:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-a ... rain/6716/

I'd agree with that article. Its also a self fulfilling prophecy as well, impoverished people are expected to engage in self destructive behaviour and all factors are set up to make them fail.

My deviant art profile

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:56 pm

Those who are poor and don't work, require help into work and is entitled to charity.

Ones who are poor and can't work deserves societies full support.

Ones who are poor who wont work, actively avoid work, chose not to and has nothing else of priority in life, deserves little.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:29 pm

Don't work as is can not work or don't work as in will not work?

ruveyn

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:47 pm

We're rapidly approaching the point where we can produce plenty for everyone to consume without employing everyone. We don't actually need as many people to work as there are people.

People are just so attached to the Protestant work ethic that they can't see that society no longer needs it.

Obviously, some people can only feel good about themselves by seeing other people that are worse off, but that's another issue.

Abolish work!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
We're rapidly approaching the point where we can produce plenty for everyone to consume without employing everyone. We don't actually need as many people to work as there are people.

People are just so attached to the Protestant work ethic that they can't see that society no longer needs it.

Obviously, some people can only feel good about themselves by seeing other people that are worse off, but that's another issue.

Abolish work!

The problem of scarcity is far from solved. Particularly in the realm of services. I think we can see to it that no one starves because we produce so much food in this country. And we can probably arrange sufficient shelter that people do not die of exposure. But that is a long way from assuring that a person will become a functioning part of society and have a sense of worth.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:51 pm

A few bums is the price you pay for knowing that the social safety net catches everyone, including you. I grew up poor, my father did not work for years because he was always studying, not for himself, but so that he could help me with my homework and it was not easy for him to learn. I am in a PhD program and have a solid path out of poverty.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:49 am

In my opinion yes, there are many reasons why someone might not be employed and its not always entirely the fault of that individual...it is possible to be disabled either physically or by suffering from some mental disorder and poor. But besides that even an able bodied homeless or poor person may be unable to find work due to lack of resources to keep up hygene and appearances as well or there could be issues affording transportation or even a lack of jobs in the area. so there are barriers to them finding employment to help themselves. Unfortunatly getting a job isn't guaranteed even if you put effort into it so since the job market does not support all the citizens there has to be a safety net which is where welfare comes into play.

Now I certainly do not have any respect for people who choose not to contribute anything and drain welfare resources that could be used for people who need it, but I think that issue gets blown out of proportion and the barriers to gaining employment tend to be ignored.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:58 am

ruveyn wrote:
Don't work as is can not work or don't work as in will not work?

ruveyn

But who determines that? And is their determination fair? Or is it too biased against the poor that even the truly needy are left out in the cold?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 1:02 am

If they are disabled in a way they cannot work yes but if they are poor and just lazy and abusing food stamps they need to be handed a job application to sign out and sent off to work![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oDpTsrj5g[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nE4bYYnmCs[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavou_SEj1E[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 2:04 am

Quote:
Do The poor who don't work deserve charity?

More so than the rich who don't work getting government bailouts.

Diagnosed in 2005

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 2:07 am

Fnord wrote:
While some are homeless because of drug abuse, mental illness, or criminal activity, most of them seem to be trying to make something of themselves and get out of poverty.

Why are the mentally ill being lumped with the drug addicts and criminals as opposed to people trying to make something of themselves?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html