Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

This is apparently a part of yoga and is supposedly among the harder yoga techniques to master. It involves taking your tongue and moving it behind and above the soft palate and up into the nasal cavity. A lot of practitioners promise that being able to do so would have all sorts of health and other benefits, like curing illness, but in my experience I would beg to differ.

Now, I hadn't known about Khecari Mudra until like the last couple years or so, but I've been practicing it since I was 9 or 10 when I discovered this technique on my own--it's become a bit of a habit for me to move my tongue into my nasal cavity, actually. And I doubt its health benefits, because since figuring it out, I've had a major psychotic episode at 14 (though followed by a wonderful improvement afterwards) and times when I've been sick. In fact, I'm down with acute bronchitis right now.

So what do others think about this?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 3:47 pm

I've never even heard of it.

But I don't really like the sound of it to be perfectly honest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:03 pm

That's a big one-two punch to me!

That there is an art form devoted to doing that- thats one stunning piece of news to me.

And that you discovered how to do it on your own- thats the second surprise.

Never occurred to me to give myself a tongue job like that before. Though now that you mention it- I can kinda imagine how it could be done.

I'll have meditate on this for a while!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:05 pm

I Google imaged it.

I think I'll give it a miss thanks.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:35 pm

Almost immediately upon learning this, I began to explore my nasal cavity. When I come up, where the palate separates the nasal cavity from the mouth, I feel something that's like a soft plain. I find when I'm having a lot of mucus drainage, there is this very thick mucus that is almost like a very thick wire and that cannot be "cut" with the tongue so to speak. When there isn't much, the mucus is very thin and watery and I can often collect it with my tongue. As I go further to the front, I can feel a very thin bone that I know now separates the 2 nostrils. In the back of each nostril, I can feel a sort of pouch like thing. I find that when my nose is stuffy, the pouches almost fill the nostrils and may have a rough texture; whereas when my nose is clear, they are small and soft, receded to the bone that separates the nostrils. I find that I can't really move my tongue into my nostrils. If I go to the sides, there are these very protruding bones. If I go to the top and back, I can feel a bone that is like a bump. If I go to the top of the nasal cavity, there is this weird, almost alien, pouch thing. It's hard to describe, to be honest, and I'm not sure what it is. I find it gets kinda irritated if I move my tongue on it too much, though.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:39 pm

It sounds like a whole new world that you've discovered.