Do most aspies like offending people with religious talk?

Page 1 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 7:12 pm

So I'm no expert here, but after reading a couple of threads and posts in the PPR section, it seems like a large portion of aspies enjoy purposely offending people by attacking or slandering religious beliefs.

I went through a phase where I enjoyed doing this too. I stopped a while ago, but at one point I loved trolling using this technique. I personally think it does no good now but in the past I would do this all the time.

Sometimes I would use mean jokes or make it obvious I had a scholarly justified hatred of this or that belief.

It's not that bad on here, but you can tell some people are trying to troll people with certain beliefs without technically breaking the guidelines.

Do any of you guys do this or have noticed this on here? Be honest. :P

Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 7:56 pm

Well this topic has come up repeatedly, the feeling amongst some of the people around here is not only is it fun, but religious people also deserve it.

Was not spoken of the soul.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 8:01 pm

91 wrote:
Well this topic has come up repeatedly, the feeling amongst some of the people around here is not only is it fun, but religious people also deserve it.

Okay. Do you think they deserve it?

Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 8:13 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
91 wrote:

Okay. Do you think they deserve it?

Even if they did, its a dreadful way to communicate.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 9:49 pm

In and out of the AS community, religious people are often mocked simply for believing something they can't see. There's many people in the world who assume that if they can't detect it with their senses, it doesn't exist; such a worldview is called naturalism. However, when asked for purely-natural causes for things like love, grace, or creativity, most naturalists resort to hurling personal insults. They believe that personally humiliating the challenger defeats the argument, but the reverse is actually true.

I've heard it asked many times, and have repeated it myself as well: if Christianity's pure fiction, then what incentive did the New Testament authors have for inventing it? With the exception of Judas Iscariot and St. John, all the apostles were brutally murdered, their only crime being refusal to renounce Christ as the risen God and King. To say they falsified it means they knew it was a lie, and no one in their right mind ever allows themselves to be killed for that.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 9:59 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
In and out of the AS community, religious people are often mocked simply for believing something they can't see. There's many people in the world who assume that if they can't detect it with their senses, it doesn't exist; such a worldview is called naturalism. However, when asked for purely-natural causes for things like love, grace, or creativity, most naturalists resort to hurling personal insults. They believe that personally humiliating the challenger defeats the argument, but the reverse is actually true.

I've heard it asked many times, and have repeated it myself as well: if Christianity's pure fiction, then what incentive did the New Testament authors have for inventing it? With the exception of Judas Iscariot and St. John, all the apostles were brutally murdered, their only crime being refusal to renounce Christ as the risen God and King. To say they falsified it means they knew it was a lie, and no one in their right mind ever allows themselves to be killed for that.

Okay. What do you think Buddha's incentive was?

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm

I don't know if it is offending on my part is really accurate, often not always they open with something very insulting and proceeded to walk all over me, I will point blank call them on it. Its pretty rare to run across someone like that. I will say I am much happier doing that because if you do not call them on there insulting behavior they will just keep on doing it. So nipping an abusive relationship in the bud is a very positive thing. This is not exclusive to religious nuts. You may end up not being friends but its better that being treated like crap all the time.
See Foiling the Cults

In my past experiences the most pushy overtly religious are the most scandalous, scammish, not very trustworthy individuals.
To me religion is all about guilt manipulation.
Stephan Molyneux "God" is really the fear of others.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVI4kzoZmy0 [/youtube]

So all the seemingly nutty religious beliefs are actually tools to manipulate guilt and fear.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 10:45 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
If Christianity's pure fiction, then what incentive did the New Testament authors have for inventing it?

To provide propaganda that would keep the Patriarchy in power, promote slavery, keep women subjugated (and thus maintain the patriarchy), and to justify conquest of foreigners and indigenous peoples by genocide.

These were the principles of America's Founding Fathers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm

Well..technically speaking per a peer reviewed study..as linked below..with subjects from this very forum we are now participating in ..there is still more people who believe in a higher power here than those who do not...

http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/procee ... er0782.pdf

And while the percentages are substantially higher than a similar so called 'nt' demographic..there is still only around a third of individuals on this forum who indicated in that study..that they were actually atheist..

On average as compared to the control groups there were also substantially more people who developed their own private religious beliefs as opposed to existing structured religious beliefs.

But here is the common thing..about this whole thing..the common denominator for so called 'higher functioning autism spectrum folks' is that in all studies done to this point..they report much higher rates of bullying and ostracism..and down right shunning from their peers everywhere they go...

And yes..this includes church..

But the studies also show something else..and that is those individuals who are bullied in younger years..are much much more likely to bully other people..including intellectual bullying..particularly if co-morbid symptoms of ADHD are present...

It is pretty obvious to me..that this whole thing about atheists and 'revenge against the so called christians..or what not..in theistic beliefs in GOD..is based on abuse and or improper treatment of others..at least in part...

And simply an act of vengeance against..internet foes..that obviously can not fight back in real life..as opposed to those offending bullies..that could surely beat their ass.. quite frankly.. if they did it in real life...

But that's how hate works..it can be a vicious cycle..of vicious reciprocal hate of social interaction...

Whereever there is an outlet and oh my GOD..this is a fairly safe haven..for so called intellectual bullies here...who likely were shunned..abused..or ostracized by others most unfortunately for simply being different....
But alas that is what puberty emerging social primates ..including human beings do..they filter the perceived weak fish out of the Aquarium..to preserve the observed subsistence and reproduction making tools for the perceived stronger..fish..and nah..that ain't often the perceived autistic ones..at least not until they find a way to adapt to adversity..in a more or most positive way....

Well i refused to hate..even when I was told in no uncertain terms by schoolmates that i did not deserve to exist..but instead of hating back..i learned to accept people with different ways of beliefs..cognitive strengths and weaknesses..and ways of looking..and turned that HATE BY OTHERS INTO A MUCH MORE POWERFUL FORCE..LOVE!!

It makes my skin crawl..to even imagine..making fun of someone's true will in this life..whether that includes a belief in GOD or NOt..

Life is simply too short for hate..period..in my best estimation....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 11:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
If Christianity's pure fiction, then what incentive did the New Testament authors have for inventing it?

To provide propaganda that would keep the Patriarchy in power, promote slavery, keep women subjugated (and thus maintain the patriarchy), and to justify conquest of foreigners and indigenous peoples by genocide.

These were the principles of America's Founding Fathers.

Sad but true..but that does not necessarily reflect the beliefs or teachings of the historical man Jesus..who actually is reported to have lived during that time..and even potentially survived an attempt at crucifixion and lived to a ripe old age in Kashmir to age 80..continuing His way of life as essentially a Buddhist Monk...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaW6BYhfNM[/youtube]

Yah..Patriarchy is some pretty powerful stuff..but and a big BUTTisIT IS most definitely on a steady decline worldwide..

AS information technology is making it literally obsolete...

Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 12:04 am

Fair question, bad example. Buddhism is not really comparable to the claims made by monotheism and is rather more philosophical. One of the things that frustrates me when discussing religion with atheism is the myopic view that they make a, more or less, interchangeable set of claims. Such a view is pretty common among communities of atheists that have really only ever encountered monotheism of the Abrahamic strain.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 12:44 am

91 wrote:

Fair question, bad example. Buddhism is not really comparable to the claims made by monotheism and is rather more philosophical. One of the things that frustrates me when discussing religion with atheism is the myopic view that they make a, more or less, interchangeable set of claims. Such a view is pretty common among communities of atheists that have really only ever encountered monotheism of the Abrahamic strain.

Alright that makes sense :D

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:35 am

91 wrote:

Well words can be fairly empty vehicles and vessels of meaning..and just rhetoric overall..when IT COMES TO THE ESSENCE OF ALL THINGS..that Buddhists often reach in life..and seriously most 'so called' Christians..never come close to experiencing..simply as it is now mostly a religion of hate and overall discontent..in effective reality..and no fairy book tale...

It's easy..hate is never Christianity..in no form whatsoever...

At least not the stuff that the real historic dude called Jesus promoted per the real historical texts..that indicate as such....

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:56 am

I don't like offending people, but sometimes I'm compelled to indirectly offend.

TheWizardofCalculus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 2:26 am

Personally, I have a large amount of disdain for religion. I don't like the philosophy it instills and I don't like the way it often makes people think and feel about the world. However, it's been a long time since I've attacked people for being religious.

Truth be told, anymore I look at more in a way that I am befuddled by people (especially intelligent people) who believe in things like religion, or any other pseudo-intellectual belief system. I get that it makes people happy --for reasons I'll admit that I don't understand-- but I just wish people's innate response was "Believing this makes me feel better and helps me cope with the world", instead of "Clearly, Book X is the most important book ever written and is obviously true. Can't you see that it's obviously and plainly true?"

The aspects of religion that lead people to bully people (homosexuals, women, science, atheists, followers of other religions, etc) really bothers me though. It's why I have such a strong distaste for the entire practice of religion. If all religions followed the Methodist example, I'm pretty certain that my only problem with religion would be that it makes claims that don't correspond to this reality.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:38 am

TheWizardofCalculus wrote:
Personally, I have a large amount of disdain for religion. I don't like the philosophy it instills and I don't like the way it often makes people think and feel about the world. However, it's been a long time since I've attacked people for being religious.

Truth be told, anymore I look at more in a way that I am befuddled by people (especially intelligent people) who believe in things like religion, or any other pseudo-intellectual belief system. I get that it makes people happy --for reasons I'll admit that I don't understand-- but I just wish people's innate response was "Believing this makes me feel better and helps me cope with the world", instead of "Clearly, Book X is the most important book ever written and is obviously true. Can't you see that it's obviously and plainly true?"

The aspects of religion that lead people to bully people (homosexuals, women, science, atheists, followers of other religions, etc) really bothers me though. It's why I have such a strong distaste for the entire practice of religion. If all religions followed the Methodist example, I'm pretty certain that my only problem with religion would be that it makes claims that don't correspond to this reality.

Well..i go to the Catholic Church in my area..that i was raised in and while there was discord of hate there years ago...all of that has changed..and all there is is LOVE..and a mission against oppressing anyone regardless of differences..and accepting everyone..

If that were to change..and there was any talk of oppressing anyone I would likely leave..but as long as there is LOVE that iS ALL that counts to me..

i cannot expect for all the rules and structures that are the traditional antiquated background of any church..influence what is actually the LOVE that happens in that actual church..

But so much of that is variable..and really depends on who is in charge..and if that person really walks in the foots steps of Jesus..and does more than talk..a good story..but does not make it happen in real life...

And yah..that's just one path to LOVE..it does not take religion at all to find the essence of LOVE..

The beach could just as easily be my church..or even my backyard..as a grassy stadium to dance with GOD and or LOVE and no other distractions....