Do most aspies like offending people with religious talk?

Page 12 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 9:50 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I go to outpatient rehab now. It's AA/12 step based so the level of religious studies is high. Almost every other sentence is God this or Higher Power that. To an atheist like myself it's very annoying. It feels like religion is being forced down my throat. The facilitator says, "Try a substitute, like a tall tree." I think that's ridiculous. A substitute name changes nothing. I don't believe their is a higher power. It's that simple.
Who is forcing this? Are you in the US? AfaIk it's illegal for a government agency to force someone to go to AA for the very reason you describe.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 3:44 am

LKL wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
I go to outpatient rehab now. It's AA/12 step based so the level of religious studies is high. Almost every other sentence is God this or Higher Power that. To an atheist like myself it's very annoying. It feels like religion is being forced down my throat. The facilitator says, "Try a substitute, like a tall tree." I think that's ridiculous. A substitute name changes nothing. I don't believe their is a higher power. It's that simple.
Who is forcing this? Are you in the US? AfaIk it's illegal for a government agency to force someone to go to AA for the very reason you describe.

I've heard of a few cases where celebrities have chosen to go to court-mandated rehab to deal with drug and alcohol problems instead of spending time in prison. Now, I'm not certain what the circumstances are at play here, but from the sounds of it a person can be legally forced into rehab, at least in the US. Now here in Canada, forcing someone into a faith-based program would be a major violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a.k.a our constitution.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 7:56 pm

afaIk one can be forced into rehab, but not into a religiously based one.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 4:32 pm

Are there many non faith based rehab organisations? From my understanding the US government only funds fatih based charities. If so this might affect the number of secular vs faith rehab centres.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

I think that the faith-based ones are probably more common, but there *are* secular programs out there; most of the medical/clinical programs, afaIk, are secular. And they have a higher success rate.

edit: the op could google 'secular rehab my town,' and probably find something; if not in his town, then somewhere nearby.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 2:16 am

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
So I'm no expert here, but after reading a couple of threads and posts in the PPR section, it seems like a large portion of aspies enjoy purposely offending people by attacking or slandering religious beliefs.

I went through a phase where I enjoyed doing this too. I stopped a while ago, but at one point I loved trolling using this technique. I personally think it does no good now but in the past I would do this all the time.

Sometimes I would use mean jokes or make it obvious I had a scholarly justified hatred of this or that belief.

It's not that bad on here, but you can tell some people are trying to troll people with certain beliefs without technically breaking the guidelines.

Do any of you guys do this or have noticed this on here? Be honest. :P

Op knowingly does what he claims to be indignant about.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
So I'm no expert here, but after reading a couple of threads and posts in the PPR section, it seems like a large portion of aspies enjoy purposely offending people by attacking or slandering religious beliefs.

I went through a phase where I enjoyed doing this too. I stopped a while ago, but at one point I loved trolling using this technique. I personally think it does no good now but in the past I would do this all the time.

Sometimes I would use mean jokes or make it obvious I had a scholarly justified hatred of this or that belief.

It's not that bad on here, but you can tell some people are trying to troll people with certain beliefs without technically breaking the guidelines.

Do any of you guys do this or have noticed this on here? Be honest. :P

This kind of thing is not a fad to just one group, literally everyone in the world with a superiority complex (thinking themselves as the "voice of reason" when discussing religion) does this exact thing.
In my experience (even on here) 9 times out of 10, a religious argument will break out because non-believers will challenge someone's beliefs, right to believe, and/or validity of those beliefs and will use their own brand of "logic" to continue the argument. And then they always fall back to "does god even exist? no because science doesn't support that" and other such nonsense that is pointlessly debated in every topic that god or religion is even mentioned.
It's so predictable, that I'm willing to bet (keep in mind, I haven't read any responses) that it will become an argument in this topic as well, assuming it hasn't already. If you were to go look at other such topics, in almost every one of them is the same argument. It got so ridiculous, that I stopped coming to the PPR for a long time because it was pointless. Even now I only come back once every few months or so.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:36 pm

Personally I love offending religious people. I love blasphemy, and using their own sacred texts and the force of reason against them. I love resisting theocracy. I wouldn't force this on anyone, but if the subject comes up... yes I get a thrill out of it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:48 pm

AspE wrote:
Personally I love offending religious people. I love blasphemy, and using their own sacred texts and the force of reason against them. I love resisting theocracy. I wouldn't force this on anyone, but if the subject comes up... yes I get a thrill out of it.
Me too its really fun and easy to do so whether it involves using actual logic and applied sciences to debunk their religious views or simply mock and perverse their religious views for amusement. Like say Jesus masturbates and had sex with lots of women and ate pork even though he was a jew and also got drunk alot![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FrKcHVmXZQ[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37Njzu86PY[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTaODGxsd0[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvth8SquUIc[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 8:19 pm

No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm

AspE wrote:
No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.

False, making statements like "making their beliefs look as silly as they are" is what is offensive, not "reason and logic" (which is just as subjective as religion itself).

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 3:46 am

Jaden wrote:
AspE wrote:

False, making statements like "making their beliefs look as silly as they are" is what is offensive, not "reason and logic" (which is just as subjective as religion itself).

Agreed, sort of.

Anyone who has done LSD or DXM or sativa or some other mind-altering drug of the kind knows that one can only trust his brain so much. Any reasonable person knows that they cannot with certainty trust their own sanity, sense of reason, and intelligence. You could call this supersanity if you wish.

I tend to tune out anyone who claims to be all-knowing. A lot of atheist debates online just turn into pointless, vacuous, pissing contests. A sad sight.

However, I do believe all religions are nonsense. That doesn't mean I think religious people are stupid. I just think they are "wrong". Evidence, from my perspective, does back up atheists and agnositcs. so the atheist trolls often have the facts on their side, but that doesn't mean they are smart or anything. It just means they are on the winning end of the war. Hurling abusive insults at people who are perhaps suffering want to believe in something greater than themselves isn't smart. It's dumb.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 5:24 am

AspE wrote:

No, it doesn't. Many religious people are quite adept at using reason and logic, and many atheists aren't. It is possible to make any belief look silly.

I'll admit to having a liking for offending bigots, religious or otherwise, including atheists who think not having a belief in God{s} somehow makes them smart. Also those who huff and puff about 'reason' and 'logic' and who are give to scientism.

So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with me. :D

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

They offended me first and do it frequently. So I just like to repay the favor.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Cash__ wrote:
They offended me first and do it frequently. So I just like to repay the favor.

Well, when you do "repay the favor", don't generalize the action and don't generalize religious people as a whole. If you annoy people that specifically annoyed you, fine, but don't do it to the group just because you're disgruntled about the few. People that do that are one of the contributing problems to the divide.