Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

That's actually kind of funny. XD I mean, don't many of the militant bible-thumpers insist that the Bible is the irrefutable word of "God" or something?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

*splutters* Not conservative enough? I was reading through Corinthians today, using my concordance, and they've managed to make Paul condemn homosexuality even when he's used a word that doesn't refer to homosexuality. I believe the bible is the word of God, but I'm not so sure about the translations...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 7:29 pm

That article looks like satire

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 8:54 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

The bible IS satire!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 9:12 pm

It's just so irritating how disconnected many Christians are from the ideas expressed by Jesus in that Bible. Pull the two by four out of your own eye first.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

buffinator wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

The bible IS satire!

Actually, it's more like a collection of folk tales with a very slight hint of history and a bunch of conjecture thrown in. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 10:53 pm

Dont have to read it to know its a put-on.

But...come to think of it....

Gosh darn! It NEEDS to be rewritten!

Like when Christ said "render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Render unto to God what is God's."

That plays right into all this modern "seperation of church and state" flapdoodle! We gotta put THAT quote on the cutting room floor!

The Bible doesnt even mention AR 15's, and how God granted us all the right to own them!

The bible condemns male homosexuality. But they forget to mention lesbians altogether. AND it does also condemn 'touching the flesh of a pig"(in effect forbidding playing football) when we know darn well that God dislikes both kinds of homosexuals, and that he loves football.

Im sure there are plenty of other improvements possible.

I mean- its the unerring word of God ofcourse. But, you know...God obviously has a speech impediment, and he needs us to give him a little speech therapy. Nothing wrong with that, I say!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 12:27 am

ArrantPariah wrote:

If only that were true. As a matter of fact, Phylis Schaffley and her spawn who created Conservapedia have been talking about a new, better Bible translation.
I can remember when it was liberal modernists who were the ones accused of rewriting the Bible!

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 12:52 am

I hope that article and the project it refers to are both farces, because otherwise I'd find it deeply appalling. As far as I know, the only times the Bible's been extensively reworded were to clarify the intentions presented in the original text. Secularists scream all the time about different camps deliberately twisting it for their own purposes, but the only group I'm aware of having done that are the Jehovah's Witnesses.

The various books combined in the Bible were originally written in the conversational languages of their respective eras, so the masses could understand them. As centuries have passed, the Scriptures continue to be revised for clarity, and I have no problem with that. The intent and integrity of the Bible matters much more than what specific word is used to convey it. For example, "fornication" means the same thing as "sex outside of marriage", while "thievery" means the same thing as "stealing". Just be consistent, and don't go against God's intended message.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 4:56 am

the last time I know of it was modified entirely was in 1,100ish at nicene but that was to more to clarify which supplements were cannon and which were heresy

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 5:24 am

Well... my concordance suggests that fornication refers to sexual promiscuity, rather than blanket sex outside of marriage. It seems to be more of a refusal to be faithful to one person rather than not getting a scrap of paper from the state.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dont have to read it to know its a put-on.

But...come to think of it....

Gosh darn! It NEEDS to be rewritten!

Like when Christ said "render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Render unto to God what is God's."

That plays right into all this modern "seperation of church and state" flapdoodle! We gotta put THAT quote on the cutting room floor!

The Bible doesnt even mention AR 15's, and how God granted us all the right to own them!

The bible condemns male homosexuality. But they forget to mention lesbians altogether. AND it does also condemn 'touching the flesh of a pig"(in effect forbidding playing football) when we know darn well that God dislikes both kinds of homosexuals, and that he loves football.

Im sure there are plenty of other improvements possible.

I mean- its the unerring word of God ofcourse. But, you know...God obviously has a speech impediment, and he needs us to give him a little speech therapy. Nothing wrong with that, I say!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Maybe they will make it a pop up book.All the good scenes,stonings,smitings,and hell fire.
And Jesus will have an AR15 when he takes on the money changers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 9:41 am

It sounds like something right out of the Onion.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!