Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:59 am

Why is honesty punished in this world? Why can't we tell the truth (at least as how we percieve it/think it is)?

Today I read on another forum about politics, that my arguments in favor of public welfare are invalid, because I am biased (I am on welfare myself).

Hell, the only difference between them and me is that I am honest about my self-interest. Nobody knows anything about their self-interest.

Again, I am punished for being honest.

Why isn't honesty rewarded in this world? Should I go about lying? What's that lie about that the truth will always prevail? It clearly doesn't!

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 6:52 am

The main reward of honesty is being at peace with yourself. The main punishment of dishonesty is not being at peace with yourself.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:03 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Today I read on another forum about politics, that my arguments in favor of public welfare are invalid, because I am biased (I am on welfare myself).

Green

as

the

grass

grows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 9:43 am

It's not so much honesty is punished as people are just dicks to those who aren't aligned with them.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 12:34 pm

Diogenes went with a lamp in the the middle of the day, full of daylight in Athens. When asked about it, he said: "I'm looking for an honest man"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 12:36 pm

Why is honesty punished in this world? Why can't we tell the truth (at least as how we percieve it/think it is)?

Hell, the only difference between them and me is that I am honest about my self-interest. Nobody knows anything about their self-interest.

Why isn't honesty rewarded in this world? Should I go about lying? What's that lie about that the truth will always prevail? It clearly doesn't!

No Good Deed will go unpunished.

ruveyn

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 1:19 pm

This is not an example of honesty being punished. This is an example of somebody thinking that your arguments are biased by self interest. You were honest about your self interest. The other person was honest about why they thought this would make your arguments biased. Nobody got rewarded or punished.

What reward were you expecting, exactly?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 5:26 pm

Because most all humans are so egotistically fragile that they make an Aspie having a public meltdown look like a Buddhist monk.

It takes a lot of intellectual and emotional integrity to confront the truth because the truth is rarely pretty to look at.

People prefer a comfortable lie to the cold, unvarnished truth.

So, being "honest" tends to get you in trouble more than sucking up and parroting a lie.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 6:14 pm

Sometimes the best answer is nothing.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

I ended up undergoing an hours-long ordeal culminating in an expensive municipal bylaw ticket because I was honest. Had I lied to them I probably would have been let go.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 10:10 pm

xenon13 wrote:
I ended up undergoing an hours-long ordeal culminating in an expensive municipal bylaw ticket because I was honest. Had I lied to them I probably would have been let go.

You'll know better next time. Honesty usually doesn't pay.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 11:34 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

You'll know better next time. Honesty usually doesn't pay.

Several months later a nasty cop put the gloves on and went up to me and said, "Are you with them?", referring to people nearby, and I said "no"... even though I did end up there with them but I was not with them at that moment and did not know about their plans... and then made all sorts of threats, and asked why I was trying to record the proceedings; "Are you trying to be a witness?", he asked. He must really think the police are horrible people who do shameful things all the time! What a jerk.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 12:13 am

Some people insist on being lied to, especially management types. The truth can be embarrassing and / or a liability.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

You have to lie to survive. People expect it.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:34 pm

Honesty not backed by love can wound and kill, too.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:57 pm

Janissy wrote:

This is not an example of honesty being punished. This is an example of somebody thinking that your arguments are biased by self interest. You were honest about your self interest. The other person was honest about why they thought this would make your arguments biased. Nobody got rewarded or punished.

What reward were you expecting, exactly?

I was expecting that my honesty about my self-interest would give me more credit than those who were not honest about their self-interests.