Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Is there morality without God?
YES! Somethings are simply wrong! 85%  85%  [ 34 ]
NO! If God decided that torturing babies was righteous it would be righteous! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 40

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:25 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I can understand your argument, but it is unworkable. Which external standard should humanity use? Each religion has its own god or gods and its own set of moral principles that each religion believes is given by their own god.
The key to this is accepting absolute truth, which many don't want because it means their beliefs are wrong. Some would protest with "Who are you to judge?", and my answer is "I'm not. This has nothing to do with me; I'm just a messenger. Take your problems to the source; He can handle it."

I don't have any problems with your suggestion. I simply don't credit it with any validity or value. The world is full of messengers for various gods and belief systems. Yours is just one of the many and of no more validity than anyone else's absolute authority.

TallyMan wrote:

Quote:
Throw in the fact that religion is in the decline and that secularism is in the ascent, most people aren't going to accept such external standards.
Religion in general may be declining, but there's still tons of people in the world who serve Christ. The ministry He started is the biggest on Earth, with Islam and Judaism not far behind. All three have one thing in common: the acceptance of an external final authority.

And does does that mean you accept Muslims external final moral authority that it is good to proselytise the unbelievers or to kill those who refuse to be converted?

TallyMan wrote:

Quote:
That is before even mentioning that atheists and secularist don't even believe that the external standards were even created by a god; they are simply moral standards written by men a long time ago.
The debate has been about belief for far too long; people need to get back to discussing truth instead of throwing emotional tantrums. In the end, it doesn't matter what any of us choose to accept in our minds; absolute truth will be the deciding factor. If any religion is 100% true, then by definition, all others are false; that notion upsets a great many people, but its supposed to.

Emotional tantrums? Where did you get that from? You speak of absolute truth but in reality all you offer is dogma. No religion is 100% true - all are false. The notion that upsets Christians is that their entire belief system is founded upon make belief. It is mythology and legend rolled into fantasy. No serious minded secularists or atheists are going to accept such mumbo jumbo as a basis for morality.

TallyMan wrote:

Quote:
Another argument against the external moral standards is how badly out of touch they are with modern society and how badly used/abused they are to inflict subjugation or even terror over other groups of mankind. The world is full of religious people who believe it is their moral duty to proselytize the unbelievers and even to kill them in the name of their external god given moral standard.
I've often said that the key to understanding different belief systems is looking at those who originally founded them, not the applications today. Just because different religious values are abused, that doesn't mean they should be discarded completely.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3MLJUOW9NE[/youtube] :lmao:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
If you have to believe in a magical invisible man in the sky that has no proof of existence to be a good person you are weak minded and only use religion as an outlet for your behaviors. You dont have to believe in a god to be a good person if you think otherwise you lack logic, reasoning and are simple minded.

If there is no god, what is good? Then there could be multiple, conflicting definitions of good. No one has any authority for saying what is right and wrong, only what helps humanity and promotes happiness and what hurts it. Most people accept hurting humanity as "bad" and helping it as "good", but there is nothing that says it has to be that way.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2014, 3:42 pm

the language of moral realism arises out of a desire to treat moral intentions as existing independent of any particular human minds. this is typically accomplished by locating them in the mind of god, where they are allegedly unaffected by human desire. abandoning an absolute basis for morality, one may continue using moral realist language metaphorically, understanding the "moral ground" to be a provisional intersubjective ground, an abstraction supported exclusively by human desire and consensus. in that case, there can still be "good" in the sense of what we agree to want for one another. however, retaining language rooted in the assumption of an actual moral ground tends to leave a moral ground shaped hole in one's head, which may lead to silly questions.

Last edited by wornlight on 22 Jan 2014, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
If you have to believe in a magical invisible man in the sky that has no proof of existence to be a good person you are weak minded and only use religion as an outlet for your behaviors. You dont have to believe in a god to be a good person if you think otherwise you lack logic, reasoning and are simple minded.

If there is no god, what is good? Then there could be multiple, conflicting definitions of good. No one has any authority for saying what is right and wrong, only what helps humanity and promotes happiness and what hurts it. Most people accept hurting humanity as "bad" and helping it as "good", but there is nothing that says it has to be that way.
Normally we go by instincts as humans we are social creatures and naturally we look out for eachother as a community in our group similar to how chimps are in their groups. If an outsider which poses a threat tries to attack our group we will protect by any means necessary. A mother has the instincts of looking out for the well being of her off spring and love and nurture it it is seen in both humans and animals. Good is what actions that will lead you in a possitive outcome not only for you but for those surrounding you bad is what would lead to a negative outcome for you and those around you for your actions. There is no magical man to tell you that, I mean its simple common sense not to go run around killing and raping people because its a rather messed up thing to do. But if a god existed and told you to stone your 4 year old son to death because he does not believe is a rightious and good thing or raping non believing women is a good thing then that is your definition of good. I dont need an invisible man to be a good citizen of society I just follow the laws and not willfully be an as*hole to everyone i meet. Simply treat those the way you want to be treated its as simple as that.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 22 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:52 pm

Christianity is based on the belief that the Bible relates actual events.

Belief proves nothing.

The fact that the first written account of the life of Jesus (the Gospel According to Mark) was written in Greek (not Aramaic), about 25 to 35 years after his death, obviates another fact -- that the Gospels were not written as on-the-scene eyewitness reports, but were instead written from the collective memories of people who allegedly witnessed the related events.

30 years can distort anyone's memory; and the Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John later embellished on an already-distorted account of what may (or may not) have been actual events. If one reads the Gospels in their chronologic order (Mark, Matthew, Luke and then John), one notes an increasingly supernatural aspect to what was originally a rather mundane account of one man's ministry.

Note that the chapters on the "Virgin Birth" appear only in Matthew and Luke, which were written sometime between 60 and 100 C.E., and that both Mark and John omit the "Virgin Birth" story entirely.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Simply treat those the way you want to be treated its as simple as that.

Yes, that is morality in a nutshell without all the bullcrap and divine mumbo jumbo wrapped around it. Treat others as you want to be treated. Most of us learn during infancy that it is wrong to hurt others or to steal because we don't like it when others steal from us or hurt us. Why make morality more complicated than it needs to be?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:00 pm

TallyMan wrote:
... Why make morality more complicated than it needs to be?

Profit.

If I can preach a sermon that makes you feel guilty enough to give me money as a form of atonement, then I could theoretically become wealthy by doing the same to dozens -- or hundreds -- of people at once.

Then I could offer psychological counseling (at $200 per session) to remove that guilt, and send you back to church!

Yes ... greed is good ...

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
If humans just invented morality, then everyone would agree on it

unfounded, without merit, ridiculous, nonsense, absurd, and demonstrably false.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
If you have to believe in a magical invisible man in the sky that has no proof of existence to be a good person you are weak minded and only use religion as an outlet for your behaviors. You dont have to believe in a god to be a good person if you think otherwise you lack logic, reasoning and are simple minded.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGjziqe_Zak[/youtube]

:thumleft:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:31 pm

I clicked on YES.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:49 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I voted "no" because as the eternal Creator of all,

Nol one has ever heard the Real God. The God of the priests, the preachers, the rabbis, the immams, the prophets and the various religious fanatics is a fevered product of their own imaginations. The Real God does not communicate with us nor are we capable of communicating with the Real God. It is where It is and we are where we are.

ruveyn

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I voted "no" because as the eternal Creator of all,

Nol one has ever heard the Real God. The God of the priests, the preachers, the rabbis, the immams, the prophets and the various religious fanatics is a fevered product of their own imaginations. The Real God does not communicate with us nor are we capable of communicating with the Real God. It is where It is and we are where we are.

ruveyn

Then how is it relevant to us?

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Good is what actions that will lead you in a possitive outcome not only for you but for those surrounding you bad is what would lead to a negative outcome for you and those around you for your actions. There is no magical man to tell you that, I mean its simple common sense not to go run around killing and raping people because its a rather messed up thing to do. But if a god existed and told you to stone your 4 year old son to death because he does not believe is a rightious and good thing or raping non believing women is a good thing then that is your definition of good. I dont need an invisible man to be a good citizen of society I just follow the laws and not willfully be an as*hole to everyone i meet. Simply treat those the way you want to be treated its as simple as that.
You just defined good. Good can exist in the sense that it can be defined, but that is your opinion (and I think the opinion of most humans) of good. Good, unless there is a god, is not a universal truth/concept/thing/whatever. God is necessary for a universal definition of good. Humans can define it for our own purposes, but in the grand scheme of the universe, our actions are not good or bad, they simply are. If there was a god ruling over this universe, then he/she/it could define good to be any set of actions/intents that he wants.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Good is what actions that will lead you in a possitive outcome not only for you but for those surrounding you bad is what would lead to a negative outcome for you and those around you for your actions. There is no magical man to tell you that, I mean its simple common sense not to go run around killing and raping people because its a rather messed up thing to do. But if a god existed and told you to stone your 4 year old son to death because he does not believe is a rightious and good thing or raping non believing women is a good thing then that is your definition of good. I dont need an invisible man to be a good citizen of society I just follow the laws and not willfully be an as*hole to everyone i meet. Simply treat those the way you want to be treated its as simple as that.
You just defined good. Good can exist in the sense that it can be defined, but that is your opinion (and I think the opinion of most humans) of good. Good, unless there is a god, is not a universal truth/concept/thing/whatever. God is necessary for a universal definition of good. Humans can define it for our own purposes, but in the grand scheme of the universe, our actions are not good or bad, they simply are. If there was a god ruling over this universe, then he/she/it could define good to be any set of actions/intents that he wants.

Even if God exists, Good is best known for it rarity among humans.

ruveyn

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
If you have to believe in a magical invisible man in the sky that has no proof of existence to be a good person you are weak minded and only use religion as an outlet for your behaviors. You dont have to believe in a god to be a good person if you think otherwise you lack logic, reasoning and are simple minded.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGjziqe_Zak[/youtube]

:thumleft:
Shes definately right about 4:45 :lol: