Page 9 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 3:09 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Anywho I dont have issues with the movement itself just the radical loudmouths of the movement I dont really identify myself as a feminist nor a MRA but more of an egalitarian or a humanist. Since both parties claim to be going for gender equality like feminism but at the same time ignores the issues of members of the opposite gender face as well. Apathy towards male victims of the same system if men get abused they scoff it off and called those same men the same as those who abuse women and lack the sympathy. And without further ado I introduce girl does rant have a nice day! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPok3q932rk[/youtube] We need humanism more than MRA or Feminism we all need to work together every human is exploited regarded of gender age and creed etc. This person is like the female version of me and I totally agree with her.

the only thing i got from that video is "i'm justified in my wrong actions, but no one else is." :lol:

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 3:29 am

starvingartist wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Anywho I dont have issues with the movement itself just the radical loudmouths of the movement I dont really identify myself as a feminist nor a MRA but more of an egalitarian or a humanist. Since both parties claim to be going for gender equality like feminism but at the same time ignores the issues of members of the opposite gender face as well. Apathy towards male victims of the same system if men get abused they scoff it off and called those same men the same as those who abuse women and lack the sympathy. And without further ado I introduce girl does rant have a nice day! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPok3q932rk[/youtube] We need humanism more than MRA or Feminism we all need to work together every human is exploited regarded of gender age and creed etc. This person is like the female version of me and I totally agree with her.

the only thing i got from that video is "i'm justified in my wrong actions, but no one else is." :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I got.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 3:40 am

Another video not much longer after Radicals of any movement can do more damage to any movement in question what they claim they are going for. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKesGV9LmE[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:39 am

billiscool wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Why do feminists heckle stand up comedians? Dont they know its an act and they are jokes not to be taken seriously?

Yeah,feminist,it's called freedom of speech.Feminist,you
don't speak for all women.

So in the name of freedom of speech, feminists should shut up? It's just as easy to shout 'freedom of speech!' back at those complaining about the feminists speaking out.

'Freedom of speech' means the state won't censor people. It does not mean someone can say what they want without someone else vocally disagreeing. If someone says something, and then I intervene and take them to task for it, in no way am I violating their freedom of speech. A particular venue may have its own rules about heckling etc - that's up to them.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:48 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

"Person on YouTube finds what they have to say agreeable, what others have to say disagreeable".

Eesh. Did she use a pitch shift or something? I assume it's the mask that makes the voice sound weird. And boy, do I not like being pointed at.

"All men are inherently rapists", she mocks.

Is this not the concept behind victim-blaming? Behind the idea that, where a woman does not take sufficient care (in what she wears, how much she drinks, where she is, who she's with) and is sexually assaulted, well, what did she expect? That any man, when given the chance, will take advantage? This idea finds wide, unconsidered acceptance within society, but rephrase it bluntly as 'all men are inherently rapists', and suddenly there's an outrage - 'how ridiculous! Sheer misandry! Man haters!'.

Feminism considers the inequality and exploitation of women as women, usually by men. There is a lot of disagreement between people who sincerely consider themselves feminists as to how such things come to be, and what to do about them, and what a 'feminist' world might look like. And of course, feminism - as any movement of social or political analysis/action - will bear the marks of the culture in which it emerges. This is why we need structural analysis - considering matters of culture and media and economics and politics and race/ethnicity and sexuality etc - or, as the kids have it nowadays, 'intersectionality'. Most feminists I've come across are aware of such.

MRA considers....what? That feminism has gone too far? That men and women have 'proper', 'natural' places/roles, and that when we stray from that, it all goes to hell? I'll grant, I've seen them highlight some child custody decisions that, if accurately reported, were terrible. But as far as the MRAs were concerned, this was because of the evil feminists.

But these are old, old stories. Nothing new. This is the mythographer Marina Warner, from a lecture given in 1994:

Quote:
One of the stories in mass circulation today is a very old one, but it’s taken on new vigour: women in general are out of control, and feminism in particular is to blame. It is odd to think that misogynist jokes used to attack women for wanting to trap men into marriage. Now the attacks run the opposite way. The tabloids bitterly quote young mothers who say: “So who needs men?” Feminism today has become a bogy, a whipping boy, routinely produced to explain all social ills. Women struggle for equality of choice in matters of sex, their grasp of sovereignty over their bodies; are blamed in particular for the rise in family breakdown, the increase in divorce, and the apparently spiralling delinquency and violence of children. In these lectures I will be looking at the mythic accretions clustering stickily to these themes: men are no longer in control, mothers are not what they used to be, and it’s the fault of Germaine Greer, Cosmopolitan and headline stars who choose to be single mothers like Michelle Pfeiffer. By holding up to the light modern mythical nodes of this kind I hope to loosen in some cases their binding grip on our imaginations. Replying to one story with another which unravels the former has become central to contemporary thought and art, text as well as image. The idea of a kind of cultural kontakion, the Greek antiphonal chorus across the nave of response and reply, invocation and challenge opens a new angle of view.

The she-monster is hardly a new phenomenon. The idea of a female untamed nature which must be leashed or else will wreak havoc closely reflects mythological heroes’ struggles against monsters. Greek myth alone offers a host - of Ceres, Harpies, Sirens, Moirae. Associated with fate and death in various ways, they move swiftly, sometimes on wings; birds of prey are their closest kin - the Greeks didn't know about dinosaurs - and they seize as in the word raptor. But seizure also describes the effect of the passions on the body; inner forces, madness, art, folly, personified in Homer and the tragedies as feminine, snatch and grab the interior of the human creature and take possession. Ungoverned energy in the female always raises the issue of motherhood; fear that the natural bond excludes men and eludes their control courses through ancient myth, which applies various remedies. In Aeschylus’s Oresteia, when Orestes has murdered his mother Clytemnestra, the matriarchal Furies want justice against the matricide - but they find themselves confronting a new order, led by the god Apollo. Orestes is declared innocent, and in a famous resolution which still has power to shock audiences today, the god decrees:

The mother of what’s called her offspring’s no parent
but only the nurse to the seed that’s implanted.
The mounter, the male’s the only true parent.
She harbours the bloodshoot, unless some god blasts it.
The womb of the woman’s a convenient transit.

In this brutal act of legislation, the god of harmony declares that henceforward, in civilised society, only the father counts. The mother is nothing more than an incubator.

The spectre of gynocracy, of rule by women, stalks through the founding myths of our culture: both Theseus and Hercules fight with the Amazons - and vanquish their queens. The Amazon’s separatist queendom made them tantalising but also monstrous in the eyes of the Greeks; the terrible massacres of their army depicted on stone reliefs and vases redounded to the fame of the Greek heroes as surely as cutting off Medusa’s head.

In the folklore of the past, classical and medieval, the female beast was sometimes cunning and purposely concealed her true nature: the Sirens lured men with their deceitful songs, and later tempted fierce anchorites in the desert, approaching St Anthony for instance, with honeyed words, hiding their diabolical nether parts under sumptuous dresses. Male beasts, as in Beauty and the Beast, or male devils, as in the temptations of St Anthony, don't possess the same degree of duplicity; you can tell you’re dealing with the devil on the whole, but when evil comes in female guise, you have to beware: the fairy queen may turn to dust in your arms, and poisonous dust at that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:57 am

Hopper wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

"Person on YouTube finds what they have to say agreeable, what others have to say disagreeable".

Eesh. Did she use a pitch shift or something? I assume it's the mask that makes the voice sound weird. And boy, do I not like being pointed at.

Is this not the concept behind victim-blaming? Behind the idea that, where a woman does not take sufficient care (in what she wears, how much she drinks, where she is, who she's with) and is sexually assaulted, well, what did she expect? That any man, when given the chance, will take advantage? This idea finds wide, unconsidered acceptance within society, but rephrase it bluntly as 'all men are inherently rapists', and suddenly there's an outrage - 'how ridiculous! Sheer misandry! Man haters!'.

Feminism considers the inequality and exploitation of women as women, usually by men. There is a lot of disagreement between people who sincerely consider themselves feminists as to how such things come to be, and what to do about them, and what a 'feminist' world might look like. And of course, feminism - as any movement of social or political analysis/action - will bear the marks of the culture in which it emerges. This is why we need structural analysis - considering matters of culture and media and economics and politics and race/ethnicity and sexuality etc - or, as the kids have it nowadays, 'intersectionality'. Most feminists I've come across are aware of such.

MRA considers....what? That feminism has gone too far? That men and women have 'proper', 'natural' places/roles, and that when we stray from that, it all goes to hell? I'll grant, I've seen them highlight some child custody decisions that, if accurately reported, were terrible. But as far as the MRAs were concerned, this was because of the evil feminists.

But these are old, old stories. Nothing new. This is the mythographer Marina Warner, from a lecture given in 1994:

Quote:
One of the stories in mass circulation today is a very old one, but it’s taken on new vigour: women in general are out of control, and feminism in particular is to blame. It is odd to think that misogynist jokes used to attack women for wanting to trap men into marriage. Now the attacks run the opposite way. The tabloids bitterly quote young mothers who say: “So who needs men?” Feminism today has become a bogy, a whipping boy, routinely produced to explain all social ills. Women struggle for equality of choice in matters of sex, their grasp of sovereignty over their bodies; are blamed in particular for the rise in family breakdown, the increase in divorce, and the apparently spiralling delinquency and violence of children. In these lectures I will be looking at the mythic accretions clustering stickily to these themes: men are no longer in control, mothers are not what they used to be, and it’s the fault of Germaine Greer, Cosmopolitan and headline stars who choose to be single mothers like Michelle Pfeiffer. By holding up to the light modern mythical nodes of this kind I hope to loosen in some cases their binding grip on our imaginations. Replying to one story with another which unravels the former has become central to contemporary thought and art, text as well as image. The idea of a kind of cultural kontakion, the Greek antiphonal chorus across the nave of response and reply, invocation and challenge opens a new angle of view.

The she-monster is hardly a new phenomenon. The idea of a female untamed nature which must be leashed or else will wreak havoc closely reflects mythological heroes’ struggles against monsters. Greek myth alone offers a host - of Ceres, Harpies, Sirens, Moirae. Associated with fate and death in various ways, they move swiftly, sometimes on wings; birds of prey are their closest kin - the Greeks didn't know about dinosaurs - and they seize as in the word raptor. But seizure also describes the effect of the passions on the body; inner forces, madness, art, folly, personified in Homer and the tragedies as feminine, snatch and grab the interior of the human creature and take possession. Ungoverned energy in the female always raises the issue of motherhood; fear that the natural bond excludes men and eludes their control courses through ancient myth, which applies various remedies. In Aeschylus’s Oresteia, when Orestes has murdered his mother Clytemnestra, the matriarchal Furies want justice against the matricide - but they find themselves confronting a new order, led by the god Apollo. Orestes is declared innocent, and in a famous resolution which still has power to shock audiences today, the god decrees:

The mother of what’s called her offspring’s no parent
but only the nurse to the seed that’s implanted.
The mounter, the male’s the only true parent.
She harbours the bloodshoot, unless some god blasts it.
The womb of the woman’s a convenient transit.

In this brutal act of legislation, the god of harmony declares that henceforward, in civilised society, only the father counts. The mother is nothing more than an incubator.

The spectre of gynocracy, of rule by women, stalks through the founding myths of our culture: both Theseus and Hercules fight with the Amazons - and vanquish their queens. The Amazon’s separatist queendom made them tantalising but also monstrous in the eyes of the Greeks; the terrible massacres of their army depicted on stone reliefs and vases redounded to the fame of the Greek heroes as surely as cutting off Medusa’s head.

In the folklore of the past, classical and medieval, the female beast was sometimes cunning and purposely concealed her true nature: the Sirens lured men with their deceitful songs, and later tempted fierce anchorites in the desert, approaching St Anthony for instance, with honeyed words, hiding their diabolical nether parts under sumptuous dresses. Male beasts, as in Beauty and the Beast, or male devils, as in the temptations of St Anthony, don't possess the same degree of duplicity; you can tell you’re dealing with the devil on the whole, but when evil comes in female guise, you have to beware: the fairy queen may turn to dust in your arms, and poisonous dust at that.

I would beg to disagree that that attitude towards rape is as prevalent as you suggest. What I have heard a lot more of is remarks to the effect that "well, she got offended because some men made some advances, what did she expect". And people making advances certainly doesn't equal rape.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:21 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

I would beg to disagree that that attitude towards rape is as prevalent as you suggest. What I have heard a lot more of is remarks to the effect that "well, she got offended because some men made some advances, what did she expect". And people making advances certainly doesn't equal rape.

I think it is a reflexive attitude, not one come to through thought. But, in my experience and observation, it's more prevalent and socially acceptable than saying 'all men are inherently rapists'. That women have to be careful - that, say, if she gets drunk to the point of passing out around men she can pretty much expect to be sexually assaulted, is taken as a kind of common sense. The assumption being all men are looking for the slightest opportunity to sexually assault a woman. Or, in fewer words, all men are inherently rapists.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:33 am

Hopper wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

I think it is a reflexive attitude, not one come to through thought. But, in my experience and observation, it's more prevalent and socially acceptable than saying 'all men are inherently rapists'. That women have to be careful - that, say, if she gets drunk to the point of passing out around men she can pretty much expect to be sexually assaulted, is taken as a kind of common sense. The assumption being all men are looking for the slightest opportunity to sexually assault a woman. Or, in fewer words, all men are inherently rapists.

Inherently rapists? No. Men may have a stronger sex drive, but not all are inherently rapists. The assumption that all men look for the opportunity to sexually assault a women is also ludicrous.
There is good reason for some women to think this way, but that does not make it true. #1 rule for any good man, help a lady in need, so stuff like that doesn't happen.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

The woman in the 'Radical feminism' video AspieOtaku linked to is having a go at what she calls 'radical feminists'. In the course of doing so, she uses the phrase 'all men are inherently rapists' in a mocking, dismissive way. The idea she's referring to is one found in some feminist discourse, but I don't think it's all that widespread. Certainly it is one readily mocked by society at large, and sometimes used as evidence that 'feminists hate men'.

But it struck me the other day that this is essentially the premise behind victim-blaming, and the 'common sense' idea that women simply have to be careful as to how they dress, where they go, who they're with, how much they drink etc. These warnings can only make sense if one assumes that any man will take advantage of any such situation, that in some - many - instances they simply can't help themselves.

I find it ironic that these two opposing ways of thinking share the same premise, and that those of the latter view all but say 'all men are inherently rapists', but would likely cry outrage and 'man hater!' if you phrased it as such.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 9:09 am

Hopper wrote:
The woman in the 'Radical feminism' video AspieOtaku linked to is having a go at what she calls 'radical feminists'. In the course of doing so, she uses the phrase 'all men are inherently rapists' in a mocking, dismissive way. The idea she's referring to is one found in some feminist discourse, but I don't think it's all that widespread. Certainly it is one readily mocked by society at large, and sometimes used as evidence that 'feminists hate men'.

But it struck me the other day that this is essentially the premise behind victim-blaming, and the 'common sense' idea that women simply have to be careful as to how they dress, where they go, who they're with, how much they drink etc. These warnings can only make sense if one assumes that any man will take advantage of any such situation, that in some - many - instances they simply can't help themselves.

I find it ironic that these two opposing ways of thinking share the same premise, and that those of the latter view all but say 'all men are inherently rapists', but would likely cry outrage and 'man hater!' if you phrased it as such.

I don't blame victims, and would be on the side of the lady every time.
If a woman gets taken advantage of in the way you described, you tell her to be careful regardless.
You wouldn't let someone walk into that situation again would you?

Saying all men are rapists, has nothing to do with women being careful or learning self defense. If I was a woman, I'd be careful too, and ask someone I know to have my back, or have a buddy system. I'm not a woman, but I don't understand why telling women to be careful is seen as victim blaming. That is absurd.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

The lady in the video isn't blaming rape victims, she is ranting how some radical feminists take the credit from the actual victims who were raped in order to garner attention. Not to mention when she puts her disclaimer she is in no way support of rape about rape can be pscycologically damaging and that rape is bad rape is wrong can we all agree? now lets all hold hands and run through a meadow. She has also mentioned that there are places where feminism is truly necessary. There are some views where she does support feminists she is not against the movement in any way just the rediculous loud mouths that go apeshit and cry oppression over something simple like a man opening a door for a lady. I dont get why some make a big deal out of something stupid like that but i guess they assume the man is doing it because he thinks shes weak and helpless or just wanting to get in her pants which isn't true at all its just a gesture of kindness that is all. Then theres rediculous crap radicals come up with like once again its not the feminism movement itself its the radicals you know the tumblrtards. http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/ ... s-rape-ok/ like this article where consential coitus is considered rape.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 03 Apr 2014, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

billiscool wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
i'm getting really really really tired of reading "all feminists are this" and "all women are that" threads on this site.

really really really really tired.

Im getting tired of conservative bashing from leftist and feminist.
I get shamed for not supporting feminist.

In your particular case, I think it more "billiscool and his ridiculously narcissistic view of reality" bashing.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:08 pm

@AspieOtaku
Then why in every other or so thread about feminists do we get the "All men are rapists!", or "Feminists all want all men to die!" bs?

I thought after all these feminist threads, and mra threads, this bs wouldn't come up.

I honestly think if someone like snoopdog actually married a legitimate fem-nazi the world would blow up!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm

Misandry doesnt exist only Mysogyny does *sarcasm*. Radical feminist idealogy you may find on Tumblr. The only difference is they arent sarcastic and do not believe radical feminists exist.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Hopper wrote:

I don't blame victims, and would be on the side of the lady every time.
If a woman gets taken advantage of in the way you described, you tell her to be careful regardless.
You wouldn't let someone walk into that situation again would you?

Saying all men are rapists, has nothing to do with women being careful or learning self defense. If I was a woman, I'd be careful too, and ask someone I know to have my back, or have a buddy system. I'm not a woman, but I don't understand why telling women to be careful is seen as victim blaming. That is absurd.

is it absurd instead to ask men: don't rape? because guess what--if men stop raping, women won't have to be careful of being raped. asking women to be careful is putting the responsibility of not being raped on the women, not on the rapists. is this really a difficult concept to grasp? when a woman is raped, NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES (whether she was walking in a dark alley alone or not, whether she was drinking or not, what she was wearing, etc.) the responsibility is 100% ON THE RAPIST.

not complicated. rape is the fault of rapists, and NO ONE ELSE BUT RAPISTS. full stop.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:59 pm

starvingartist wrote:

is it absurd instead to ask men: don't rape? because guess what--if men stop raping, women won't have to be careful of being raped. asking women to be careful is putting the responsibility of not being raped on the women, not on the rapists. is this really a difficult concept to grasp? when a woman is raped, NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES (whether she was walking in a dark alley alone or not, whether she was drinking or not, what she was wearing, etc.) the responsibility is 100% ON THE RAPIST.

not complicated. rape is the fault of rapists, and NO ONE ELSE BUT RAPISTS. full stop.

Whoa! Calm down! I never said any of that! I would never get hurt about being told not to rape! I might feel guilty and try to protect her or something!

Do you get mad when your Mom told you to be careful, or don't trip on the ice? I'm saying men say that stuff sometimes out of worry for the victim, not because it is their fault! Why would I say it to someone I know would take it the wrong way?

The thing I said was I didn't like "all men are rapists" comments.

Saying "All men are rapists" is completely different than telling a guy to not rape you! Where does that seem the same to you? I would feel terrible if I scared a lady like that!

The first part of your comment seems like it came out of nowhere. Why? Why would it be absurd? I can't come up with one!

Sorry if I upset you....