Thomas Perkins: Taxing the rich = The holocaust

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm

Yep, this pretty much sums up the libertarian mindset.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/2 ... 65676.html


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

26 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

I'll never understand how someone gets so rich while being so stupid. Unless he inherited it all like Trump.



ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 715

26 Jan 2014, 3:04 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
I'll never understand how someone gets so rich while being so stupid. Unless he inherited it all like Trump.


Are you sugesting that some of the 85 top richest people in the world aren't hardworking and talented people who earned the money? Like 4 heirs of Wall Mart? That's proposterous! You damn nazi! You just want to throw the rich into ovens and gas them! No, even worse: you want to TAX THEM!! !! 8O



thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Jan 2014, 3:08 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
I'll never understand how someone gets so rich while being so stupid. Unless he inherited it all like Trump.


Or option 2, he had lots of rich or powerful friends.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,633

26 Jan 2014, 3:12 pm

Comparing one's non-lethal plight to the Holocaust is proof that there is no real argument.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,671
Location: Seattle

26 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5877222.html#5877222

This perfectly sums up the mindset of people who talk out of their ass, even after good faith efforts at education have been made.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5877222.html#5877222

This perfectly sums up the mindset of people who talk out of their ass, even after good faith efforts at education have been made.


It is true though.

The libertarian hysteria about taxes and the co-ercion of state is absolutely nauseating at times.

If libertarians think their stateless or semi-stateless utopia would be so great, i wish they would buy an island somewhere and get on with it. At least then they can shut up and stop bothering the rest of us. God knows, there must be enough money among them to do that.

Also the rest of us can say 'told ya so' when the whole project grinds to a halt and the stated nations end up having to bail it out and feed its starving vulnerable because the wealthy of its society refuse to help and it begins to erode from the bottom up.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,754
Location: Sean Penn, Cambodia

26 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5877222.html#5877222

This perfectly sums up the mindset of people who talk out of their ass, even after good faith efforts at education have been made.


It is true though.

The libertarian hysteria about taxes and the co-ercion of state is absolutely nauseating at times.

If libertarians think their stateless or semi-stateless utopia would be so great, i wish they would buy an island somewhere and get on with it. At least then they can shut up and stop bothering the rest of us. God knows, there must be enough money among them to do that.

Also the rest of us can say 'told ya so' when the whole project grinds to a halt and the stated nations end up having to bail it out and feed its starving vulnerable because the wealthy of its society refuse to help and it begins to erode from the bottom up.
You could always take your own advice if it bothers you that much for others to have their own opinions. I'd be amazed if any human being lasted 5 minutes on an island with someone as obnoxious as you. Even after countless rebuttals to your sweeping generalizations you still manage to convince yourself you know what's "true" for libertarians better than they do.



luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 754
Location: Last booth, Akston's Diner

27 Jan 2014, 12:18 am

thomas81 wrote:
Yep, this pretty much sums up the libertarian mindset.


Is thre some reason to believe that Perkins is a libertarian? I looked online and couldn't find any reference to his political ideas before this story. Or do you just hang the libertarian label on everything you don't like?



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,903

27 Jan 2014, 12:32 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
I'd be amazed if any human being lasted 5 minutes on an island with someone as obnoxious as you. Even after countless rebuttals to your sweeping generalizations you still manage to convince yourself you know what's "true" for libertarians better than they do.


Were I stranded on an island, the last thing I'd be concerned about are perceived unfair generalizations about a largely obscure ideology. Getting food and the f*ck off the Island would probably rank higher on the Maslow Hierarchy.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,903

27 Jan 2014, 12:33 am

Tom Perkins is quite a swell guy, eh?

Nick Denton wrote:
They say there are no gossip-worthy characters in Silicon Valley. Well, here's something you probably never knew about Tom Perkins, the venture capitalist who gave his name to one of Silicon Valley's most iconic partnerships. The investor, backer of companies such as Compaq and boardroom schemer at Hewlett Packard, was once convicted of involuntary manslaughter. In 1996, the yacht-crazed financier was racing off the French coast when he collided with a smaller boat, killing a French doctor on board.In a passage from the Valley veteran's forthcoming memoirs, Perkins writes: "I was arrested and tried in a foreign court in a language you don't understand, by judges indifferent - or worse - to justice, represented by an inappropriate lawyer with the negative outcome preordained." Perkins has done well to get his version out now; his former wife, Danielle Steel, is said by Page Six to be planning a novel based on the episode. The Kleiner Perkins founder, who managed to escape with a $10,000 fine, couldn't have been that traumatized. His latest sailing boat, the $130m Maltese Falcon, is a gigantic clipper capable of capsizing much larger boats than Perkins could manage a decade ago.


My emphasis added

http://gawker.com/269896/tom-perkins-ma ... conviction



luanqibazao wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Yep, this pretty much sums up the libertarian mindset.


Is thre some reason to believe that Perkins is a libertarian? I looked online and couldn't find any reference to his political ideas before this story. Or do you just hang the libertarian label on everything you don't like?


Probably because much of the anti-tax movement is, at least partly, buoyed by framing (particularly the "tax is theft" idea) common among populist libertarians.


_________________
http://www.voterocky.org/


AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,754
Location: Sean Penn, Cambodia

27 Jan 2014, 12:46 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
I'd be amazed if any human being lasted 5 minutes on an island with someone as obnoxious as you. Even after countless rebuttals to your sweeping generalizations you still manage to convince yourself you know what's "true" for libertarians better than they do.


Were I stranded on an island, the last thing I'd be concerned about are perceived unfair generalizations about a largely obscure ideology. Getting food and the f*ck off the Island would probably rank higher on the Maslow Hierarchy.
My blood pressure would kill me faster than starvation so I'd work top-down from the pyramid when it comes to this. Hell, you could even consider controlling blood pressure a physiological need.

Master_Pedant wrote:
Probably because much of the anti-tax movement is, at least partly, buoyed by framing (particularly the "tax is theft" idea) common among populist libertarians.
Is it just as common to compare "class warfare" to the Holocaust?



wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Location: The internet

27 Jan 2014, 1:02 am

There are many people who think this way.
They basically think that libertarians have a hysterical fear of government intervention. They think libertarians are worried about the government coming into their homes and seizing their wealth. They think libertarians see government people, and people with different political beliefs as something of a Nazi or a Communist. They like to poke fun at that perceived hysteria. Many like to point to Glenn Beck as an example of someone who they're talking about. A person who displayed this kind of hysteria.



thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

27 Jan 2014, 1:19 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
You could always take your own advice if it bothers you that much for others to have their own opinions. I'd be amazed if any human being lasted 5 minutes on an island with someone as obnoxious as you. Even after countless rebuttals to your sweeping generalizations you still manage to convince yourself you know what's "true" for libertarians better than they do.


the burden isnt on me to do such a thing because I'm not the one with a pathological hatred of the state. Quite the contrary, I want to defend and augment it.

If libertarians think their system would be so much better, the onus is on them to provide empirical evidence.

Until then, I call BS on their ideas and I call them hypocrites for not having the gumption to follow through with it.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,671
Location: Seattle

27 Jan 2014, 3:17 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Tom Perkins is quite a swell guy, eh?
http://gawker.com/269896/tom-perkins-ma ... conviction


Is anyone arguing that he's a great guy? Then why the red herring?

Master_Pedant wrote:
Probably because much of the anti-tax movement is, at least partly, buoyed by framing (particularly the "tax is theft" idea) common among populist libertarians.


Is this an anti-tax issue? Reading the article, the guy seemed to be trying to draw a comparison between the demonization of the Jewish community it 1930s Germany and the demonization of the wealthy today based on the rhetoric being used, not anything to do with taxes.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,612

27 Jan 2014, 5:12 am

Dox47 wrote:

Is this an anti-tax issue? Reading the article, the guy seemed to be trying to draw a comparison between the demonization of the Jewish community it 1930s Germany and the demonization of the wealthy today based on the rhetoric being used, not anything to do with taxes.


Ok, so where do I find in the USA or europe the rhetoric, that rich people should not be allowed to give woman jobs in their houses and factories, because of them being so evil, that they would misuse their power and force that poor woman to sleep with them, and so dirten their proletarian blood with their diseased rich blood? Which people are right now talking about rich people being denied to use public transportation, own cars, bicycles, ... Where exactly are people talking and using a rhetoric to ensure, that rich people dont become teachers, doctors, actors, or any other public jobs ... so that they cannot get influence over other people and cultures, including all people that own at least 25% rich people blood? Which university exactly are denying rich people and their children to study at their place, because of them being rich or having no "proletarian-pure-poor-blood" acording to the rhetoric, that shall be similar to those use against jewish people? And where exactly are the films, shown in cinemas, which are rhetorically teaching us in pseudo scientific ways, that rich people are similar to rats and cockroaches, and need to be wiped out, to clear the "proletarian blood" from them?

I mean if you say, that the rhetoric used, is comparable to those used against the jews, then there must be similarities.