Atheists what are your views on East Asian religions?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:31 pm

I know their views on the Abrahamic Religions. But what do they think about Caodaism, Chen Tao, Hoahaoism, Chondogyo, Confucianism, Jeungism, Shinto, Taoism, I-Kuan Tao and elements of Mahayana Buddhism.

Last edited by Joker on 31 May 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Joker wrote:
I know their views on the Abrahamic Religions. But what do they think about Confucianism?

Confucianism is more a philosophy than a religion (as the term is commonly understood).

ruveyn

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:34 pm

nice tread joker could i be so bold to broaden this thread to also include taoism.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
I know their views on the Abrahamic Religions. But what do they think about Confucianism?

Confucianism is more a philosophy than a religion (as the term is commonly understood).

ruveyn

But they have views on the afterlife. Also Confucianism has Influence on Islamic thought. From the late 17th century onwards a whole body of literature known as the Han Kitab developed amongst the Hui Muslims of China who infused Islamic thought with Confucianism. Especially the works of Liu Zhu such as Tianfang Dianli(天方典禮) sought to harmonize Islam with not only Confucianism but Daoism and is considered to be one of the crowning achievements of the Chinese Muslim culture

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn
Yeah, and even that doesn't quite explain it. It's a lot easier to understand Confucianism in the historical context in which it arose. Confucius was really a synthesizer of a lot of traditional ideas. His real contribution to Chinese philosophy was the idea of instilling ideas about moral conduct and correct behavior early in life. He would have been appalled if he had been accused of teaching a novel or original idea, for his whole point was to make sure that young people and budding rulers took time to learn the old ones and learn them well. He was extremely conservative, though. The reason his ideas became popular, though, was that aristocratic families noticed that young rulers who received his brand of education ended up being extremely successful. Well, Confucius' response to this was simply, "hey, these ideas have always been there. Everybody knows about them." He just took care to make sure that his students actually learned them.

So it's not really proper to say either that it is a religion or that it is not a religion. It's something uniquely Chinese, really.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:03 pm

Good for an interesting read, like anything else. When it comes to any religion though I say it is pointless

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:19 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Good for an interesting read, like anything else. When it comes to any religion though I say it is pointless

Finally a atheists that thinks that about all religions and not just one.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:32 pm

I'm not atheist, but I can see why even the so-called "godless" beliefs like Buddhism and Taoism wouldn't appeal to an atheist, because they do rely on faith, and in practice they sometimes become filled with deistic thinking, such as the idea of the Bodhisattva who are revered almost as gods in Tibetan Buddhism, for instance. I agree with William that Confucianism isn't really a religion. I don't know about some of the others you've listed.

But I guess my question is why does it matter so much what atheists think about religion and why? To me it's in a sense like asking me why I don't eat grubs or other insects, when so many people in the world consider them delicacies. I don't, and that's all the answer I need and all the answer I'm willing to provide. I expect about as much information from anyone about their belief or non-belief. Because frankly I don't think it's my business. I don't want to convert them, and to me that seems to be the only basis for worrying overmuch as to what others believe or don't believe. As long as no one is trying to get me to change what I believe, I'm content.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:37 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
I'm not atheist, but I can see why even the so-called "godless" beliefs like Buddhism and Taoism wouldn't appeal to an atheist, because they do rely on faith, and in practice they sometimes become filled with deistic thinking, such as the idea of the Bodhisattva who are revered almost as gods in Tibetan Buddhism, for instance. I agree with William that Confucianism isn't really a religion. I don't know about some of the others you've listed.

But I guess my question is why does it matter so much what atheists think about religion and why? To me it's in a sense like asking me why I don't eat grubs or other insects, when so many people in the world consider them delicacies. I don't, and that's all the answer I need and all the answer I'm willing to provide. I expect about as much information from anyone about their belief or non-belief. Because frankly I don't think it's my business. I don't want to convert them, and to me that seems to be the only basis for worrying overmuch as to what others believe or don't believe. As long as no one is trying to get me to change what I believe, I'm content.

Good point the reason I started this thread is to see if they would express their dislike for eastern religoins the way they do for other world religions.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:45 pm

Joker wrote:
SpiritBlooms wrote:

Good point the reason I started this thread is to see if they would express their dislike for eastern religoins the way they do for other world religions.

Ah, okay. :)

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2012, 6:49 pm

What's with you and your obsession with atheists?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:01 pm

Rainy wrote:

Well what's their obsession with theists? Answer that qeustion and Ill answer your question.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2012, 7:12 pm

Joker wrote:
Rainy wrote:

Well what's their obsession with theists? Answer that qeustion and Ill answer your question.

Theism is a constant factor in politics and day-to-day life that is impossible to avoid. Atheists are easy to avoid. Question answered.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rainy wrote:

Theism is a constant factor in politics and day-to-day life that is impossible to avoid. Atheists are easy to avoid. Question answered.

That is a cop out atheists are in the media just like theists are :wink:

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:27 pm

Technically, Christianity is an Eastern religion.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:28 pm

shrox wrote:
Technically, Christianity is an Eastern religion.

Yup it is.