Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:29 am

Is that a quote or your response to it?

Can you provide a link to the source material?

Just asking.

Thanx!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

That's a quote - the text is the clicky (BBC News)

My response to it is that it is extremely impractical. We have the technology, so we should use it and it should be funded like any other health care expense.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

What makes Mr. Huckabee's statement ironic is the fact that the Republican Party actually opposes women having autonomy over their bodies. A woman's uterus is government property, the purpose of which is to squirt out new citizens.

Conservative views on contraception and abortion might have some merit, if they had some solid proposals for guaranteeing everyone a happy childhood. But, no. Once the child is born, they lose all interest. The mother and child can go and die in a gutter, and to Hell with them. Or, to Heaven, if the mother happened to have the correct views concerning Jesus. But, more than likely, they would have been predestined for eternal damnation, or the deity would have chosen to bless their lives with something better than death in a gutter.

The people who have the strongest opinions against abortion and contraception also have the strongest opinions against welfare and government nutrition programs.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 4:44 pm

Conservatives: advocating government so small, it fits in a uterus.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

Looks like Mike Huckabee pulled off a RomneyCare.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/2 ... 59975.html

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm

"Uncle Sugar"

No.....No, Mike, it's "Sugar Daddy." Seriously, just....just please don't try to say that phrase again.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 5:57 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Conservative views on contraception and abortion might have some merit, if they had some solid proposals for guaranteeing everyone a happy childhood.
What about all the aborted children since 1973, which some reports list as more than 56 million? They certainly won't have happy childhoods on Earth.

Quote:
But, no. Once the child is born, they lose all interest. The mother and child can go and die in a gutter, and to Hell with them. Or, to Heaven, if the mother happened to have the correct views concerning Jesus. But, more than likely, they would have been predestined for eternal damnation, or the deity would have chosen to bless their lives with something better than death in a gutter.
Some extremists may believe that, but I don't, and neither do most conservatives I've ever heard of. We simply want life to be an equal option, instead of letting scared or selfish mothers murder their own kids out of convenience.

Quote:
The people who have the strongest opinions against abortion and contraception also have the strongest opinions against welfare and government nutrition programs.
I'd say it depends on who you ask, but in general, conservatives believe most citizens are perfectly capable of making their own choices, without the Feds taking control all the time.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

Yes, because nothing guarantees a happy childhood like being born to a woman who doesn't want to be a mother (and possibly a father who doesn't either).

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2014, 6:10 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Conservative views on contraception and abortion might have some merit, if they had some solid proposals for guaranteeing everyone a happy childhood.
What about all the aborted children since 1973, which some reports list as more than 56 million? They certainly won't have happy childhoods on Earth.

What about all the mothers who had an abortion, then conceived a pregnancy that their carried to term within 9 months? Without abortion, those children wouldn't have had happy childhoods.

What about the trillions of other potential children who weren't conceived?
Quote:
Quote:
But, no. Once the child is born, they lose all interest. The mother and child can go and die in a gutter, and to Hell with them. Or, to Heaven, if the mother happened to have the correct views concerning Jesus. But, more than likely, they would have been predestined for eternal damnation, or the deity would have chosen to bless their lives with something better than death in a gutter.
Some extremists may believe that, but I don't, and neither do most conservatives I've ever heard of. We simply want life to be an equal option, instead of letting scared or selfish mothers murder their own kids out of convenience.

Murder, by definition, is unlawful. Abortion is lawful under most circumstances. Therefore, most abortions are not murder.

That is before we get onto less fundamental issues such as whether non-persons could ever be murdered.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
"Uncle Sugar"

No.....No, Mike, it's "Sugar Daddy." Seriously, just....just please don't try to say that phrase again.

Actually I Googled the phrase "Uncle Sugar" and here's what UrbanDictionary said:
Quote:
Uncle Sugar
Another word for Uncle Sam. The concept that Uncle Sam is everyon's pimp because he takes his share of your money before you get your share.

I know I should be offended but I couldn't help but laugh.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
We simply want life to be an equal option, instead of letting scared or selfish mothers murder their own kids out of convenience.

I have to take issue with your claim that it is selfish to prevent/abort a baby. You are assuming that life is a gift. I believe this is a narrow view. We are stuck here for a bit and have to make the best of it, but why bring others into it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm

Ann2011 wrote:

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my life. So ignorant and stupid. The Republicans do not get it's a health issue. If it were up to me, birth control would be handed out for free to anyone who wanted it and I would encourage people to get sterilized if they say they don't want to have kids.
I just don't get why so many politicians have an issue with people choosing not to have so many kids. They want everyone to be miserable and poor, stressed out trying to figure out how to feed all their kids not to mention all the health risks that goes along with women being pregnant all the time. Any time people come to their senses about this issue politicians respond with panic attacks.

Then again his state, Arkansas. is one of the less populated ones it has about a million less people than this one so maybe he does want his people to do a bit more breeding?

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:16 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
We simply want life to be an equal option, instead of letting scared or selfish mothers murder their own kids out of convenience.

I have to take issue with your claim that it is selfish to prevent/abort a baby. You are assuming that life is a gift. I believe this is a narrow view. We are stuck here for a bit and have to make the best of it, but why bring others into it.
I have nothing against preventing the formation of a baby in the womb, but destroying one after conception is murder, regardless of what the courts say. You don;t have to be religious to know that an unborn child is a human being, worthy of protecting...just honest.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:27 am

For a second there I thought it said Huckabe on birth control! :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 6:10 am

so...many...trolls.

If you're against all abortion, you believe that the parasites rights trump those of the host. You also believe that it would be a good idea for the offspring of Drug addicts, prostitutes, carriers of HIV and other diseases, victims of incest and rape, and babies which are not viable to be carried to term. That's an interesting position.

Perhaps if you truly grieve for the unborn, your time might be better spent helping to prevent some of the dire social conditions that necessitate it, than trying to ban abortion.

Last edited by Stannis on 26 Jan 2014, 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.