03 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

Absolutely fantastic orator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GsEKrCvgw#t=1646[/youtube]

My deviant art profile

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

I feel mostly ambivalent towards Scottish independence, but the No campaign has resorted to a lot of scaremongering to such a comical level. I think the Yes campaign can be naive, but at least they are talking about Scotland's potential instead of just the typical "f**k Cameron" stuff (though I do agree with the sentiment, I won't lie).

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2014, 11:34 am

29:12 "We're not going to scapegoat anyone who comes and wants to work and live in our wee small country." Check out whether that's right before you promise it.

At present, since the White Paper came out, the whole Yes campaign including his party is ignoring a question that affects who all these chances he tells us about are going to apply to.

Yes campaign literature, in its list of policy answers to reassure everyone, has only called citizenship automatic for folks born here or living here on independence day. Now who is surprised Cameron is inviting folks in the rest of Britain to appeal to their families to vote No? The Yes folks call economic emigration a problem we should want to stop. But that literature is saying zilch about the Scots who were born in the rest of Britain as a result of that economic emigration, and who can't move back here before independence day. They might be kids who will only become adult after the day, or young adults who deliberate Tory policy has made dependent on their family home.

Unless the Yes campaign commits watertightly and in its public literature that none of these will have a shred less automatic right to move back here than they have now under the Union, it will be necessary to vote No in order not to commit a racist self-wound to the nation you think you are caring about, worse than the external border issues you are hoping to prevent - and which unionist Salmond's pledge to stay in a common travel area with England means you won't prevent anyway.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

to be fair though, TS made it clear that he doesnt share the same vision of an independent Scotland that the SNP does. While its true that Alex Salmond may be gunning for stringent immigration it doesnt mean that TS agrees with that vision. These are all issues that can be debated on with greater meaning after the secession of the independent parliament.

My deviant art profile

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

I would much prefer Scotland to not become independent. Because if they do then England and Wales and NI will be left with a stronger Tory party. So I would hope Scotland stays within the UK.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Because if they do then England and Wales and NI will be left with a stronger Tory party.

I'd be surprised if the 'yes' vote is more than 30%.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

Tequila wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Because if they do then England and Wales and NI will be left with a stronger Tory party.

I'd be surprised if the 'yes' vote is more than 30%.

Actually, the latest opinion polls place the yes camp as high as 47% and with eight months of campaigning left that places it within grasp of victory.
Quote:
I would much prefer Scotland to not become independent. Because if they do then England and Wales and NI will be left with a stronger Tory party. So I would hope Scotland stays within the UK.

On the contrary, the conservative and labour victories happen irrespective of the scottish vote. Conversely however like TS argues it could be said that Scotland is lumbered with a conservative government despite the fact that almost nobody in Scotland is voting Conservative.

The conservative party doesnt have a big foothold in Northern Ireland. The centre right vote is split between the DUP and UUP. However Scottish indepedence will weaken their mandate because it will force Northern Ireland to seriously reconsider its sovereignty and relationship with Great Britain. It could even be the thing that forces a United Ireland. That is why the DUP and Ulster Unionists are scared to death of Scottish secession.

My deviant art profile