Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 7:00 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
I love it it goes great with food calms me down when under great deals of stress and diffuses my meldowns! I dont like are angry drunks Im a happy drunk I dont get why some people who get drunk get violent and angry, isnt getting drunk supposed to make you calm and feel good? :roll:

I'm generally a happy drunk. A very loud, talkative, happy drunk.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:08 pm

It would be hard to imagine life without it once I got started.
I very rarely get drunk, though.
However, I have gotten wasted drunk on a number of occasions. So hungover the next morning that I swore off drinking for life only to start all over again by late afternoon of the same day.
:) :D :cheers: :drunken: :eew:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm

Raptor wrote:
It would be hard to imagine life without it once I got started.
I very rarely get drunk, though.
However, I have gotten wasted drunk on a number of occasions. So hungover the next morning that I swore off drinking for life only to start all over again by late afternoon of the same day.
:) :D :cheers: :drunken: :eew:

I've sworn that vow I don't know how many times, but sure enough, alcohol lures me back! :lol:

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I can't imagine anyone encouraging others to shoot up some smack or snort more coke (unless you're a banker maybe)

Get to know the staff at pretty much any fine dining establishment, go out to the bars with them after work (they all go, almost every night) and they'll practically shove the coke up your nose for you.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

I hate it. I hate its taste and its effect. I have no problem with others drinking as much as they want, as long as they bother no one.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
I enjoy alcohol. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I'm not a huge fan of Jägermeister, but I've been craving it like crazy as of late. I've been suffering through an ugly head cold, and that whole licorice/brandy-esque blend would have been nice for temporary relief.

I quit drinking when my wife was pregnant with our youngest child. Later on I quit drinking coffee and eventually did a 40-day fast. My wife had been prone to drinking more than either of us thought appropriate. We do drink occasionally now, but it's extremely rare. Usually it's some kind of special occasion, like a birthday, anniversary, or some such. My wife was robbed at gunpoint recently, and I saw fit to split a bottle of her favorite white zin that night. SOMETIMES we'll get some hard cider, but we almost never drink anymore. Compared to how we USED to be, we look like teetotalers!

And to be honest, we don't really miss it that much.

Is your wife all right? That must have been truly a terrifying experience.
As for coffee - while I admit to occasionally abusing alcohol, I am most assuredly a caffeine addict - a caffiend if you will. :lol:

Oh, she's fine. That was just a few months ago at this point. And honestly, that situation wasn't nearly as stressful as any average day where she worked previously.

You know how I feel about starting your own business, making your own breaks, and hopefully making it big in whatever you do. Well, when dealing with employee/employer relationships, there's a fine line between a corporation and "acting corporate." A corporation can be anything, but the archetypal "corporate" environment is a human hamster wheel. In her case, it was a hamster wheel combined with intense racial hatred and verbal/mental abuse from people in operations. Compare with an armed robbery: Just give the guy the money and get him out of the building. The cops got the guy within an hour. Simple. What's striking is that the ordeal comparatively stress-free, although she prefers the topic NOT come up in casual conversation.

Anyway…the point being it's only truly extreme circumstances we're ever driven to drinking.

Money is too tight for it anyway, too… We don't go to bars because we just can't afford them. But with no more interest in drinking that we have, that's the most economical way to do it. Sure, a beer for the same serving size is going to be more expensive, but it isn't like taking home an entire 6-pack that you're not going to finish off for 6 months or a year. That's why when we DO drink, it's usually a bottle of wine between the two of us. Wine at least ages. We've got some Biltmore Estate champagne that's aged nearly three years since we brought it home.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:32 am

Taking a lot of sedatives is an indication that something is wrong.

Besides, I like to have a clear head, because if my enemies come, I want to be ready :coffee: :batman:.

Last edited by Stannis on 20 Feb 2014, 3:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:49 am

Stannis wrote:
I don't like it. It makes me sleepy.

Alcohol is a sedative. If you feel you need to take a lot of sedatives, there is probably something wrong.

Well, most of mankind, for our length of time on earth, has had a problem, considering the consumption of alcohol since prehistoric times.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:18 am

I miss the answer: Neither love it or despise it, but simply consume it carefully from now and then, at special occasions, in moderate amounts?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:47 am

I don't much care for it, I never want to get drunk, and the stuff taste awful except for that harbor mist wine(after opened and left to sit in fridge for while) and whiskey mixed with root beer(taste like old fashioned root beer. plus I choose another activity which doesn't allow me to drink, so yeah. I do some times consider getting drunk when I'm super sad, but I think that would only make it worst.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:57 am

sly279 wrote:
I don't much care for it, I never want to get drunk, and the stuff taste awful except for that harbor mist wine(after opened and left to sit in fridge for while) and whiskey mixed with root beer(taste like old fashioned root beer. plus I choose another activity which doesn't allow me to drink, so yeah. I do some times consider getting drunk when I'm super sad, but I think that would only make it worst.

By all means avoid drinking when depressed - I know from personal experience it only makes it worse.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:34 am

mds_02 wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
I can't imagine anyone encouraging others to shoot up some smack or snort more coke (unless you're a banker maybe)

Get to know the staff at pretty much any fine dining establishment, go out to the bars with them after work (they all go, almost every night) and they'll practically shove the coke up your nose for you.

LOL. I have been in such circles where drugs are encouraged but it doesn't happen to the level it does with alcohol.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 3:56 pm

Niether love nor despise it.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

It makes me sleepy, and I like to taste wine or sip some more potent drinks.

But drinking with the wrong people can make them verbally abusive, and those are memories I'd like to forget.

But now I'll just have to wait before I drink again. If your drunk dad says, have a swig of this, don't be there to witness it in the first place, or the apocalypse will come.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

I haven't had a drink in about a week. I normally drink beer. It wasn't a voluntary stoppage, though. I'm on DSHS and my doctor believes drinking raises my blood pressure. DSHS now requires me to receive treatment otherwise no benefits. So I've been in treatment for a week. No drinking. Of course I miss it. I am saving money, though, so I shouldn't complain.

My complaint is with the treatment program. It's AA/12 step/religious based. That aspect of it is keeping me at arm's length. I can't get into the literature because everything is God this/Higher Power that. There's an alternative treatment program called "A Positive Alternative" that I'll look into next week. Hopefully that'll be more conducive to my receiving help.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

I love it, but it's poison.

Haven't had a drink in nearly two months.