Would humanity be better off if more people were ascetics?

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm

hyena wrote:
I did not like the taste other but animal rights have to come before taste. I am eating a big bowl right now and don't really want to finish it but I will.
According to the experts we don't need meat, but it has to be done right though. Would you like to try again, this time following the recommendations of nutritionists? I lift weights on a vegan diet, no reason it can't support your lifestyle.

I'm an omnivore and I need meat.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

Whole cultures have done without meat for millennia! I take DHA EPA and ALA. We all take supplements in one way or another. We do not need to intentionally kill animals to live. We need not kill animals who feed on our grains. We can make it hard for them to reach, but anything they eat is an acceptable loss. This will simply lead to slightly higher prices. We can live with that. It isn't what actually happens, but it is what should happen.

Veganism saves 200 animals a year of extreme torment in factory farms. These are lives which can be saved. Even if it is impossible to prevent all harm we should prevent as much as possible. Whereas I may unintentionally step on an insect, I do not intentionally pay for torture and murder. It is different to run someone over intentionally and different to lose control of your car and run someone over. The environmental impact of veganism is greater than not using a car. More animals will die in farming if you consume animal products! Every unit of nutrition from animal products requires ten units of nutrition form plants. So veganism implies I am causing as little harm as possible. It is not currently possible to cause no harm but we should try to minimize harm. To me, sparing 200 animals a year is huge impact. How can you say it does not make a difference? Do you realize what it means to spare 200 animals a year of torture and death. Imagine someone torturing 200 dogs a year and then killing them. Suppose they are willing to stop if you gave up certain foods while still having a healthy diet. You see that pointless? To me animals are precious and giving up animals products to spare 200 animals per year of hell is a no-brainier. I love them.
A vegan is making a very big impact. If others adopted it, it would mean that tens of billions of animals would not need to be tutored and die in concentration camps every year. The horrors these animals face are worse than what people faced in Nazi concentration camps. They suffer just like humans. Ending this disgrace would be a the biggest moral victory in human history.

krankes_hirn wrote:
That is highly debatable. According to some experts you can do without meat, and according to others you can't. It heavily depends on what you mean by do. It has been shown that a vegan diet has a direct impact on brain function if vitamin and fatty acids are not monitored closely and sometimes you might need suplements which is an inefficient way to get your vitamins. And sorry for this, but though I agree with the fact that we must not inflict any unnecessary amount of pain on other living creatures, the fact is that we need to kill animals to live. A lot of the things that have been learned to support the factibility of a vegan diet have come from experiments performed on animals. We need to kill animals to produce grain and other vegetables. And unlike animals used for food or for research, there is no law requiring this animals to be killed in a humane way. Hares spend days agonizing in traps that farmers set to keep them away from their crops. The same goes for moles and other small rodents and marsupials. Birds are shot and killed as well. Millions of insects die due to pesticides or by having predators being unnaturaly introduced in their habitats to control their population (Which is an Organic accepted form of pest control) So yeah, eating meats is death, eating vegetables is death, existing is death.

If you want to have a vegan diet, I respect that. But please stop trying to make it all about saving the world because being a vegan doesn't even put a dent on all the impact you make in the world.

As to asceticism, I think it is great to be able to know what makes you happy and not being driven by greed or a desire to hoard. If we strived to make ourselves happy and make the world a better place to live, things would be different. Everybody needs something but nobody needs everything. Wealth makes sense when it is put to something fruitful or meaningful and not the accumulation of wealth as such. It is easy to see why would someone spend 30,000 dollars to travel somewhere far and see other things. But spending that on a piece of Jewelry seems pointless and absurd. If everybody focused on being happy and giving something back to the world they live in rather than being wealthy or famous, the world would certainly be someplace very different.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2014, 11:39 pm

No you don't, many of us have proved that! The proof is right before your eyes.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I'm an omnivore and I need meat.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:49 pm

hyena wrote:
No you don't, many of us have proved that! The proof is right before your eyes.

Some people can live as vegans. I know I cannot I have tried it and am totally unhealthy and miserable. My stomach gnaws at me the entire time even with rice and beans. I gotta have some meat.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2014, 11:52 pm

I did not like it at the start either but considering the alternative it is a sacrifice well worth the discomfort. Try it the recommended way, maybe even gradually. Considering how much is at stake it requires maximal effort.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Some people can live as vegans. I know I cannot I have tried it and am totally unhealthy and miserable. My stomach gnaws at me the entire time even with rice and beans. I gotta have some meat.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:59 pm

hyena wrote:
I did not like it at the start either but considering the alternative it is a sacrifice well worth the discomfort. Try it the recommended way, maybe even gradually. Considering how much is at stake it requires maximal effort.

I have tried it and I DON'T LIKE IT!

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

Morality comes before comfort and pleasure. It should be done even if one does not like it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:07 am

hyena wrote:
Morality comes before comfort and pleasure. It should be done even if one does not like it.

And first I must be moral to myself. My body is a temple and I must nourish it properly. It needs protein only meat can provide. The other just doesn't do it for me.

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 12:10 am

hyena wrote:
Whole cultures have done without meat for millennia!

Can you tell me which ones? 'cause I looked it up and found nothing.

hyena wrote:
I take DHA EPA and ALA. We all take supplements in one way or another. We do not need to intentionally kill animals to live. We need not kill animals who feed on our grains. We can make it hard for them to reach, but anything they eat is an acceptable loss. This will simply lead to slightly higher prices. We can live with that. It isn't what actually happens, but it is what should happen.

So is there an actual cost study behind your claim or are you just pulling this out of your sleeve because implementing measures to keep animals away from crops sounds expensive as hell, we are talking about acres and acres. A simple fence is sometimes not even feasible and it is not effective against lots of plagues.

Acceptable loss? You mean whole acres of cultivation razed by locusts? Even using pesticides they sometimes get to eat so much that make prices rise a lot. Of course you don't get to see that because you've never been to a farm.

hyena wrote:
Veganism saves 200 animals a year of extreme torment in factory farms. These are lives which can be saved. Even if it is impossible to prevent all harm we should prevent as much as possible. Whereas I may unintentionally step on an insect, I do not intentionally pay for torture and murder. It is different to run someone over intentionally and different to lose control of your car and run someone over. The environmental impact of veganism is greater than not using a car. More animals will die in farming if you consume animal products! Every unit of nutrition from animal products requires ten units of nutrition form plants. So veganism implies I am causing as little harm as possible. It is not currently possible to cause no harm but we should try to minimize harm. To me, sparing 200 animals a year is huge impact. How can you say it does not make a difference? Do you realize what it means to spare 200 animals a year of torture and death. Imagine someone torturing 200 dogs a year and then killing them. Suppose they are willing to stop if you gave up certain foods while still having a healthy diet. You see that pointless? To me animals are precious and giving up animals products to spare 200 animals per year of hell is a no-brainier. I love them.
A vegan is making a very big impact. If others adopted it, it would mean that tens of billions of animals would not need to be tutored and die in concentration camps every year. The horrors these animals face are worse than what people faced in Nazi concentration camps. They suffer just like humans. Ending this disgrace would be a the biggest moral victory in human history.

As always, it is never about doing something, but about feeling better about yourself. As of this moment, animals are being tortured and killed in order to protect the crops you'll eat. Animals are killed or lose their homes to build roads to bring those crops all the way from the farm to your house. Do you use wooden stuff? Guess what? Each item means that some animals lost their habitat for your confort. You take suplements? I hope you have been looking at the labels of those suplements that you take, because some of them are made killing animals. And the ones that aren't are made by processing lots of grain and plants that will mostly go to waste. Have you ever done anything about vermin? They are animals too, and they have rights. And they suffer way more than farm animals. You use a computer? _Have you seen the mines where some of the metals used in microprocessors are extracted? Nasty, nasty stuff. Whole ecosystems disappear due to acid rain that results of the processing of these metals, But that doesn't seem enought to keep you from the confort of using a computer, does it? All those animals killed in labs so that you can have a decent medical care.

So why is it? Why are only farm animals deserving of your compassion? Is it just because others happen to mess with some conforts you are not willing to part from? Is it because other animals don't end up in a plate in front of you? You would save more animals just by not living in a house and living off of nature, but that would be very uncomfortable for you wouldn't it? But it is ok becasue hey! I save 200 animals. Two hundred out of thousands that I really don't care about because people around me won't even notice I saved them and therefore I can't be really bothered about them.

Look at nature for 5 minutes. Animals aren't apologetic about eating each other. Because it is their nature. That's why bunnies have strong legs. That's why cows have horns. To fend off predators. Because somehow, it is ok for nature that animals eat each other. And somehow, animals seem to accept this reality as well. Millions of years of evolution and yet you think you know better than nature. You know, If a cow had to kill you and eat you, it would do it. Without minding about your suffering. It would kill you in a painful way, eat your carcass and the go about its business as if nothing had ever happened. Not because the cow is cruel or evil, but because it has evolved to be a part of this process. If we weren't supposed to eat animals, we would be extinct by now.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 12:11 am

You could get complete protein from plants. Unless you are different form humans it can work for you. Even if it didn't do it would take a long time for the effects to show. How long did you try it for in order to determine it does not do?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And first I must be moral to myself. My body is a temple and I must nourish it properly. It needs protein only meat can provide. The other just doesn't do it for me.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:32 am

hyena wrote:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

What the hell kinda crappy satanist are you? 8O

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:37 am

Hindus have gone without meat for centuries but I don't have Hindu genes. My genes scream MUST HAVE MEAT!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

Besides, who calls themselves hyena then brags about not eating meat :roll:

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 1:17 am

Sikhs, Hindus, and many Buddhists do not eat meat.

We have gone for centuries without pesticides, and from what I hear they are very harmful. How many birds and rodents can you shoot? Many will still get in. What about farmers who do not have a gun?

I take only vegan supplements. Competing for resources in order to survive is morally very different from enslaving an animal and torturing her when it is unnecessary. I oppose animal testing. How do vermin suffer more than factory farm animals? That seems impossible.

How many other animals have I killed? How much acid rain could my processor contribute to? How much paper and traveling does my processor save? Living a life free of technology and basic needs would make life impossible. But it would also make it extremely uncomfortable in the extreme. We cannot live decent lives without harming animals indirectly but we can live decent lives without enslaving animals and torturing them. To contribute as little as possible to harming animals indirectly I would have to give up knowledge, warmth, traveling, cooked food etc. In order to end death camps all you have to give up is certain tastes.

It is impossible for me to live a lifestyle free of harm to animals. I will save as many as I can. Especially ones that live in death camps. If you wish to bring specific examples you will have to give me numbers and sources for those numbers.

Modern life is possible without death camps. It isn't possible without resources. Yes we must compete for resources, we need not enslave animals in order to live decent lives.

Besides vegans are doing much more than the rest of you. If you can come up with ways I can harm less animals while still living a decent life I am all ears.

We can be better than nature. Nature has no morality. Killing other humans is also natural. Do you think we should be killing each other for mates and for resources? Do you think you know better than nature? There are many more examples where we part with nature in order to be more moral.

And one more thing, factory farms are not natural:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFXlNkdRMc[/youtube]

I am willing to part with some flavours in order to end death camps! I am unwilling to part with shelter, knowledge, clothing, and technology to save more indirect harm to animals. I am doing much more than you though. I am sparing much more suffering. As you well know taste is much easier to give up than shelter, clothing and technology. Do you think better taste is worth torturing 200 animals annually? If I am asked: do I think some indirect deaths are worth our technology? I would answer yes. Technology at the cost of incidental humans and animals deaths is a must. Although we should be more responsible. Ideally we can work to reduce our population and use less resources. It it impossible to live without resources. Taste is not worth death camps. That is the difference.

Let me pose this question to you. We would be killing (indirectly) fewer humans if we gave up our technology and lived the primitive lifestyle you have in mind. Suppose you loved the taste of human flesh. Would you eat human flesh? Why not, if you do not live a primitive lifestyle? You too would be much more willing to part with taste than with technology. This shows that the principle I use is a general one that applies to humans as much as animals. We are unwilling to use another being for our own ends but we can indirectly harm other beings to get certain important things. Ask yourself the question I posed! Why would you be willing to not eat humans but would be willing to use technology which leads to human deaths. Why would you condemn a culture that enslaves, tortures, and kills and eats humans, while you yourself contribute to human deaths by using technology and other comforts? How do you answer?

krankes_hirn wrote:

Can you tell me which ones? 'cause I looked it up and found nothing.

So is there an actual cost study behind your claim or are you just pulling this out of your sleeve because implementing measures to keep animals away from crops sounds expensive as hell, we are talking about acres and acres. A simple fence is sometimes not even feasible and it is not effective against lots of plagues.

Acceptable loss? You mean whole acres of cultivation razed by locusts? Even using pesticides they sometimes get to eat so much that make prices rise a lot. Of course you don't get to see that because you've never been to a farm.

As always, it is never about doing something, but about feeling better about yourself. As of this moment, animals are being tortured and killed in order to protect the crops you'll eat. Animals are killed or lose their homes to build roads to bring those crops all the way from the farm to your house. Do you use wooden stuff? Guess what? Each item means that some animals lost their habitat for your confort. You take suplements? I hope you have been looking at the labels of those suplements that you take, because some of them are made killing animals. And the ones that aren't are made by processing lots of grain and plants that will mostly go to waste. Have you ever done anything about vermin? They are animals too, and they have rights. And they suffer way more than farm animals. You use a computer? _Have you seen the mines where some of the metals used in microprocessors are extracted? Nasty, nasty stuff. Whole ecosystems disappear due to acid rain that results of the processing of these metals, But that doesn't seem enought to keep you from the confort of using a computer, does it? All those animals killed in labs so that you can have a decent medical care.

So why is it? Why are only farm animals deserving of your compassion? Is it just because others happen to mess with some conforts you are not willing to part from? Is it because other animals don't end up in a plate in front of you? You would save more animals just by not living in a house and living off of nature, but that would be very uncomfortable for you wouldn't it? But it is ok becasue hey! I save 200 animals. Two hundred out of thousands that I really don't care about because people around me won't even notice I saved them and therefore I can't be really bothered about them.

Look at nature for 5 minutes. Animals aren't apologetic about eating each other. Because it is their nature. That's why bunnies have strong legs. That's why cows have horns. To fend off predators. Because somehow, it is ok for nature that animals eat each other. And somehow, animals seem to accept this reality as well. Millions of years of evolution and yet you think you know better than nature. You know, If a cow had to kill you and eat you, it would do it. Without minding about your suffering. It would kill you in a painful way, eat your carcass and the go about its business as if nothing had ever happened. Not because the cow is cruel or evil, but because it has evolved to be a part of this process. If we weren't supposed to eat animals, we would be extinct by now.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:31 am

For one thing, I hardly ever eat cattle. Just when they are made into delicious hot dogs and I don't have them too often. Mostly what I eat are turkey and chicken with fish from time to time. Maybe bacon once a week or every two weeks on a club sandwich.
I agree, free the cattle for chrissakes it wouldn't bother me. I am not dependent on hamburgers and can get by on poultry. Besides, cattle feedlots are nasty and disgusting, especially that one right outside Amarillo. It leaves a stink-filled haze across the interstate. It's right by the high way. At night it's filled with cattle and has these halogen lights everywhere.

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 3:28 am

hyena wrote:
Sikhs, Hindus, and many Buddhists do not eat meat.

We have gone for centuries without pesticides, and from what I hear they are very harmful. How many birds and rodents can you shoot? Many will still get in. What about farmers who do not have a gun?

I take only vegan supplements. Competing for resources in order to survive is morally very different from enslaving an animal and torturing her when it is unnecessary. I oppose animal testing. How do vermin suffer more than factory farm animals? That seems impossible.

How many other animals have I killed? How much acid rain could my processor contribute to? How much paper and traveling does my processor save? Living a life free of technology and basic needs would make life impossible. But it would also make it extremely uncomfortable in the extreme. We cannot live decent lives without harming animals indirectly but we can live decent lives without enslaving animals and torturing them. To contribute as little as possible to harming animals indirectly I would have to give up knowledge, warmth, traveling, cooked food etc. In order to end death camps all you have to give up is certain tastes.

It is impossible for me to live a lifestyle free of harm to animals. I will save as many as I can. Especially ones that live in death camps. If you wish to bring specific examples you will have to give me numbers and sources for those numbers.

Modern life is possible without death camps. It isn't possible without resources. Yes we must compete for resources, we need not enslave animals in order to live decent lives.

Besides vegans are doing much more than the rest of you. If you can come up with ways I can harm less animals while still living a decent life I am all ears.

We can be better than nature. Nature has no morality. Killing other humans is also natural. Do you think we should be killing each other for mates and for resources? Do you think you know better than nature? There are many more examples where we part with nature in order to be more moral.

And one more thing, factory farms are not natural:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFXlNkdRMc[/youtube]

I am willing to part with some flavours in order to end death camps! I am unwilling to part with shelter, knowledge, clothing, and technology to save more indirect harm to animals. I am doing much more than you though. I am sparing much more suffering. As you well know taste is much easier to give up than shelter, clothing and technology. Do you think better taste is worth torturing 200 animals annually? If I am asked: do I think some indirect deaths are worth our technology? I would answer yes. Technology at the cost of incidental humans and animals deaths is a must. Although we should be more responsible. Ideally we can work to reduce our population and use less resources. It it impossible to live without resources. Taste is not worth death camps. That is the difference.

Let me pose this question to you. We would be killing (indirectly) fewer humans if we gave up our technology and lived the primitive lifestyle you have in mind. Suppose you loved the taste of human flesh. Would you eat human flesh? Why not, if you do not live a primitive lifestyle? You too would be much more willing to part with taste than with technology. This shows that the principle I use is a general one that applies to humans as much as animals. We are unwilling to use another being for our own ends but we can indirectly harm other beings to get certain important things. Ask yourself the question I posed! Why would you be willing to not eat humans but would be willing to use technology which leads to human deaths. Why would you condemn a culture that enslaves, tortures, and kills and eats humans, while you yourself contribute to human deaths by using technology and other comforts? How do you answer?

As a matter of fact Budhist eat meat. (source: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/meat.html) Hindi aren't vegans (milk is a very important part of their diet) and they eat meat every once in while. And regarding Sikhism, there's an interesting quote from the Guru Granth Sahib

"Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.
They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom."

And besides that, those are not entire cultures, they are religious groups within other cultures.

And regarding your argument of taste: So it is not ok to kill something for its tastiness but it is so you can go and check on your facebook page, because let's face it, that the only purpose some pieces of technology serve. And you are not doing that much more to spare animal lives. You think 200 animals is a huge amount because you don't get to see the thousands that die because of you. And so by killing less than 1 percent of what you'd kill by eating meat you can sleep at night. Geez, that's the sweetest deal one can get for a clean conscience. So If I stopped eating chicken, fish, and other smaller animals I can get a clean conscience too. Because eating only beef makes me kill considerably a lower amount of animals since it takes one cow to feed a human for days. While I have to kill half a dozen shrimp for a cocktail. Look! By not eating shrimp I'm saving lots of animals! Can I get to brag to others how am I saving animals? Can I? Can I?

And regarding your human driven questions:

If I liked human flesh would I eat it?

Here's an interesting fact though, humans survived predators by engagin into cannibalism. Whenever a proedator killed or mortally injured a human, other humans would eat it so that there was nothing left for the predator. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism)

Would I eat human flesh, in a situation like the plane crash in Los Andes, I would. If it is about survival

Woudl I kill farmed humans? No

The thing is, if you let a human live. You are unleashing a lot of potential. That human has the power to make a lot of people happy, to discover new things, to get where others have never got before. If you let a cow leave, it would crap on the field and eat grass until it died a pointless and meaningless dead or get killed by another predator.

Now here's the funny thing

Would I enslave, kill (or allowed to be killed) another human for technology?

I pretty much do that already, and guess what? You too

Ever heard of FoxConn, a company where microchips used in lots of devices are built? Did you know they recently built nets around one of their buildings to keep their employees from killing themselves? That's how miserable they are there. And it is not about wages, it is about the horrible conditions they have to endure that no amount of money could ever compensate. But hey! thanks to them you get to have your technology. And lots of other conforts you enjoy come from places like that, child labor or even worse stuff. Let's not talk about the horrible conditions some farmers endure so you can eat your vegetables. So tell me, are you sure you are better than everybody else just by sparing a few chickens?