Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,133
Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

I'd love to visit there, all that stuff you guys said notwithstanding.


_________________
LIONS-STAMPEDERS-ESKIMOS-ROUGHRIDERS-BLUE BOMBERS-TIGER-CATS-ARGONAUTS-REDBLACKS-ALOUETTES

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

25 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

My experience with Japanese tourists has been wonderful! It would be an awesome place to visit if people are like the tourists who visit here.



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,212
Location: San Jose

25 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

I would love to live there particularly Sapporo in the Hokaido region.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,938

25 Feb 2014, 11:19 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Emiruko wrote:
The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?


I saw a documentary about that recently. Apparently it is related to the hierarchical structure there and the incredible stress that people are under regarding work. They have to dedicate themselves totally to their jobs and work ridiculous hours as competition is fierce. Getting married, especially for the women, is effectively the end of their career as Japanese society expects them to stay at home and raise children. So women have to choose between a career and marriage.

And men have to assume the entire responsibility for the finances of the family, and never get to spend a lot of time with them because of the hours required. It's really unfair to both genders.



TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

25 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

equestriatola wrote:
I'd love to visit there, all that stuff you guys said notwithstanding.


Yeah, there's nothing wrong with visiting. But uprooting yourself and physically moving to Japan just because you like the animes is like a Japanese guy moving to America because he liked spaghetti westerns.



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,212
Location: San Jose

26 Feb 2014, 3:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaexAfE8_w[/youtube]


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


91
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,063
Location: Australia

26 Feb 2014, 3:37 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I would love to live there particularly Sapporo in the Hokaido region.


I love that area of Japan (planning to return next January). Kyoto is still the best city in Japan if you love history and Tokyo is a great international city.

-------------------------

There is a lot of talk about Japanese culture and its impact on society but its mostly very superficial. Japanese people are modern and although they have different family structures they are not really as open to direct comparison with are own as people would think. Their society has strong work expectations, South Korea actually has a much stronger sense of this (and the higher suicide rate to show for it). Both societies sometimes suffer from having too limited of a view, with regards to success but they both have strong social bonds. I see a lot to like in both.


_________________
Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

Emiruko wrote:

None of what you said is true, except the fact that Japan has a low birthrate; and it makes you sound super ignorant. Japan is not as freaky and weird as everyone likes to think it is. Pop culture does not really show what a place is really like. In pretty much every country the people are overwhelmingly normal. The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?


You can take your accusations and mud slinging and stick it up your fundiment; for it is true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23182523

http://trueslant.com/jeffkoyen/2010/07/ ... -disaster/


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

Emiruko wrote:
My point was that it wasn't because Japanese men are weird shut ins.

It is an exacerbating cause though.

http://blogs.reuters.com/japan/2009/12/ ... -and-game/

http://www.japanator.com/bbc-writer-cal ... 1570.phtml


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


slave
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 107
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,418
Location: Dystopia Planetia

26 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

You should all be aware that Japan, under the direction of Abe, have instituted an economic policy commonly called Abenomics. This policy involves printing Yen aka quantitative easing in extreme quantities. This 2 year policy is reaching its end. Many economist and others of their ilk believe that this amount of Q.E. will damage the Japanese economy to the point of collapse and will likely cause hyperinflation.

I recommend that you study this issue if you plan to move to or visit Japan.


_________________
Since the birth of civilization, small sets of dominant individuals have controlled the numerical majority. Even a cursory reading of world history will substantiate this claim. Kings, Pharaohs, Emperors, Sultans, Czars, and Dictators have imposed their will upon their subjects. This pattern has not changed over the millennia and it remains so, today. Our Masters rule over every nation and no one can defy them. They will attain Absolute Power as we reach the Singularity. All those who oppose their will, will be destroyed. Given the obvious futility, I will not resist. 2+2=5.


Emiruko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 29
Location: Dallas, Texas

27 Feb 2014, 2:29 am

thomas81 wrote:
Emiruko wrote:

None of what you said is true, except the fact that Japan has a low birthrate; and it makes you sound super ignorant. Japan is not as freaky and weird as everyone likes to think it is. Pop culture does not really show what a place is really like. In pretty much every country the people are overwhelmingly normal. The low birthrate is mostly do to lack of support/resources for the mother and the cost of raising children. :?


You can take your accusations and mud slinging and stick it up your fundiment; for it is true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23182523

http://trueslant.com/jeffkoyen/2010/07/ ... -disaster/


There are plenty of articles stating people with Aspergers/Autism are murderers, but that doesn't mean it's true. (Those articles are super messed up and wrong.) Also, I didn't accuse you of anything except being uninformed, and telling you that you are wrong is not mudslinging. I am sorry if it came across as personally insulting, which wasn't my intention. I'm not even really mad at you, but the journalists and bloggers making up or exaggerating things to get page views. It's frustrating to constantly see people thinking that the place a good chunk of my family is from is some kind of anime fantasy land or is super strange and perverted because some Japanese people did something weird; even though every country ever has weirdos but aren't stereotyped for it in the same way.

Here are some articles on birth rates:
http://japandailypress.com/survey-64-sa ... n-0443569/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2 ... _else.html

http://www.kkc.or.jp/english/activities ... ents69.pdf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7096092.stm



Last edited by Emiruko on 27 Feb 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,333

27 Feb 2014, 2:49 am

Every country has a chapter of the International Society of Jerks and Richardheads (ISJR):

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... xperiences


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,212
Location: San Jose

27 Feb 2014, 4:33 am

I wouldnt mind living in japan, I get along with the Japanese very well like no big deal. Its expensive as hell though and I am just as happy living in Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay area, its the closest thing to living in Japan without living in Japan and we do have some of the same stuff Japan has and a fairly large Japanese community very friendly laid back people they are. :D


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Last edited by AspieOtaku on 27 Feb 2014, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

27 Feb 2014, 4:53 am

There's always those places to sleep in Japan that are like these drawers you crawl into. I wonder if they are cheaper to stay in?



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

27 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Great Youtube Channel for Going to Japan

Would you move to another country because of politics?


Possibly, but not to Japan.