I was raised Catholic, but I kind of hate it... (sexism)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 8:00 am

Everyone in my family is Catholic or Protestant except my uncle who is an Agnostic Buddhist. My parents raised me Catholic and put me in all Catholic school and they encourage me to stay in it, but I can't ignore things that bother me.

Not to offend anyone, but Catholics are sexist, racist, and homophobic. I support gay marriage and am pro-choice and I believe that everyone should be treated with respect. I also think that the Catholic obsession with purity and excessive procreation are outdated.

In general, I might be shopping for a new religion. However, I really don't know where to look because some of the stuff disgusts me about Catholicism, but other things are sort of stuck in my mind.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

What do you like about Catholicism?

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:58 am

good point. :lol:

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:08 am

I assume you believe in God - is that right?

What is it you want from religion? I mean, guidance, support, hope, community etc?

I've heard good things about the Quakers. I always figured if I was going to be religious, it'd be Catholicism for the drama and rich symbolism, or Quakerism, for the quiet contemplation.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
In general, I might be shopping for a new religion.

Was raised RC myself but was never allowed to question anything. So I turned my back on it. As the years went by I came to the conclusion religion is more about organisation than believing. But that is me.
Plenty out there to choose from. I just don't see belief as something you put in your shopping trolley. Seems like religion could well be.
I like Brahman and other Hindu concepts. They offer a (mental) retreat so to speak.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

I don't know, maybe it would be a good idea not to replace one dogma for another...

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:06 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Everyone in my family is Catholic or Protestant except my uncle who is an Agnostic Buddhist. My parents raised me Catholic and put me in all Catholic school and they encourage me to stay in it, but I can't ignore things that bother me.

Not to offend anyone, but Catholics are sexist, racist, and homophobic. I support gay marriage and am pro-choice and I believe that everyone should be treated with respect. I also think that the Catholic obsession with purity and excessive procreation are outdated.

In general, I might be shopping for a new religion. However, I really don't know where to look because some of the stuff disgusts me about Catholicism, but other things are sort of stuck in my mind.

You could try the Anglican Church (or its American branch, the Episcopal Church, if you live in the States). Or one of the other mainline Protestant denominations, like Methodist or Presbyterian. Congregational-UCC might work, too, if you're pro gay marriage and want a church that has endorsed it.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits