Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 3:20 pm

It seems in the west that given any issue, people will either gravitate to the far right or far left, never looking in the middle. You have conservatives you badmouth liberals because theyr politically correct, not acknowledging their own religious fanatacism. Same can be said in reverse, Liberals love to badmouth conservatives because of their religious fanatacism, but do not logically ad up how boneheaded and 1 sided their pc ideologies are.
Another example, science vs. religion, religious people do not use a bit of logic or rationality, however, religion does offer a platform for morality to those who are too weak to develope morality on their own (which is sadly most people). However, hardline atheists often use science, evolution, or genetics as an excuse to consciously act like primates.
What's sad is when I offer a better idea, or call things down the middle, I'm called "totalitarian" because what it basically boils down to is the most f****d up, immature, and ret*d argument in the blue world, which is that "life is boring without problems, how can I enjoy life without seeing others suffer for me?"....... I dunno this world is really f*****g messed up though.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 5:37 pm

There are both well-reasoned people on both the modern political left and right. There are also jerks on both sides. I don't think the fact that somebody is 1. religious, or 2. an atheist should by default make their arguments faulty.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 5:51 pm

The extreme polarization bothers me too, particularly since I seem to be one of the last living oldschool democrats on the face of the earth. :P

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 6:01 pm

Well, I think that most people seek the middle. It is just that those with the strongest opinions will vote more often and join political parties more often. Ideologues are like that no matter what side they support.

Really, in religion and non-religiousness, it must be recognized that people have a right to make their own decisions.

Obviously you are attacked because your opponent did not believe that you did offer a better idea. It must be recognized as well, that some "middle-road" compromises are somewhat authoritarian as well.

Really, I don't see a problem within western thought.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 6:17 pm

From a political point of view i think the main problem is that there is no polarization.
In the UK, i grew up under a decade of conservative right-wing government. Since then we have had about 15 years of a supposedly left-wing Labour government.
But what's the difference?
Still the same poverty, unemployment and war-mongering.
The people you vote for are not the ones running the show. The masses are fooled into thinking they are living in a democracy.

Political correctness reminds me of Orwell's 'thought-crime' & 'double speak'.
A tool for controlling the masses.

As for the religion / science split.
They are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to 'have faith' and still have a grasp of logic and science. But there is much misunderstanding on both sides.

In the old days (16th century), some of the greatest thinkers of the time in mathematics and logic were also theologians.
Bishop Berkeley for example; obviously devout and a great mathematician.
I don't think this science and religion split has always existed.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2007, 6:27 pm

I think labour has gotten more right-wing with time anyway. I don't really think that large differences that great anyway, however, the reason for such a small gap is because in politics when the number of parties is limited, political parties tend to try to gather the most votes by going towards the center of opinion. Really though, Britain's economy is doing better than it was during that time when it was the sick man of Europe, and unemployment there is typically lower than your continental economies.

Political correctness is done with that idea as well. It is an attempt to change the culture. The people promoting it think it is good in order to reduce racism, sexism, and other things, people opposing it don't like such a cultural influence.

There has often been some tension between the two as religion has suppressed science in the past. There is still some clash given evolution and things of that nature, but really it is secularism vs theism more than science vs religion.

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2007, 11:50 pm

in the religious texts that say God created men from "clay/earth" it is taken literally by most religious people,saying evolution its a myth,but God also said in his texts that he talks to men through PARABLES,thus the meaning of the verse is that God created men from the earth ,like a plant, evolution. check the human body,it has the elements of the planet earth,
Oxygen (65%)
Carbon (18%)
Hydrogen (10%)
Nitrogen (3%)
Calcium (1.5%)
Phosphorus (1.0%)
Potassium (0.35%)
Sulfur (0.25%)
Sodium (0.15%)
Magnesium (0.05%)
Copper, Zinc, Selenium, Molybdenum, Fluorine, Chlorine, Iodine, Manganese, Cobalt, Iron (0.70%)
Lithium, Strontium, Aluminum, Silicon, Lead, Vanadium, Arsenic, Bromine (trace amounts)

i dont know till when religious people will not realize this...

they forgot GOD who created them gave them a brain,but they dont like to use it most of the time,most of the the people too,not just religious ones,but the religion preached by most recent leaders are totally harmful for evolution of the mind.

peace

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 4:42 am

This is more to do with fundamentalists then 'religious people.'
I would say most religious people are able to accept the concept of evolution.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2007, 7:50 am

I'd like a communist government that is run like a capitilist business

figure that one out <it's more complicated than that, but it was the cheapest amount of lingual bandwidth I could get away with>

charlesbronstein
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2007, 1:32 pm

I think the problem is the whole "left vs. right","liberal vs. conservative", "Science vs. Religion" binary. People are more concerned about being part of an ideological clique than thinking for themselves.

...I'd say f**k the entire ideological scale.

Hoorahville
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2007, 4:03 pm

Hazelwudi wrote:
The extreme polarization bothers me too, particularly since I seem to be one of the last living oldschool democrats on the face of the earth. :P

So you're a Republican? lol.

Quote:
Well, I think that most people seek the middle. It is just that those with the strongest opinions will vote more often and join political parties more often. Ideologues are like that no matter what side they support.

At least on the internet, I've found it's the people willing to argue about anything regardless of how silly it is that are the most apathetic people ever.

Tha_Cat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2007, 10:30 pm

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the thing about Americans in particular gravitating to the far right and far left. I think it's because in the long run, loudmouths like Bill O'Reilly and Michael Moore are, well, more interesting personalities than moderates, and the United States has been dumbed down by a news agency that cares more about Paris Hilton than a civil war in Nepal.

When I say that I'm pro gay rights, but that I don't think that homosexuality is "a 100% acceptable alternative to the accepted family model", both liberals and conservatives look at me askance.

When some Jew-haters in Utah held a rally called "Death To Israel", all the liberals I talked to about it were unable to criticize it without saying "Well a rally called Death to Palestine would have been just as bad" - which is true, except there was no Death to Palestine rally so the comment is irrelevant.

On the other hand, most of my conservative friends are all "The Quaran preaches nothing but hate and murder!" and when I point out that the Quaran isn't much worse than other old religious texts, they google their eyes at me.

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2007, 2:38 pm

the quran show us who has to be killed,or better yet, fought, because if you read the translation of it saying believers should kill the infidel,its not that simple,if u read further youll see that if they dont start the fight it is impossible to start a war making that just self defense.

the TALMUD!(written by rabbis saying it was God inspired,kinda like they came together with an evil plan and put it on paper) thats evil! here some verses from it,then youll realize why most jews are murderers and tricksters with the money.

"It is permitted to take the body and the life of a Gentile."
Sepher ikkarim III c 25

"A heretic Gentile you may kill outright with your own hands."
Talmud, Abodah Zara, 4b

"The Jews are called human beings, but the non-Jews are not humans. They are beasts."
Talmud: Baba mezia, 114b

Sanhedrin 58b. If a heathen (gentile) hits a Jew, the gentile must be killed.

Sanhedrin 57a . When a Jew murders a gentile ("Cuthean"), there will be no death penalty. What a Jew steals from a gentile he may keep.

Sanhedrin 43a. Jesus deserved execution: "On the eve of the Passover, Yeshu (Jesus) was hanged...Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defense could be made? Was he not a Mesith (enticer)?".....(the quran says they got someone else not jesus himself,jesus did not die on the cross)

PLEASE, go the this site if u wish to know more,its full of atrocities regarding the talmud,youll begin to realize why these people are so evil.
http://www.missionislam.com/nwo/talmud.htm

this goes out not in the news because the jews put a lot of money in this country to get things done and kill the muslims and even americans because they dont care about no one except their fellow jews.

peace

Tha_Cat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2007, 5:19 pm

Well, I'd call you on that, but since criticizing Muslims is a bannable offense 'round here, I'll just give you the ol' eye roll.

:roll:

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 8:30 pm

There are no real extremists in American politics; the media only wants you to think so because it generates ratings. How many politicians do you know that want to overthrow our government?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 8:43 pm

Lots of them.