What do you think about current Russia's foreign policy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:15 pm

I have the impression, perhaps mistaken, as if Russia started to organize unannounced "sightseeing tours" in the neighboring countries. And you, what do you think

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 5:44 pm

If your talking about the Ukraine, I think its the West trying to start another of their world wars that they then blame on the other side.
Russia was given assurances by the West that we wouldn't have any country's on their borders, we've already broken that promise with Poland and now it seems we are trying to bring the Ukraine to the West.
Just remember the Bay of Pigs and how America was ready to start world war 3 when Russia almost did the same via Cuba.

I agree with what the Financial Times reports Vladimir Yakunin as saying, Just like all these wars gradually lead to World Government led by the people who started them, he says:-

" Vladimir Yakunin: '“We are witnessing a huge geopolitical game'

An ally of Vladimir Putin has accused the US and a “global financial oligarchy” of organising the violent overthrow of power in Ukraine to “destroy” Russia as a geopolitical opponent.
Vladimir Yakunin, a former senior diplomat who now heads Russian Railways, the state railways monopoly, claimed the US had for decades been intent on separating Ukraine from Russia and bringing it into the west’s fold.

“We are witnessing a huge geopolitical game in which the aim is the destruction of Russia as a geopolitical opponent of the US or of this global financial oligarchy,” Mr Yakunin said in an interview on Thursday.
“A CIA analysis . . . described three possible scenarios for the development of the geopolitical situation. The most acceptable scenario was considered to be one in which a certain world government is created – and the realisation of this project is in line with the concept of global domination that is being carried out by the US.
“We saw this in Iraq, we saw it in Afghanistan, we saw it in Yugoslavia and in North Africa. Today, the borders of carrying out this doctrine have moved to Ukraine.”

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

Putin has been fighting to keep his empire for 15 years. Chechnya, Dagestan, Georgia and now Crimea. It's nothing new and each time he turns more neighbors into enemies. At some point Russia will need another policy.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:17 pm

Nambo wrote:
If your talking about the Ukraine, I think its the West trying to start another of their world wars that they then blame on the other side.
Russia was given assurances by the West that we wouldn't have any country's on their borders, we've already broken that promise with Poland and now it seems we are trying to bring the Ukraine to the West.
Just remember the Bay of Pigs and how America was ready to start world war 3 when Russia almost did the same via Cuba.

I agree with what the Financial Times reports Vladimir Yakunin as saying, Just like all these wars gradually lead to World Government led by the people who started them, he says:-

" Vladimir Yakunin: '“We are witnessing a huge geopolitical game'

An ally of Vladimir Putin has accused the US and a “global financial oligarchy” of organising the violent overthrow of power in Ukraine to “destroy” Russia as a geopolitical opponent.
Vladimir Yakunin, a former senior diplomat who now heads Russian Railways, the state railways monopoly, claimed the US had for decades been intent on separating Ukraine from Russia and bringing it into the west’s fold.

“We are witnessing a huge geopolitical game in which the aim is the destruction of Russia as a geopolitical opponent of the US or of this global financial oligarchy,” Mr Yakunin said in an interview on Thursday.
“A CIA analysis . . . described three possible scenarios for the development of the geopolitical situation. The most acceptable scenario was considered to be one in which a certain world government is created – and the realisation of this project is in line with the concept of global domination that is being carried out by the US.
“We saw this in Iraq, we saw it in Afghanistan, we saw it in Yugoslavia and in North Africa. Today, the borders of carrying out this doctrine have moved to Ukraine.”

So you sided with Putin :D
Russia has for centuries tried to influence the policies of their neighbors voluntarily or by force, it's time to end this.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:23 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:

Russia has for centuries tried to influence the policies of their neighbors voluntarily or by force, it's time to end this.

Whilst I do in fact agree with you, I don't see why its OK for the West to do the same thing.
All these recent wars have evidence of the West stirring trouble up so that they can rescue the situation with their Western "democracy".

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:44 pm

Nambo wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

Whilst I do in fact agree with you, I don't see why its OK for the West to do the same thing.
All these recent wars have evidence of the West stirring trouble up so that they can rescue the situation with their Western "democracy".

It's true Americans also tend to invading countries without any reason, such as, for example, war in Iraq, but at least they got rid of Saddam Hussin, one madman less in the world.

As for democracy

Winston Churchill would have agreed with you.

I remember my teacher telling the story that Churchill said that "Democracy is the worst system, but has not invented anything better" :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

What's interesting to me is that back in 1994 there was a treaty for nuclear disarmament in as many former eastern bloc and soviet republic countries as applicable and Ukraine went along with it and disarmed. As far as I understand it we left ourselves on the hook for that not to be a punishment to volunteers.

I think there's also more going on than just sight-seeing groups as well. At least a few of the 'end times' talking heads (fallen angels/Nephilim/Illuminati conspiracy people - especially a particular guy with initials SQ) really make me wonder if that isn't part of a propaganda machine running on Russian money just because of how much they deliberately on one hand try to tell tons of rugged individualists and fundamentalist Christians that our country is captured by Illuminati witches and that Russia is now what the US used to be and that Putin is the man we need to be pulling for (he hasn't just insinuated that but explicitly stated that several times). I don't know if they're going to try and throw major psy-ops on their political oponents' populace if things get worse over there but from the sound of things I don't think they'd pull many stops.

In the Ukraine they send troops in and for whatever reason our politicians speak about this unknown force of soldiers, claiming that no one knows where these combatants are coming from, I don't know what on earth that was about - insult our intelligence until we stop demanding it not be insulted perhaps?

While I like a lot of Russian products whether in the realm of music, art, literature, philosophy, booze, etc. I can tell there's a really tight game going on here and a lot of it seems to be a bit of a war over two things - natural gas distribution and general dominance of the region.

I think if we want to play our cards right our best bet would be to supply Eastern Europe more. I don't mind the Russians selling their natural resources but if there is a military plan to say maneuver to take back the satellite states and reconstitute the boundaries of the old USSR by force as such - it's worrisome and it's better that we play whatever Sun Tzu cards we have in our hand to keep US and Russia awkward acquaintances rather than letting this thing go and eventually turn into an all-out war of some type.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:37 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Nambo wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

It's true Americans also tend to invading countries without any reason, such as, for example, war in Iraq, but at least they got rid of Saddam Hussin, one madman less in the world.

As for democracy

Winston Churchill would have agreed with you.

I remember my teacher telling the story that Churchill said that "Democracy is the worst system, but has not invented anything better" :D

saddam was put into power by the united states
same with bin laden in fact the united states still funds al qaeda in Syria

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2014, 6:37 am

We need to give Ukraine back the Bomb, right now. It's the only country that unilaterally disarmed and it has now got this result from one of its treaty guarantors.

We are not hearing anything committal in the media about holding the line against aggression, and no "conventional" action is possible as Russia has the Bomb, so the CND PC the BBC is trying to conform to has to go out the window double quick. Rush the type of battlefield Bombs that used to be in the old West Germany, to the Crimean and Ukrainian-Russian borders.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 6:49 am

tern wrote:
We need to give Ukraine back the Bomb, right now. It's the only country that unilaterally disarmed and it has now got this result from one of its treaty guarantors.

We are not hearing anything committal in the media about holding the line against aggression, and no "conventional" action is possible as Russia has the Bomb, so the CND PC the BBC is trying to conform to has to go out the window double quick. Rush the type of battlefield Bombs that used to be in the old West Germany, to the Crimean and Ukrainian-Russian borders.

No one is going to ship bombs to a country that is unstable and falling apart. Most likely the same will happen as with the Russian-occupied areas of Georgia in 2008: some weak-kneed protests from the EU and US, and after a few months everything will be business as usual. Maybe some sanctions, but that will cost the EU money too.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 6:51 am

Russia is in the Realpolitik business.

Russia shouldn't be surprised if other countries decide to be in the Realpolitik business.

Last time I checked, Russia has one major Achilles' heel... the economy.

It may be time for Putin to learn his place. Russia is a military superpower. It is, however, no longer an economic superpower.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 8:10 am

GGPViper wrote:
Russia is in the Realpolitik business.

Russia shouldn't be surprised if other countries decide to be in the Realpolitik business.

Last time I checked, Russia has one major Achilles' heel... the economy.

It may be time for Putin to learn his place. Russia is a military superpower. It is, however, no longer an economic superpower.

If the EU imposes sanctions everyone has to agree on them, so it will probably be something very much watered down and symbolic. The EU can't even agree on the name of f*****g Macedonia.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 9:50 am

FYP:

GGPViper wrote:

Last time I checked, Russia has one major Achilles' heel... the price of petroleum.

The only thing that's holding the Russian Economy up is the high price of oil, in conjunction with the fact that Russia has a lot of oil. What happens in 20 or so years when V. Putin has squandered Russia's oil wealth on military toys instead of building a consistent infrastucture, and actually investing on a time when Russia's oil wealth will be played out?

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 10:19 am

I don't know. I don't trust the Russian media anymore than I trust the American media. I might be interested in what amnesty international has to say about it.

It's difficult to see American denouncements of Russian aggression as anything other than self-serving and myopic. I'm speaking generally here, as there are many smaller american news outlets that conform to a higher standard of journalistic integrity.

http://www.democracynow.org/

Last edited by Stannis on 15 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Fogman wrote:
FYP:
GGPViper wrote:

Last time I checked, Russia has one major Achilles' heel... the price of petroleum.

The only thing that's holding the Russian Economy up is the high price of oil, in conjunction with the fact that Russia has a lot of oil. What happens in 20 or so years when V. Putin has squandered Russia's oil wealth on military toys instead of building a consistent infrastucture, and actually investing on a time when Russia's oil wealth will be played out?

they will just move to one of the many other untouched resources of Siberia
Siberia is mostly untouched by humans you name it, its there

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

Currently, Russia's policy is one of militaristic expansion in order to rebuild the old Russian/Soviet empire, from which their self-perception of national and international respect and fear are derived. That had not been the case under Putin's predecessor, Yeltsin, who had lost faith in an all dominant Russia that would try to thread a needle with a sledge hammer.