no 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 27

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

Nambo wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I used to be interested in all manner of weird stuff in my young teens but then in further pursuit of he truth I spent a number of years studying the sciences at university

Is this really what happens at University, a pursuit of truth?, or is it a case of going to university to hear another mans "truth" whom you deem must be trustworthy, because he teaches in a University?

Precisely!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

Nambo wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I used to be interested in all manner of weird stuff in my young teens but then in further pursuit of he truth I spent a number of years studying the sciences at university

Is this really what happens at University, a pursuit of truth?, or is it a case of going to university to hear another mans "truth" whom you deem must be trustworthy, because he teaches in a University?

No; the teacher is irrelevant, what I learned at university was critical thinking and to study evidence and reach conclusions. I studied a broad base of sciences and the knowledge I gained fitted together beautifully like the pieces of a jigsaw. It gave me a deep and rich knowledge of how the universe works.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:45 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Nambo wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

No; the teacher is irrelevant, what I learned at university was critical thinking and to study evidence and reach conclusions. I studied a broad base of sciences and the knowledge I gained fitted together beautifully like the pieces of a jigsaw. It gave me a deep and rich knowledge of how the universe works.

Funny, I use the jigsaw analogy to explain the truth of what you term "weird stuff",
Does the university provide the jigsaw puzzles then?, or are you allowed to go out into the world to chose your own Jigsaws?, in which case, whats the point of going to University?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

I'm probably more of a circumspect-seeker than a truth seeker. I say that because this is such a data-rich world its probably beyond human capacity to process enough to get a full bearing of what we are and where we're at. It's because of that I prefer the sampling approach and taking in as many different avenues as I can in hopes that exploring all theories helps me hash things out with greater accuracy. In that sense I consider clarity a close cousin to truth, ie. like the Corvette is the poor-man's sports car clarity is truth for those with only 3 lbs in their skull and 70 or 80 years to live.

A person can try to study lets say the wealth of western political history, get a topical overview, and then spend years and years deriving the detail of just one decade. The wealth of institutional religious history could have you reading tens of thousands of pages for years. The wealth and depth of what scientists have dedicated their lives to ironing out regarding the nature of the universe and it's topical operations is another thing your could spend your life pursuing exclusively and still at best to have a considerably deep knowledge still be highly specified in that field of knowledge. You can find out about planes of creation, gods and goddesses. as well as sylphs, salamanders, gnomes, and undines from the mystery schools and spend your life having increasingly in-depth relationships with them regardless of whether they're ultimately objective or subjective entities. Studying the tarot and other symbolic arcanum is a procedure that keeps gaining depth and you could proceed at deepening your proficiency in the organizational richness of occult symbolism for as long as you have mental functioning. Pick a genre of music (I generally choose UK drum and bass) and you could drill into the content of what's out there for the rest of your life. Find all the shows you could possibly want to see and see every episode - you could spend the rest of your life trying to keep up with what's been output on the airwaves.

Ultimately I have to admit - within clarity I'm trying to figure out what I can make use of in my life and what will take me to the next logical step of where I need to be. That could be hot on the path of an intellectual pursuit or even years of method-acting a subjective pursuit to bite the coin deeper than most are willing to in order to see if it's really gold or not in true certainty. I won't make like Alec Baldwin in Glenn Gary Glenn Ross and say you need brass balls to go that way in life, it just takes profound undying curiosity and that's one thing I've certainly found myself to be in possession of.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

Nambo wrote:
Funny, I use the jigsaw analogy to explain the truth of what you term "weird stuff",
Does the university provide the jigsaw puzzles then?, or are you allowed to go out into the world to chose your own Jigsaws?, in which case, whats the point of going to University?

You can get the pieces whenever you want. University gives you the box.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 8:26 pm

I used to be heavily interested in 5 of the things you listed. I was obsessed and I believed in them. Now I don't.

In high school I believed that whenever someone (including myself) has a malicious thought it is actually the devil or an evil spirit communicating with them telepathically and unconsciously. Nobody's aware of the influence these things have on them but they do have their influence. I don't believe that anymore but when I did it was kind of like a combination of the paranormal and mind control. My greatest fear was being mentally influenced against my will. Around the same time I was also obsessed with subliminal messages.

I also had a heavy interest in the end of the world for about 6 months while I was in high school. This was a little bit before 2012 became a big thing. Specifically it was the Christian judgement day that I kept thinking about. It occupied my mind frequently while I was awake and even when I was asleep.

I am a novelty seeker and a sensation seeker. I need to experience things that are radically different from anything I've ever known. That used to make paranormal experiences my own holy grail. I craved to communicate with spirits for the novelty but my craving was so intense that it made me extremely frustrated when I couldn't satisfy it and eventually I tried to kill myself out of despair.

I've changed a lot. I no longer believe in any of that paranormal stuff as I once did and it's a good thing. If I don't believe in the supernatural I can't crave experiences with it and I can't get so frustrated that I overdose. I'm also older and I simply grew out of the mind control stuff. I don't believe in any of the things you've listed anymore.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 11:14 pm

This turned out quite different from what I thought it might.

Very interesting.

I have been thinking quite a bit about what it is that makes some people religious and/or spiritual and some not. Why does it seem like the underdog, the oppressed, the disabled, the suffering, the struggling etc are more religious and/or spiritual for example. I thought that Asperger was a form of oppressive underdog life that led to a different perspective, deeper thinking, more creative thinking, outside the box thinking, and thus that Asperger people might be more spiritual than the norm. I think I have Asperger but I'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TynFaEQj_Ys

I am actually grateful for being unsuccessful and an underdog.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:39 am

tomato wrote:

Very interesting.

I have been thinking quite a bit about what it is that makes some people religious and/or spiritual and some not. Why does it seem like the underdog, the oppressed, the disabled, the suffering, the struggling etc are more religious and/or spiritual for example. I thought that Asperger was a form of oppressive underdog life that led to a different perspective, deeper thinking, more creative thinking, outside the box thinking, and thus that Asperger people might be more spiritual than the norm. I think I have Asperger but I'm not sure.

The way Asperger's is diagnosed in the past in the DSMIV..it Is very general in scope..and is not specific..like the Gillberg Criteria that much better reflects the actual case studies of Hans Asperger...

In those case studies..there was unusual out of the box thinking..deep thinking..and great strides made later in life..for those who did not see limitations for themselves and expectations of others not to succeed in life...

However..a self-fulfilling prophecy can occur...when folks restrict themselves to a label..set forth to attempt to describe a vast difference in emotional and analytical abilities among all the folks diagnosed on the spectrum...

It is part of why..cognitive behavioral therapy works so well..we as human beings create ourselves..physically..mentally and spiritually .. moreover by our attitude as influenced how we think about ourselves and the world around us...

i am an extremely open thinker..and a very analytical person...

And my analytical skills are what led me..in part..to relatively early financial independence..

However...the extreme focus in analytical skills..also literally killed my emotionality and great spirituality that i had early in life..when i worked with people instead of facts and figures..

There is also now..scientific evidence..that when folks..any folks..including folks on the spectrum ...spend a life focused on mechanical cognition..only..The empathic..emotional..spiritual pathways..of the brain can wither away..in other common words..use or lose it..INscience in regard to this..

And yes ..i also lost my faith..but one of the most horrible thingS..is.. i lost my connective strong feeling to what i describe as GOD..through the overwhelming course of my life...

GOD is a real power and force to me..that i can measure in empirical results in the improvement in my life in strength..vitality..and even regeneration..of youth...yes..empirically measured and documented using myself as a case study..for my proof in the REAL EXISTENCE..of a much higher power..in life..than most people ever even imagine in life...

In this sense..what is potentially left of the words of the man Jesus..makes great sense to me now..as i know that what he was talking about in the healing and strength factors of human spirituality..are REAL..as i have the strength and vitality of a 25 year old extremely fit human in all balanced ways..at 53...and have an enhanced ability to do almost everything in life..simply from an extreme faith ..belief in what i describe as GOD..and fire in passion...to keep on moving in a positive direction..and a stronger direction in spirit..mind and body..every second of every NOW...

This site..statistically speaking.. is not reflective of many folks on the Autism Spectrum..many of which are more input and deep thinkers..and are the type of folk who would never communicate on the internet in writing..about their special interest..or issues in general about life...

I suggest you attend a support group for higher functioning autistic folks in real life..if available..to see just how deep and spiritual they are..much different that what i find online..but it makes sense..as many folks online are basically afraid to interact with real live flesh and blood human beings..not inclusive of course..per folks on the spectrum...

And there are only actually a minority of folks on this particular forum ..per a Boston University study at 26%.. per the percentage of atheists on this site..but lots of folks are afraid to come here and post as..conformity in communication is most definitely the social norm..on this internet site..only a select place for a so called elite segment of the spectrum with overall good writing skills...and decent communication skills overall..to survive in a large workplace environment....or whatever the environmental change..and challenge..

So ..if you are looking for religious leaning 'Aspie' folk..this may not be the acceptable environment ...you may not find many IN ...IT...

But they do live..i know that for sure..in so called REAL LIFE...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 24 Mar 2014, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:07 am

tomato wrote:

Very interesting.

I have been thinking quite a bit about what it is that makes some people religious and/or spiritual and some not, . Why does it seem like the underdog, the oppressed, the disabled, the suffering, the struggling etc are more religious and/or spiritual for example. I thought that Asperger was a form of oppressive underdog life that led to a different perspective, deeper thinking, more creative thinking, outside the box thinking, and thus that Asperger people might be more spiritual than the norm. I think I have Asperger but I'm not sure.

I personally think reason and logic are good for everyone to cultivate because that is how we discern fact from fiction; religion, of course, encourages the opposite. Irrationality, and thinking without presuppositions can be very useful short-term creative and meditation techniques, but if we don't apply reason and logic to our (non artistic) decisions, then we will make a lot of bad ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacies

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 5:50 am

I clicked on yes.

The truth is out there.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:22 am

Stannis wrote:
tomato wrote:

Very interesting.

I have been thinking quite a bit about what it is that makes some people religious and/or spiritual and some not, . Why does it seem like the underdog, the oppressed, the disabled, the suffering, the struggling etc are more religious and/or spiritual for example. I thought that Asperger was a form of oppressive underdog life that led to a different perspective, deeper thinking, more creative thinking, outside the box thinking, and thus that Asperger people might be more spiritual than the norm. I think I have Asperger but I'm not sure.

I personally think reason and logic are good for everyone to cultivate because that is how we discern fact from fiction; religion, of course, encourages the opposite. Irrationality, and thinking without presuppositions can be very useful short-term creative and meditation techniques, but if we don't apply reason and logic to our (non artistic) decisions, then we will make a lot of bad ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacies

Well..interestingly enough ..the emotional side of human beings..is the scientfically evidenced factor that influences all of our decisions...FOR EFFECTIVE DECISION MAKING....

IN fact..there is good evidence..that the executive functioning difficulties of some people on the spectrum..is a consequence of a life spent too much in the area of logic..analytical abilities..and mechanical cognition..overall ..neglecting social cognition..that is an instinctual AND LEARNED intelligence..not entirely different than learning how to solve an algebra problem...per mechanical cognition...

Social cognition..which is basically just cognitive empathy is the same pathway of emotional ability and SKILLS..THAT allow a person better to form short term working memory..to get by in the common sense stuff in life...

It's like that old saying..the rocket scientist that cannot find their way out of a paper bag...

And speaking of finding a person's way..an extremely ever growing neglect in the most important evolutionary aspect of human survival in intelligence..the intelligence of movement..that yes..IS a real learned intelligence through the course of a life..and instinctual too..THAT can be lost if not cultivated..or as a whole never gained...

Moving all parts of the body through space in 360 degrees of motion is a requirement in life..to gain full movement intelligence..and IN FACT..IF NOT CULTIVATED..the neglect in this type of movement intelligence can lead a person to deficits in the ability for social non-verbal communication..which is about 93% of all human reciprocal communication intelligence...

This is an issue with historical precedent back to the beginning of the agricultural era..where folks started to become machines..per mechanical cognition..more than the emotional social cognition leaning social animals..they ARE evolved to be...

This is where the ancient philosophy of the Yin and Yang comes in..a person must have both sides of the 'metaphorical' brain to be a complete human in ability to survive in this world...WITH peace of mind..otherwise know as simple animal homeostasis....rather than an anxious state of mind..and body per neurohormonal effects..and potential physiological damage..from the long term effect..of chronic stress and or anxiety..basically the same thing..anyway..a human without balance....

One does not usually thrive..with either side of the metaphorical brain..neglected for full intelligence these days..

Social and mechanical cognition..developed in balance is necessary for success in a complete and balanced metaphorical Yang AND YIN life..otherwise substantial human suffering is usually the consequence..to neglect either in the culture we live in now...

Unfortunately for people who have not more fully developed these most important areas of human intelligence per emotional and movement intelligence..it's hard to even explain to them why it is so important..and likely the source of their discontent..but the great news is the brain AND BODY.. is incredibly neuroplastic..and humans have the epigenetic ability to tap into their DNA..with WILL of change..to develop these most important areas of intelligence..

To thrive with peace of mind...after all.. that's why most people are even visiting this internet site..they are missing something..they cannot quite per their hands on ..in both literal and metaphorical..reality..

IT'S MORE LIKE THE MOVIE 'THE MATRIX' IN FULL METAPHOR THAN FOLKS TRULY REALIZE...

IT's simple..extremely simple..SOME lack movement and emotional intelligence..simply as they are focused on a limited area of intelligence..instead of developing the FULL HUMAN MIND AND body..and spirituality if one wants to look to the higher power of a FULLY BALANCED HUMAN BEING..

BUT THERE IS NO WAY to find TRUE ENLIGHTENMENT UNTIL BALANCE IS GAINED first...

Now of course all of this is just my opinion..some of it backed up by science..YES..on the importance.. of movement and emotional intelligence..take it with a grain of salt..if ya like...

But my insights have basically saved my life..and created a life of constant bliss for me...

Compared to the literal human hell i use to exist in..simply as i only used half a brain...AND BODY....

And haha..i wouldn't listen to anyone in real life..who would intimate this too me...back in the day when
i only had half a brain...

But i am humbled and graced...to find the truth..of what i am..in a whole human being..not a half a one...in metaphor per cultivation of ALL my human being...

And how did i do it..i started walking in reverse..ended up a tai chi and martial arts master..moving in 360 degrees..with no instruction from anyone..and a poet to boot..per an out of the box free verse style of poetry...with no instruction from anyone..and physicaly stronger and more agile than ever before in life at 53..and even stronger than almost all the elite military forces..exercising at my military gym...with no instruction from anyone..i followed my instinctual human nature..fully realized..and awakened to make this happen...

It balanced me and i can do almost anything i set my mind to now..and YES I CAN PROVE IT TOO....on request...SERIOUSLY.. I AM NOT kidding...:)

I would like to see other folks have the similar bliss i have..Y..i have cognitive empathy..and use it...every second of every day..now..i do not even score in the autism range anymore on the AQ test..moving from 45 to 11..after my epigenetic and neuroplastic..BALANCE..OF LIFE..AS A FULL HUMAN BEING...

ANYWAY..I SAY ALL THESE WORDS..AS THERE IS ALWAYS THE POTENTIAL THAT PART OF SOMETHING I SAY..MAY SPARK THE SEEKING OF THE TRUTH OF BALANCE..IN SOMEONE..ANYONE'S LIFE..COMING ACROSS THESE WORDS...

BUT IT TAKES BOTH movement and emotional intelligence..to get the whole dam thing.. balanced..

the TOTAL HUMANBEING...not a half a one..in METAPHOR..OR THE TRUTH OF ONE'S REALITY.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

I wonder what the response would be if I asked the same question on a forum for stoners...

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

tomato wrote:
I have been wondering if many people with Asperger or Autism are truth seekers.

Are you very interested in subjects like these listed below?

conspiracies
aliens and ufos
the esoteric/occult/mysticism
secret societies
hidden history
mind control
the new world order
the powers that be
illuminati
geo-engineering and chemtrails
the paranormal
ancient civilizations
human origins
spirituality
religion
alternative media
alternative healthcare
false flags
big brother
9/11
nature of reality
hidden science

Is that what you see as true? I do seek the truth, but not in most of those things or a supposed "New World Order" that is too weak to censor the internet.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

tomato wrote:
I wonder what the response would be if I asked the same question on a forum for stoners...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3C9rMIRuF8[/youtube]

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

The OP should keep in mind that this is a site for autism spectrum folks.

Its NOT a site for paranoid schzophrenics!

If you find yourself a paranoid schzophrenic site you probably find many aluminum foil hat wearing enthusiats for many of the topics listed like "conspiracies", "mind control", "illuminati",and the like.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The OP should keep in mind that this is a site for autism spectrum folks.

Its NOT a site for paranoid schzophrenics!

If you find yourself a paranoid schzophrenic site you probably find many aluminum foil hat wearing enthusiats for many of the topics listed like "conspiracies", "mind control", "illuminati",and the like.

I don't think it is fair to lump conspiracies and mind control in with illuminati.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Mind control (also known as brainwashing, coercive persuasion, thought control, or thought reform) is an indoctrination process which results in "an impairment of autonomy, an inability to think independently, and a disruption of beliefs and affiliations. In this context, brainwashing refers to the involuntary reeducation of basic beliefs and values"[1] The term has been applied to any tactic, psychological or otherwise, which can be seen as subverting an individual's sense of control over their own thinking, behavior, emotions or decision making.

Public Relations/ Propaganda fulfils the above criteria of mind control. You might also want to look into MK Ultra; The CIA's 30+ year program which illegally tested mind control techniques on U.S citizens. The program was officially halted in 73, and was subject to two congressional enquiries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_ultra

I do not think that conspiracy means what you think it does:

Quote:
con·spir·a·cy [kuhn-spir-uh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural con·spir·a·cies.
the act of conspiring.
an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
Law. an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conspiracy?s=t

Last edited by Stannis on 24 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.