Charactor matters even if it hurts your agenda

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 6:30 pm

The Character Crisis Comes to Rome by David French

Quote:
person becomes more powerful, does his character matter less? Or more? Increasingly, it seems, the answer from partisans is resounding and unmistakeable.

It’s less. It’s so much less that it’s doubtful character matters at all.

You think I’m talking about Donald Trump, don’t you? You think I’m talking about the disturbing tendency of Trumpists to shrug aside his infidelities, his ignorance, and his outright mendacity, for the sake of policy victories and good judges, or to simply beat the Left. You think I’m talking about the irritating tendency to care more about who is making claims against Trump than the truth of the claims themselves. After all, if Donald Trump loses, the “deep state” wins, and the deep state simply cannot be permitted to prevail.

For more than two years now, progressives have been screaming to conservatives that the truth matters. Character matters. You cannot — must not — turn a blind eye to real wrongdoing, even when the stakes seem high. In other words, after selling out to protect Bill Clinton in 1998, the progressive movement has reformed. It understands that character matters and some values (our “norms”) transcend politics.

Or maybe their movement hasn’t reformed at all. Maybe partisans haven’t changed. Raise the stakes enough, and character once again matters less than the cause.

Just ask the progressive partisans of Pope Francis. This week, we’ve witnessed a remarkable turn of events. A senior Vatican official — a member of a rival Church faction — has written a letter accusing the pope of ignoring claims of sex abuse against former cardinal Theodore McCarrick. The pope has not denied the allegations. In fact, he’s refused to address the allegations at all. It’s a claim that cries out for a full and complete investigation, and if the allegations are proven true, then it demands a meaningful consequence.

But don’t tell that to the New York Times. Don’t tell that to the pope’s defenders. They’ve turned to the old playbook. Demonize the accusers. Question their good faith. Point out the good that the pope is doing. Read, for example, this remarkable paragraph in a Times article entitled “Vatican Power Struggle Bursts Into Open as Conservatives Pounce”:

With the letter — released in the middle of the pope’s visit to Ireland — an ideologically motivated opposition has weaponized the church’s sex abuse crisis to threaten not only Francis’ agenda but his entire papacy. At the very least, it has returned the issue of homosexuality in the Roman Catholic Church, which many conservatives are convinced lies behind the abuse crisis, to the center of debate.

Wait. What? To put this in perspective, can you imagine the Times writing: “An ideologically motivated opposition has weaponized Donald Trump’s affairs to threaten not only Trump’s agenda but his entire presidency”? The Times is engaging in Breitbart-level misdirection.

And it’s not “just” the most important newspaper in the world indulging in this kind of spin. Take the astounding NBC News interview of Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago. After saying that the news media should press Francis’s accuser for information (fair enough), Cupich says this:

But for the Holy Father, I think to get into each and every one of those aspects, in some way is inappropriate and secondly, the pope has a bigger agenda. He’s gotta get on with other things of talking about the environment and protecting migrants and carrying on the work of the Church. We’re not going to go down a rabbit hole on this.

Is that the progressive Christian version of “But Gorsuch”? But the environment. But immigration.

Catholic theologian Massimo Faggioli even went so far as to invoke the alt-right in defense of the pope. No, really:

Short thread.
I am afraid alt-right figures are using this - Viganò and not only - as an opportunity to destroy the institution in order to gain control of it. Turn bishops against one another. Get the laity to mistrust the leaders and work for their demise.
3:38 PM - Aug 29, 2018

And, let’s keep in mind, these classic Clinton- and Trump-style defenses are mounted not on behalf of a secular politician but for the most important religious leader in the entire world.

Too many of us are getting the character analysis exactly upside down. The more important the position, the more important the character of the person who holds it. Any other approach will eventually result in the loss of trust and avalanche of scandal that we see today. When enough people place institutions (or policies) over principles, then they will overlook dishonesty. They’ll overlook incompetence. They’ll even overlook sex abuse — until the cry of the victims is too great to be ignored.

Yet still we haven’t learned. Still, partisans will impose accountability only when they can do so at zero cost to their preferred leader or their cause. If accountability means the other side wins, accountability has to wait. But zero-cost accountability isn’t evidence of character. It’s certainly not evidence of courage. It’s just convenience.

It’s increasingly clear that partisans would rather burn their credibility to ashes than allow their hated opposition to even sniff at victory — especially when the stakes always seem so high. What’s a little cover-up when the pope is saving the planet? What’s the importance of an affair and potential felonies when the regulatory state is running amok? In the meantime, we let the very foundations of our culture rot from the inside out, believing that better policies are somehow more important than the state of our hearts and souls.

Pope Francis should answer the allegations made against him. He should cooperate fully with impartial investigators. Let’s have the truth. Indeed, let’s have the truth in Washington and Rome, and when the truth comes out we cannot flinch from its consequences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 9:35 pm

This kind of thing is bad for everyone. We don't want the right doing it, we don't want the left doing it.

I can't help but think a large part of this has been expedited by the decay of the media. The whole idea seemed, increasingly, that any concept to be shown on the news and discussed had to be stated in five minutes or less and also, quite arbitrarily often, had to be debated by for or against positions. When things are so advertising-driven, ie. if it bleeds it leads, or when the soundbites are so short that you can't learn much of anything from them aside from the most superficial details, it's just bad for the public psyche.

I really like the increasing number of serious long-form discussions that are two or three hours long. People can open Youtube and watch academic panel discussions like this anytime they want and there are probably a wealth of good podcasts of this nature where if you can't sit and watch a video you can pop on headphones while driving while jogging, working, etc.. I think we might have the ingredients to refortify our culture. Some people say that culture is downstream from politics - I'm really not so sure about that, ie. it's likely that they reinforce each other, both languish when they're both equally weak and both improve if even one starts shaping up for the better.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 10:24 am

Only When 'Men' LEarn
To FeeL themSelves Up
Will They Ever Be Free;
Women Lead Love Mostly;
Men Fall to Fear of Love
in General of
Love Is To Be.
When i 'See' Priests
Politicians
Popes and CEO's
i see tiny
men and
little
WoMen
With little to
No Relative Free Will of Soul (Love).
True Love is Never Politics for it only Gives and Shares.
The Church The Politics The Religion 'The Business' is far
As it Always Has (Is) Been From The Essence of Love Freeing US NoW.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick