Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
NO.

Why? Is it because she is loaded, or that she has tons of International and Federal political experience?

Most likely because she is heavily associated with the policies of George W. Bush.

Her academic credentials are impeccable (Provost of the prestigious Stanford University from 1993 to 1999) and probably outshines all other realistic presidential candidates in 2016 on academic merits, but she was a central figure in the administration of a President who will likely mostly be remembered for his political incompetence.

The economic crisis was mostly caused by stuff beyond the president's reach ("A Home of Your Own" was not the only factor); a steep rise in oil prices between 2003 and 2008, the fact that the American car industry had been in a decline for more than a decade, predatory behaviour by private banks, and several screwups by the congress, should all get their share of the blame. Bush was not a good president, but I don't think Obama would have done a better job if he faced the same obstacles (take Cash for Clunkers, for instance).

It was caused by deregulation of banks and bad loans.

Actually, there was an increase in regulation during George W. Bush, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. The banks were misregulated, not deregulated.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
NO.

Why? Is it because she is loaded, or that she has tons of International and Federal political experience?

Most likely because she is heavily associated with the policies of George W. Bush.

Her academic credentials are impeccable (Provost of the prestigious Stanford University from 1993 to 1999) and probably outshines all other realistic presidential candidates in 2016 on academic merits, but she was a central figure in the administration of a President who will likely mostly be remembered for his political incompetence.

The economic crisis was mostly caused by stuff beyond the president's reach ("A Home of Your Own" was not the only factor); a steep rise in oil prices between 2003 and 2008, the fact that the American car industry had been in a decline for more than a decade, predatory behaviour by private banks, and several screwups by the congress, should all get their share of the blame. Bush was not a good president, but I don't think Obama would have done a better job if he faced the same obstacles (take Cash for Clunkers, for instance).

I wasn't referring to the Financial Crisis. The blame lies equally on both US parties for that blunder.

What I was referring to was... Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq. Iraq.

And because of the role of Condolezza Rice as National Security Advisor and then Secretary of State, much of the criticism of the Iraq War will automatically be directed at her.

Only the congress can declare war, and many European and Asian countries are in on it. There's no black-white morality regarding the war in Iraq; the alternative was to keep the Ba'ath Party and the Hussein dynasty in place, watching Iraq turn even worse and possible seing another Gulf war in the near future.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I wouldn't mind if she took a shot at it.
Of course, to not vote for her would be pure racism just like in '08 for those who didnt vote for Obama.

Then if it was a choice between her and Obama, who would you pick?

1. Obama can't run again. He's had his two terms which were two terms too many.

Obama was voted into office same as Bush before him and Clinton before him. I get so tired of conservatives whining about the democratic process. You gotta suck it up just like the Dems when a Republican is in office. That's life. Grow up and deal with it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:51 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
NO.

Actually, there was an increase in regulation during George W. Bush, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. The banks were misregulated, not deregulated.

They had bad mortgage ads on cable every night while Bush was president encouraging people to take out bad loans they could never repay. It was a scam of monumental proportions just so they could have more to package up in those CDOs to sell overseas which were toxic.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:59 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
NO.

They had bad mortgage ads on cable every night while Bush was president encouraging people to take out bad loans they could never repay. It was a scam of monumental proportions just so they could have more to package up in those CDOs to sell overseas which were toxic.

This predatory behaviour is the fault of the bankers and not the president. Like I said: The banks were misregulated. An economic crisis will only happen if a lot of negative factors happen at the same time. The depression between 1927 and 1943, was not only because of the stock crash, but also because too many people withdrew their money from the banks between 1931 and 1933; when the banks went bankrupt, those who did not withdraw their money lost their savings.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Raptor wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Of course, to not vote for her would be pure racism just like in '08 for those who didnt vote for Obama.

Then if it was a choice between her and Obama, who would you pick?

1. Obama can't run again. He's had his two terms which were two terms too many.

Obama was voted into office same as Bush before him and Clinton before him. I get so tired of conservatives whining about the democratic process. You gotta suck it up just like the Dems when a Republican is in office. That's life. Grow up and deal with it.

I didnt whine nearly as much about Obama as the democrats did about Bush, comparing the Bush administration to the Third Reich and/or the Sith.
In fact, compared to the democrats I didn't whine at all.

But since you did listen to me whine about Obama, here's a cookie for you.

Last edited by Raptor on 01 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:22 pm

It's always funny when people resort to reductio ad Hitlerum. It's equally funny when people assume that you're in cahoots with George W. Bush just because you're skeptical to what Michael Moore says or because you disapprove of the Obama administration.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:31 pm

Kurgan wrote:
It's always funny when people resort to reductio ad Hitlerum. It's equally funny when people assume that you're in cahoots with George W. Bush just because you're skeptical to what Michael Moore says or because you disapprove of the Obama administration.

Gotta love those open minded progressives.....

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

To answer the original question, I would hesitate to recommend her simply because she has no executive experience. For the same reason, I doubt she is seriously interested.

Whoever succeeds Obama will most likely be a Republican and there's an excellent change she'll be a major player in that White House.

Unfortunately, it's a bad idea to vote for someone as President because you believe they're smart or you agree with their views. To be in charge of the US Government, you should have been in charge of something else and done a creditable job.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

I'd like to see a woman as President,just not her.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:

If she couldn't please Bill Clinton, then perhaps she couldn't please America either... ;)

Last edited by Kurgan on 02 Apr 2014, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm

Raptor wrote:

And sexism too! Because we are such an intellectually vacuous society that we have to guilt people into voting for a candidate, that the herpes that is "hope and change" has infected our brains with a fascination for wonderment and bluster over actual substance. How many Americans even know how many executive orders that Obama has given compared to Reagan, or even Bush (let me give you a hint: Bush in fact issued more executive orders), or what bills Obama has signed or helped to write, let alone what's in them? They have disarmed us mentally by devolving the political world to talking points and advertisements, objectifying us like sheeple and we didn't even collectively notice. Now we just use our emotions to deal with issues that require a clinical and logical approach, because we have no collective sense of responsibility for our decisions and 17 trillion dollars in debt isn't even a concept to us. There is no longer any accountability or honesty anywhere and I'm afraid it could be gone from America forever. The people who originally were set in place to serve us now play with our minds as if we were their pets, to the point that we can't even collectively recognize their hubris. People stood and cheered during Dr. King's memorial as bigoted and hateful people stood up and contradicted King himself at every turn, actually offending his family members who by the way didn't even get the opportunity to speak at their own family patriarch's memorial. It's so overt and disgusting that it's like we are having msg pills shoved down out throats as someone holds our muzzle closed and massages our throat. And yet we don't even notice as a country that this is happening because we are high on their political drugs.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:00 pm

Like others mentioned, does Condi have any qualifications?

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:01 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Like others mentioned, does Condi have any qualifications?

Extensive academic qualifications and government service over a career that is decidedly longer than Obama's. Who needs qualifications when you can take a community organizer like Obama and make him president? The real question is: how much money can she gather to support a campaign? If she can't gather billions of dollars then she's s**t out of luck in this "wonderful"/repulsive new campaigning system we have.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:10 am

I just don't like the Bush era cabinet. With all these politicians,surely there's more choices?

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:43 am

Misslizard wrote:

I think they should run her. That'll certainly go over well with the GOP voter base :twisted: