Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Should wolves be found nationwide again?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Partially 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
I am the wolf 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

Yes or no?
Please Explain.

They used to be continent wide! (till the pale faces took our land! JK :lol: )

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

I think they should,it would help with the deer overpopulation.The trouble starts when ranchers lose livestock.A few losses wouldn't be that big a deal,but if they really did a dent in the herd I can understand while some wouldn't like them roaming.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

Partially, depending on the impact of the particular area.
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) has been instrumental in re-introducing elk to Appalachia and other historical elk ranges.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

I'd rather have wolves than those pesky elk.Those thing are a real nuisance,there was a giant bull in the highway once at night,we almost hit it.The elk knock the fences down,then G&F sprays herbicide to clear land for them and they are not the even native species that was here,Eastern Elk are extinct.Its just to make tourist dollars.
In the next county over they passed a law where the nuisance elk can be killed.And don't even try to pick up a shed on park land,the rangers get all pisssy.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

Voted "yes", but "partially" is obviously a more sensible option.

They should be introduced to places where: they are likely to feed mostly on deer and similar, rather than livestock; conflict with humans is likely to be minimal; there is a strong ecological case; there is sufficient space for them (they need at least 20 square kilometres, and that's an outlying low estimate).
Wolves are essentially safe for humans. There are no reliable records of non-rabid wolves attacking humans, unlike with bears for example. However, they do sometimes kill 200 sheep at once, which is obviously an issue for farmers. They prefer their natural prey though. Finally, if humans don't want wolves around, they'll try and kill them. No point introducing them where the locals don't want them.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:53 pm

Red wolves were the native species here,they are extinct.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I'd rather have wolves than those pesky elk.Those thing are a real nuisance,there was a giant bull in the highway once at night,we almost hit it.The elk knock the fences down,then G&F sprays herbicide to clear land for them and they are not the even native species that was here,Eastern Elk are extinct.Its just to make tourist dollars.
In the next county over they passed a law where the nuisance elk can be killed.And don't even try to pick up a shed on park land,the rangers get all pisssy.

How do you know wolves won't be worse than elk?
It's not like coyotes are of much benefit.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

Wolves won't eat my garden.I like to hear the coyotes at night,one tried to grab a turkey once,but that's the only problem I had with them.Its just a matter of time before the elk make it over the mountain here.
http://articles.ky3.com/2012-02-02/elk_31019509

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:19 pm

/\ Uh huh, and if I'd said bring back the wolves and not the elk you'd have disagreed and said the wolves would eat your dog or whatever......

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Red wolves were the native species here,they are extinct.

Complicated... there is debate about whether they are too inbred with coyotes or not. There are thought to be about 100 left (though not in Arkansas, they were all moved to North Carolina).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 9:13 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ Uh huh, and if I'd said bring back the wolves and not the elk you'd have disagreed and said the wolves would eat your dog or whatever......

I'm sure they'd eat him,he just a little corgi.Coyotes carry off small domestic dogs and cats also.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 9:39 pm

I chose "partially." While I'd love to see any magnificent animal return from from the piddling numbers we humans have reduced their population to, the fact remains, domestic and farm animals would be at greater risk of being killed and eaten. And I can remember when they used to assure us that wolves didn't really hurt humans - in fact, the old Grizzly Adams show had gotten in trouble for having a female character set upon by wolves. Well guess what, since then, there have in fact been recorded cases of people being killed by wolves. That obviously is another concern.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 10:26 am

Wolves are usually harmless to humans (not a single attack on humans has been documented in Norway), and they won't venture near livestock if there are alarms that emulate howling nearby. If wolves weren't killed to near extinction in the US, the coyotes (who aren't scared of humans, unlike wolves) would not be as big of a problem.

In general, wolves are misunderstood creatures--and they're not particularly fond of taking risks, nor are they vicious in any way. Attacks on humans mostly come from feral hybrids.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

I'd like to see a large wolf pack turned loose in congress. :D

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I'd like to see a large wolf pack turned loose in congress. :D

Most likely they'd be scared of the people, and wouldn't resort to any attacks unless they were cornered and couldn't find a way out.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm

Well shucks. :(