Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 9:25 am

New York Times: Trump Speaks With Taiwan’s Leader, an Affront to China

Quote:
Initial reaction from China about Friday’s telephone call was surprise verging on disbelief. “This is a big event, the first challenge the president-elect has made to China,” said Shi Yinhong, professor of international relations at Renmin University in Beijing. “This must be bad news for the Chinese leadership.”

Will this really be an issue for the Chinese?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Dec 2016, 2:10 pm

8O This is a loony leftie policy! Idealistically I certainly support Trump on this, although pragmatically it might be a bad idea. It does make sense given Trump's hatred of the PRC.

Uninformed speculation: China's response will be to reassert itself in the South China Sea and clamp down on independence movements in Hong Kong and Tibet. If Trump supports either of them, then there will be trouble - but not necessarily military action.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 2:26 pm

He reminds me of Mr. Magoo. Who knows, sometimes the unpredictable works.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

The US sells billions in weapons to Taiwan, I don't think China cares too much about Trump speaking to their president nor does speaking to someone mean a fundamental shift in policy. No, we should not let intimidation from the communist Chinese dictate who the US president is allowed to speak to. The media, as always, seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 5:31 pm

I don't think Trump did a wise thing.

It's very symbolic. He's sticking it to the PRC.

Even Nixon, for crissakes, respected the PRC.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm

From what I read about the situation it's portrayed that he just thought snubbing a congratulatory call from a foreign leader in good faith was stupid. That could have been naive of him and I'm not sure whether China will consider it an act of aggression or, possibly the other way, a sign of weakness or feebleness in Trump.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 9:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
From what I read about the situation it's portrayed that he just thought snubbing a congratulatory call from a foreign leader in good faith was stupid. That could have been naive of him and I'm not sure whether China will consider it an act of aggression or, possibly the other way, a sign of weakness or feebleness in Trump.

I'm starting to think he's crazy like a fox:

I think he knew what he was doing and acted deliberately.

Here are some tweets:

"Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency (making it hard for our companies to compete), heavily tax our products going into." Trump

"their country (the U.S. doesn't tax them) or to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don't think so!" Trump

China wrote:
China Daily, a state-run newspaper, said the president-elect’s “inexperience” led him to accept the call from Tsai Ing-wen, but warned that any further challenges to established norms in the US-China relationship would meet with a sterner response.

"If Trump wants to overstep the One China principle, he will destroy Sino-US ties," the newspaper wrote.

Telegraph: Donald Trump attacks China on Twitter over currency manipulation and South China Sea deepening diplomatic row

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 9:51 am

If Trump doesn't desist from his diplomatic gaffes, he will be playing a dangerous game.

We might have dodged a bullet on this.

His advisors had better stop him from shooting off at the mouth so often.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:01 am

That is why I decided than now was a good time to buy my 4K/UHD TV set. Only $300 for a 40" Samsung.

If Trump succeeds in alienating our trade partners, I'd expect stuff like TVs to be a lot more expensive in the future.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

Satire from the Borowitz Report: Obama Politely Asks Trump to Wait Until Inauguration Before Destroying World

Quote:
According to the aides, Obama said that, while he understood that Trump was eager to create potentially cataclysmic diplomatic crises around the world, tradition dictated that he wait until he is actually President to do so.

Obama cited the example of George W. Bush, who waited until he took the oath of office before wreaking destruction on a massive scale.

“There’ll be loads of time for you to do stuff like that,” Obama reportedly said.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 1:18 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I'm starting to think he's crazy like a fox:

I think he knew what he was doing and acted deliberately.

Here are some tweets:

"Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency (making it hard for our companies to compete), heavily tax our products going into." Trump

"their country (the U.S. doesn't tax them) or to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don't think so!" Trump

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think we'll have a real clear idea though of what he's willing to do or not do in terms of foreign policy until he's in. The impression I've gotten is that he's spent most of his life cracking people up by 'telling it how it is'. It's assertive and made people laugh and won respect no doubt but by that same token I do think we'll see him tend toward speaking sarcastically in situations of little gravity but show a lot more care in decisive actions that would involve the whole nation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I'm starting to think he's crazy like a fox: I think he knew what he was doing and acted deliberately.

Yep, I've been thinking that for a while, now----more-than-once, he's said: "They told me not to say that" (or, "do that"); but, he followed his own instincts and said / did it, anyway. Obviously, it didn't keep him from getting elected, so he must not be TOO stupid.

One of the reasons may be because of that trait of "collecting people", like narcissists like to do, so they've always got LOTS of people in their corner, in-case someone says something like: "You're such a shmuck-wad", there'll be 10s of people (or 100s, maybe, in PE Trump's case), saying: "Oh, no, he's NOT". Also, he's a businessman, and it's their MO to "always be selling"----ONESELF, in-this-case (the case of a narcissist).

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 7:07 pm

It might be good if he shakes China up a bit. They are too easily affronted.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:13 am

Trump’s Taiwan phone call was long planned, say people who were involved

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 9:52 am

Yet obama meeting with dictators was great. Now begins the anything trump does is bad even if obama had done it it'd been seen as good, but trump did it so it's bad.

Willing to bet our billions in aid and weapons is more of upfront to china, if not for that they'd probably rolled over Taiwan long ago. And not forget Taiwan was the government of china before the communist uprising and they were betrayed during ww2 despite a truce to fight the Japanese. So why all the hate for Taiwan but push for free Tibet?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 10:32 am

Even Nixon wouldn't have had the gall to ignore the People's Republic of China.