Page 4 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:12 pm

In Game of Thrones, "All Men Must Die" is translated from "Valar Morghulis", an ancient Valyrian proverb which means what it says; that death is inevitable. It is not gender specific.

WIth so many real problems in the world, it is dispiriting to see so many men join the woman hating version of the Klan.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I always thought a MRA was a Magnetic Resonance Angiogram.Never heard of the other term till here.

I thought it was an especially aggressive infection.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

Masterbating is Really Awesome!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

Stannis wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
can someone explain me this - what's up with all this anti-feminism?

is this an American thing?

is this an autistic men thing?

is this a PPR subforum thing? (though apparently it leaks quite a bit)

is this internet thing?

is this men thing?

The first time I encountered it was on this forum and it's not attractive. I personally think that they are just trolling.

I've seen it elsewhere, mostly in the comment sections of anything even vaguely pro-feminist. It does seem pretty common on here, though.

I think there's several things going on, in a venn diagram kind of way. I think good old misogyny aside, there's:

- confusion over gender and relationship dynamics, which can confound NTs, let alone those who can struggle to understand others and are more likely to want structure and routine and fixedness

- disavowed/redirected class anger (a woman has wealth and power! Attack the woman! Only losers question the power and economic structure!)

- the rise of the PUA/Game/alpha crap, and the view of women it assumes and encourages.

- the post-Dawkins rise of the atheist/rationalist/skeptic, which can lean toward scientistic essentialism - feminism is unscientific, and/or sexism is natural - and anger when women don't behave as they are ('scientifically') supposed to. Or, on the other hand, do behave as they are supposed to, which is go with other, 'more suitable' men, and the self-loathing from this that is projected into the female as a whole, who is biologically programmed to behave so; who in the very essence of her biological being 'hates me before she even sees me, the b***h'.

- 'men are rational, women are emotional' abounds enough before we bring in the old 'those with aspergers/autism are more logical' line, which just magnifies it. I don't understand women, therefore they are irrational, and irrational is bad, if they were rational they'd do what I demand of them, etc.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

nobody takes PUA's seriously recently a Toronto Mall kicked them out

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:
Re: the twitter tag #killallmen

The VoiceForMen guy said “If a group of men – or worse, a group of MRAs – would’ve done something like that, the entire society would have demanded their heads on the sticks. Yet feminists can get away with virtually anything – from making a mockery out of genital mutilation to outright calling for the extermination of the male sex”

He wasn't kidding about making a mockery out of genital mutilation. The feminist excuse for pushing circumcision while considering type I FGM to be a human rights violation is that there's no reduction in sensitivity in 'cut' men. Really? Even if that were true (which it isn't), you've just removed the most sensitive area for a lot of men. In that case, I guess it would be OK to snip their clits off just as long as the rest of their reproductve tract was still sensitive.

There is a difference in magnitutde between cutting off a piece of foreskin on the penis and cutting off the clit. I was circumcised and while I question my parents' reason for it, it's not like it's had any profound impact on my life.

You'll have to enlighten me. My own experience was that until things loosened up, sex was downright disappointing. If I wash too aggressively and dry the skin too much, I lose about half the pleasure. I would have assumed that the difference is large.

You probably don't want to feel like a victim, or dwell on it, but is that a reason to let this happen to boys who can't say no?

Quote:
Having said that, many feminists do actually side with men's rights advocates on this issue. There is some validity to the argument even if it is perhaps exaggerated.

They have good reason to, maybe more than they realize. I hear a lot of frustration from WRAs about body-image. As someone who wasn't mutilated as an infant, sex is less visual and more tactile for me than it seems to be for a lot of men. I can't blame men for judging women by their looks if that's the only thing that they aren't too maimed to enjoy.

As far as how it compares to type I FGM, let's use the same standard of "profound impact". I had a bunch of Somali friends (all girls), and while I didn't ask, they implied that some of them had had the procedure. All of them still liked having boyfriends and all of the things that usually come with that, so did it have a more "profound impact" on their lives then circumcision has on boys' lives?

By the way, circumcision does kill:

http://forward.com/articles/192278/prot ... sio/?p=all

People in the US go to jail for clit-snipping (including women), but this is classified as a protected religious practice.

heavenlyabyss wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:
http://www.avoiceformen.com/allnews/feminist-hate-explodes-on-twitter-with-killallmen/

man hating feminists currently using twitter which is created by men calling for genocide and mass murder of men some even advocated using men and forced slave labour.

Yeah, there's a lot of hypocrisy that goes on.

No joke. I'd never heard of A Voice For Men until I read this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/11 ... blacklist/

Nothing on that site comes close to the advocacy of genocide on that still-unblocked WRA Twit-ter feed.

Quote:
But I think the more rational feminists are trying to distance themselves from this kind of nonsense.

Perhaps they shoud start by making sure that they're using a non-bigoted antivirus. Given the recent dust-up involving the gay-marriage politics of Mozilla's departed CEO, I don't think that it's too much to ask that people stop rewarding unethical organizations.

Quote:
Something funny I came across on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGPV7c ... qa-k2b2uUf

People are crazy. Hopefully the more rational MRA members are trying to distance themselves from this nonsense as well.

I'm going to invoke your "difference in magnitude" standard here. Saying 'I don't care anymore' isn't on the same level as saying 'let's kill men'.

Some choice bits from the latter:

"Stabbing is not my preferred method for #killallmen, TBH. Too messy."

"Archery early tomorrow morning. Preparing for when it’s time to #killallmen."

"Not endorsing that we #killallmen, (some of my best friends, etc), but reducing men to 1 in 4 would solve many of Society's problems."

Some friend.

"I was thinking of foeticide, rather than bumping off 3/4 of the current male population. But then again I've got a little list ..."

When women feel comfortable saying that with their normal Twitter handles, and their face-pics decorating the thread, then it's not just a teensy little minority. They at least have a lot of support and acceptance.

Last edited by NobodyKnows on 09 Apr 2014, 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2014, 2:18 pm

Quote:
When women feel comfortable saying that with their normal Twitter handles, and their face-pics decorating the thread, then it's not just a teensy little minority. They at least have a lot of support and acceptance.

is there a way to report this calling for male genocide to twitter?

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

Hopper wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:
recently i the U.S.A bill boards advertising the upcoming season of game of thrones have the quote "all men must die".

So pointing out the fact of mortality is man-hating now?

Typical.

That's some real political courage, Hopper. You must be proud. Yeah, he misunderstood it, but some of his other points (which you ducked) were legit. For example, that it's not just a tiny minority of feminists who hate men. (See above.)

Quote:
I don't watch the show either, but then I wouldn't draw any sociological conclusions from an advertising campaign for it.

I don't watch it either. But since we've agreed that ad campaigns aren't sociological statements, I'm sure that you'll be happy to scold girls for being petty:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/st ... 62041.html

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2014, 2:56 pm

Hopper wrote:
I've seen it elsewhere, mostly in the comment sections of anything even vaguely pro-feminist. It does seem pretty common on here, though.

I think there's several things going on, in a venn diagram kind of way. I think good old misogyny aside, there's:

- confusion over gender and relationship dynamics, which can confound NTs, let alone those who can struggle to understand others and are more likely to want structure and routine and fixedness

- disavowed/redirected class anger (a woman has wealth and power! Attack the woman! Only losers question the power and economic structure!)

- the rise of the PUA/Game/alpha crap, and the view of women it assumes and encourages.

- the post-Dawkins rise of the atheist/rationalist/skeptic, which can lean toward scientistic essentialism - feminism is unscientific, and/or sexism is natural - and anger when women don't behave as they are ('scientifically') supposed to. Or, on the other hand, do behave as they are supposed to, which is go with other, 'more suitable' men, and the self-loathing from this that is projected into the female as a whole, who is biologically programmed to behave so; who in the very essence of her biological being 'hates me before she even sees me, the b***h'.

- 'men are rational, women are emotional' abounds enough before we bring in the old 'those with aspergers/autism are more logical' line, which just magnifies it. I don't understand women, therefore they are irrational, and irrational is bad, if they were rational they'd do what I demand of them, etc.

Thanks, well classified, some good insights. Haven't thought about the "scientific view" though, pretty bizarre, but makes sense. as a scientist myself I often forget that common people tend to indulge in their own fantasies justifying with this "scientific" righteousness

Also it looks to me, but I may be wrong, that in America feminist bashing is a bit more widespread than in Europe. Could be the way feminists operate, or because of media, ..

I suppose autistic men have a lot of frustration directed towards women and they don't understand "womens rights" because in they (even though they should be sympathizing with the oppressed)dont have even that level of rights.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 2:59 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
Hopper wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:
recently i the U.S.A bill boards advertising the upcoming season of game of thrones have the quote "all men must die".

So pointing out the fact of mortality is man-hating now?

Typical.

That's some real political courage, Hopper. You must be proud. Yeah, he misunderstood it, but some of his other points (which you ducked) were legit. For example, that it's not just a tiny minority of feminists who hate men. (See above.)

Because I get tired of doing so. I've talked looooaaaadddsss about/in defense of feminism on here, and in other corners of the internet. Sometimes I've got the energy and interest to get into such a thing, sometimes it's really not worth the effort - I at least have to have the confidence that, in troubling to express myself, I will be met halfway with understanding.

NobodyKnows wrote:
Quote:
I don't watch the show either, but then I wouldn't draw any sociological conclusions from an advertising campaign for it.

I don't watch it either. But since we've agreed that ad campaigns aren't sociological statements, I'm sure that you'll be happy to scold girls for being petty:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/st ... 62041.html

Not at all.

I reject the phrasing of my earlier remark. I was writing in a rush, and to eager to try and be funny - I would have better phrased it that, not having seen the programme, I would not know the context, and so wouldn't form a sociological conclusion from the ad alone. As it was, I think I guessed the context/meaning right, and that GoT didn't turn out to be misandrist propaganda after all.

I think advertising/marketing plays a powerful role in shaping social and political views, and so is a very valid subject for criticism.

ETA: Did you see his earlier video and thread? Anyone who can sincerely post such a video and endorse and defend it wholeheartedly is beyond considering anything I might have to say. I responded all the same because, you know, I'm human.

The 'man hating' line was a dig at his asserted confusion that feminists/women think 'facts' are somehow 'woman hating'.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2014, 8:36 am

Feminist Declaration of War Against the Non-Feminist World

http://counterfem.blogspot.ca/2014/04/f ... t-non.html

Quote:
they WILL go after people like Alison Tieman, or people like the Men's Rights Edmonton Group.

They will also go after people like Warren Farrell, or people like Janice Fiamengo.

And let's not forget that many years ago, they went after Erin Pizzey.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 8:53 am

sephardic-male wrote:
Quote:

1-800-Nobody Cares

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2014, 8:55 am

TheGoggles wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:
Quote:

1-800-Nobody Cares

would you say the same if some radical MRA usuing hashtag #killallwomen?

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

sephardic-male wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:
Quote:

1-800-Nobody Cares

would you say the same if some radical MRA usuing hashtag #killallwomen?

Yes, because there are thousands upon thousands of complete and total idiots on Twitter working very hard to ruin their careers and reputations. If you give people a public forum, you're going to get all kinds of Nazis, Anarchists, and weird fetishists setting up camp.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:01 am

sephardic-male wrote:
Feminist Declaration of War Against the Non-Feminist World

http://counterfem.blogspot.ca/2014/04/f ... t-non.html

Quote:
they WILL go after people like Alison Tieman, or people like the Men's Rights Edmonton Group.

They will also go after people like Warren Farrell, or people like Janice Fiamengo.

And let's not forget that many years ago, they went after Erin Pizzey.

Can you answer a few questions please.

1. Which books written by mainstream feminists have you read?
2. Do you really believe that all feminists hold a female supremacist position? I ask because the site you linked seems to.
3. Are you aware that your "Activism" comes off as trollish and anti-woman?

Last edited by Stannis on 10 Apr 2014, 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:02 am

Plenty of Twits on twitter.I never look at it.