Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 9:55 am

First, take a look at this:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=whirlwind

My question is, how do they know so much about whirlwinds when they are in the middle east. Israel is not renown for its whirlwinds, right? So how do they know? They sound more like they are seeing this part of the US, not the middle east.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 10:19 am

There are many different types of storms and wind currents that can cause this phenomenon. Tornadoes, hurricanes, dust and sand storms, open ocean gales, opposing weather fronts and shifting wind patterns, etc.

The term whirlwind can mean many things.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

The way it's described in the Bible sounds like a powerful tornado. If you read the page I linked, you can see it's not just a gale but a strong, forceful, destructive event.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm

I could take it to mean a figure of speech. It's just putting two words together to convey a message. To me, a whirlwind can also mean confusion in the mind. The Bible is full of metaphors, ambiguities and contradictions. I don't take any of it seriously.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:24 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The way it's described in the Bible sounds like a powerful tornado. If you read the page I linked, you can see it's not just a gale but a strong, forceful, destructive event.

I did read the page. All of the things listed can be destructive.

And BTW, tornadoes do happen in the Middle East, no matter what some internet pages tell you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:16 pm

It's hard to imagine a powerful tornado happening there! I swear it's like those Bible writers could see the big tornadoes on the southern plains and southlands of the US.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

Just Kansas style dust devils. Harmless cousins of tornadoes. Thats all theyre talking about.

Oh..

Except the first two things from Kings: chariots with flames- taking a guy up to Heaven in a whirlwind. Thats obviously a space craft.

Im not sayin' its aliens.

But..

Its aliens!

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

Yes, deserts have dust devils and you can see water spouts on the sea.

Yahweh, being in part a classic storm and sky god, naturally uses that kind of imagery. He's the "rider on the clouds", like Baal. And like other sky gods he battles the sea dragons, like Baal and Marduk and others.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:31 pm

It sounds to me like, if that's the case, they are seeing tornadoes in other lands, not theirs.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Just Kansas style dust devils. Harmless cousins of tornadoes. Thats all theyre talking about.

Oh..

Except the first two things from Kings: chariots with flames- taking a guy up to Heaven in a whirlwind. Thats obviously a space craft.

But..

Its aliens!

If Elijah was taken by a dust devil, then he probably went to hell. If it was a Kansas dust devil, then he probably went to Oz.

or aliens.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm

I see some of these Christian broadcasting networks talk about this biblical stuff and they pull out a picture of an Apache attack helicopter and say that is what the bible was predicting. Or some cop walking around in full riot gear with gas mask and stuff and somehow that is a prophesy from the Bible. These people are fruitier than characters on cereal boxes.

Come to think of it, TV evangelists think the characters on cereal boxes are Satan in drag.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

Cash__ wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Oh..

But..

Its aliens!

If Elijah was taken by a dust devil, then he probably went to hell. If it was a Kansas dust devil, then he probably went to Oz.

or aliens.

Sandblasted with a billion tiny objects to Oz more like. We won't be selling tickets for rides on tornadoes anytime soon.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

You can't even enjoy a nice eclipse without some fanatic saying it heralds the end of days.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... d/7694331/

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 6:18 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You can't even enjoy a nice eclipse without some fanatic saying it heralds the end of days.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... d/7694331/

Sounds like something Michelle Bachman will be jumping into

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 6:47 pm

khaoz wrote:
I see some of these Christian broadcasting networks talk about this biblical stuff and they pull out a picture of an Apache attack helicopter and say that is what the bible was predicting. Or some cop walking around in full riot gear with gas mask and stuff and somehow that is a prophesy from the Bible. These people are fruitier than characters on cereal boxes.

Come to think of it, TV evangelists think the characters on cereal boxes are Satan in drag.

:lol: so funny and true

It is never wise to see prophecy in allegory.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 6:58 pm

Some of it is prophecy. But it's prophecy relevant to the world of the Israelites ~2,500 years ago. Some was believed to be written after the facts of a known event and other prophecies just plain failed. Pulling verses out of context to predict today's events is just fruity. These people essentially worship the bible and find secret messages in it.