naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 3:25 am

salamandaqwerty wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So you're saying that one man's space alien is another man's 'demon' or something. Putting aside whether alien visitor actually exist or not- whatever it is that folks TAKE to be aliens and UFOs- are conceptualized by Fundies as being demons from Satan out to decieve us. Including to delude us into thinking that they (the demons themelves) are space aliens.

Am I getting close to understanding?

Yes. It edifies their end-times beliefs in precisely that manner.

Were finnally getting somewhere.

Okay..

The problem is that you cram all of your aspie-obsession knowledge of the occult into your posts, and then forget to drop the other shoe and actually make your points (you head toward a point but fail to state it).

So... are you a Fundie yourself (ie agree with this pov)? Are you a New Ager? Or are you just reporting on what both Fundies, and New Agers think as an outsider. Or what?

I cant figure out from your posts whether you think aliens visitors exist- and that they are indeed aliens, or if you're a Fundie (who thinks that they exist, but that they are demons from Satan), or a skeptic who doubts both of the above, or WHAT you're on about.

Ofcourse maybe that IS your point! That you're undecided. Lol!

I give naturaplastic a ticket for self righteous bullying

I confess.

I am a recovering journalism student, and have gotten into trouble in the past for treating fellow posters like they work for me in a newsroom- go into Rambo mode- and machine gun them for not writing snappy leads, or good headlines, or not getting to the point. But I think Ive gotten that impulse under control now.

I apologize to T if he thinks Im beating up on him.

But I dont see it.

Im just trying to follow what he is saying.

If it upsets you then help me out.

What IS T saying?

Does he believe in ETs or not?

Apparently you get what he is saying better than I do.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 3:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The problem is that you cram all of your aspie-obsession knowledge of the occult into your posts, and then forget to drop the other shoe and actually make your points (you head toward a point but fail to state it).

Really? I'm pretty sure I segregated off exactly what I wanted to talk about which was what fundies thought of the issue.

naturalplastic wrote:
So... are you a Fundie yourself (ie agree with this pov)? Are you a New Ager? Or are you just reporting on what both Fundies, and New Agers think as an outsider. Or what?

That's just plain looking for a way to pin genetic fallacy on someone and bring in an element that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

naturalplastic wrote:
I cant figure out from your posts whether you think aliens visitors exist- and that they are indeed aliens, or if you're a Fundie (who thinks that they exist, but that they are demons from Satan), or a skeptic who doubts both of the above, or WHAT you're on about.

I don't really veil what I think. The only communication problems I generally run into is when people can't pigeon-hole me and are really that lazy to ask me to volunteer the work for them.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 3:36 am

What does it matter?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio - and all that stuff
Why should he tell you? If he told you something you didn't agree with would you ridicule him?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 3:43 am

salamandaqwerty wrote:
Why should he tell you? If he told you something you didn't agree with would you ridicule him?

This reminds me of a Korean lady that my friend had me doing bible-study with. She'd been in the US for 30 years but still loved to raise the language barrier and play dumb-literal to control conversations in her favor. If I had an advanced comment or question or asked anything that was beyond her specific viewpoint she'd keep playing that game and try to route me down into essentially fitting myself into a negative box or essentially telling her I was wrong or "I want to be bad! I want to drink, party, live sinful life!" - beyond that my English wasn't working for her.

Sometimes anti-theists play the same game and it's a 'You're dumb enough to respond to my questions and I'll keep chasing you with a role of tinfoil until you take a sheet, mold a hat out of it, and put it on your head with your own words'. That might not be what naturalplastic is doing right now but it's been a pretty consistent pattern in his past behavior - ie. if whatever I said didn't make me look ridiculous enough to fit his needs he'd just keep prying into me with the same line of questioning seemingly in hopes that if I rephrased it enough times I'd cough up what was needed to paint my own caricature.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 3:51 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
salamandaqwerty wrote:

This reminds me of a Korean lady that my friend had me doing bible-study with. She'd been in the US for 30 years but still loved to raise the language barrier and play dumb-literal to control conversations in her favor. If I had an advanced comment or question or asked anything that was beyond her specific viewpoint she'd keep playing that game and try to route me down into essentially fitting myself into a negative box or essentially telling her I was wrong or "I want to be bad! I want to drink, party, live sinful life!" - beyond that my English wasn't working for her.

Sometimes anti-theists play the same game and it's a 'You're dumb enough to respond to my questions and I'll keep chasing you with a role of tinfoil until you take a sheet, mold a hat out of it, and put it on your head with your own words'. That might not be what naturalplastic is doing right now but it's been a pretty consistent pattern in his past behavior - ie. if whatever I said didn't make me look ridiculous enough to fit his needs he'd just keep prying into me with the same line of questioning seemingly in hopes that if I rephrased it enough times I'd cough up what was needed to paint my own caricature.

Spot on! :lol:
Take a look in the mirror naturalplastic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 4:27 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Really? I'm pretty sure I segregated off exactly what I wanted to talk about which was what fundies thought of the issue.

naturalplastic wrote:

That's just plain looking for a way to pin genetic fallacy on someone and bring in an element that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

naturalplastic wrote:

I don't really veil what I think. The only communication problems I generally run into is when people can't pigeon-hole me and are really that lazy to ask me to volunteer the work for them.

Awww...I'm making him do work!

Poor baby!

And why do I do it?

Because unlike everyone else here- I actually give a damn about trying to understand what he is trying to say!

How cruel of me!

I apologize to you T for the crime of actually listening to you!

I didnt know that being nice to someone, and taking them seriously is being a bully!

Well mea culpa!

Jeeze!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 4:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Ofcourse maybe that IS your point! That you're undecided. Lol!

Alright, let me try this out...

We live on a super-string that's in the bottom of a hillbilly's spittoon. That super-super string is planted firmly between a horse's asscheaks.

Just my shot at humor - I probably can't speak whatever dialect of public school education is native to you.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 8:42 am

khaoz wrote:
Do you believe there are aliens from other planets, solar systems or even universes that are aware of our existence? Do you believe we are being observed by life from space? Or by aliens on earth that we are not aware of? Why do people on earth have this idea or concept that any alien must resemble human beings, even in the slightest ways, such as having limbs, or visable sensory intake sources, similar to our eyes, ears and nose. Would aliens necessarily have to need some form of nutritional intake similar to ours in order to survive?

I believe life exists on other planets in our galaxy. In all the galaxies (100 billion at least) I would find it hard to believe that life has not emerged from non-life several times since the Big Bang.

However, hard as we try we have not detected intelligent life in our own galaxy. Why should the hypothetical beings on on other planets going around other suns be aware of us?

ruveyn

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

I can't say that I have ever seen an alien from outer space, but if I ever do I'll be sure to report it.

Or at least get a selfie with it.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

Within the next 20 years I'm pretty certain we'll find life in our solar system, at Europa specifically. I haven't taken statistics in a long time, but if there is indeed microbial life on Europa I'd say it's very probable that in 4 billion years there's been at least one occasion in which an asteroid hit Europa and ejected material towards earth that carried extraterrestrial microbes. Thus yes, we have had extraterrestrial visitors, just not highly evolved ones.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

Europa is too cold for microbial, single-cellular life to reproduce (and so is everywhere else where the temperature is constantly below -20 degrees celcius). This is why freezers preserve food so well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

A Hillbilly Spittoon?You mean an empty coke can.Or the ground.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade
can survive -273c or being boiled
who knows what else could be out there

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

Isn't it possible that all life here started out as an"alien" life form?Couldnt bacteria travel on an asteroid and be implanted here.Sort of like the asteroid is the sperm and the earth an egg.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Isn't it possible that all life here started out as an"alien" life form?Couldnt bacteria travel on an asteroid and be implanted here.Sort of like the asteroid is the sperm and the earth an egg.

Thats a longstanding notion called "panspermia".

Life may have formed in space itsself, or on other planets, and spread to here. Perhaps from other star systems. Maybe even from within our own solar system. Spreading via asteroids and comets.

Life might actually have started on mars. A martian volcano, or an asteroid hit on the martian surface, coughed up boulders and sent them flying into space. Said rocks hit earth and spread the microbes here. Then Mars gradually lost its atmosphere, and got inhospiitable, and finnally got sterile. LIfe continued on earth and evolved into us.

Or maybe some saucer flying astronauts from another star system dropped by three billion years ago, had a picnic, left. And the bacteria on their discarded hostess twinkie wrappers multiplied and thier descendents evolved and adapted to this planet. And here we are.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:56 pm

If they left garbage,well,shame on them.Damm litterbugs.