Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 8:35 pm

From the older book Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World, Kevin Kelly (then executive editor of Wired), 1994:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_NTVO ... 22&f=false

An audience of 5,000 persons with wands red on one side and green on the other, who had the feedback of a large video map at the front of the room, could play the game Pong and could write numbers on the large video map with relative ease.

But they had a hard time landing an airplane on a flight simulator because the feedback was delayed.

And I think this applies to a number of real world situations, especially such economic goals as job creation, GNP growth, building a middle class.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 2:49 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
From the older book Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World, Kevin Kelly (then executive editor of Wired), 1994:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_NTVO ... 22&f=false

An audience of 5,000 persons with wands red on one side and green on the other, who had the feedback of a large video map at the front of the room, could play the game Pong and could write numbers on the large video map with relative ease.

But they had a hard time landing an airplane on a flight simulator because the feedback was delayed.

And I think this applies to a number of real world situations, especially such economic goals as job creation, GNP growth, building a middle class.

Right. Every business (or other) plan must make allowances and strive for current information.

Alternatively you might want to devise algorithms to take up the slack when no other means exist (i.e. Mars rovers, etc.) or arrange plans B, C, and D so contingency measures can be adopted rapidly.

denny

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 5:01 pm

Okay, that'll be another way to look at it, from the point of view of the individual business. Please remember, 80% of new businesses fail (8 out of 10). I bring that up because I think people should be aware of what they're getting into. Please think in terms of a service business which can be started relatively inexpensively and run out of the home or car.

I mainly had in mind politics and governmental policy. For example, following the economic crisis in 2008, a lot of people thought cutting government spending was the way to go. And they believed this strongly, even though I think mainstream economic thought comes down on the side of Keynesian economics.

So what I'm getting at, instead of big complex all-at-once theory, let's take a medium step, observe feedback, another medium step, observe more feedback, etc.