Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 3:32 pm

A Minnesota Women's clinic:

"Patients at the Park Nicollet Women’s Center, which cost $4.9 million to construct, may experience more of a luxury hotel vibe than a sterile hospital setting. The main waiting room is sleek and filled with natural light. Patients are offered a complimentary beverage and they can check out iPads at the front desk for Web surfing. And the robes they don later in their visit are purposely soft, distinctly un-scratchy, and provide ample coverage."

They also said: “We want patients to come here and experience a spa-like environment[.]"

"The trend dovetails with the advent of the Affordable Care Act, which will add more than 25 million people to insurance rolls by 2016."

"The 27,000-square-foot penthouse space [...] overlooks Minnehaha Creek and its wooded environs."

(http://www.startribune.com/business/256789441.html)

Edit: This isn't a 'women's clinic' like Planned Parenthood. It's a botique specialty center.

Last edited by NobodyKnows on 28 Apr 2014, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

trollin' trollin' trollin', keep those doggies trollin'! :lol:

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

And what does this medical establishment have to do with Obamacare? Do you think they will open their arms to Medicaid or even Medicare patients? Are you trying to imply that Obamacare has paid for this clinic? I think you need to do a little more investigating about this place before you jump to any preconceived ideas.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

I don't see what point the OP is trying to make (if any) but I don't see it as trolling, either.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:58 pm

The point is pretty simple: guys should feel comfortable asking for the same level of service. Being a guy doesn't require you to be a masochist. You're already paying for this stuff, so enjoy it :)

khaoz: What would you like me to investigate? If you look at the article, the ACA tie-in is made by the reporter. I quoted it because drawing that connection between a luxury service and a program for the uninsured seemed odd. (Besides, the only way that it could 'dovetail' is if they expected to get some more people because of the ACA. How else would you read it?) I know a lot of people who work at that clinic, so I'd be happy to look into anything you'd like.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 6:03 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
The point is pretty simple: guys should feel comfortable asking for the same level of service. Being a guy doesn't require you to be a masochist. You're already paying for this stuff, so enjoy it :)

I have no problem with good customer service in any type of service and I don't see what it has to do with masochism. Having said that, medicine is not the kind of thing I ever want to enjoy and I avoid it like the plague. That's just me, though.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:

khaoz: What would you like me to investigate? If you look at the article, the ACA tie-in is made by the reporter. I quoted it because drawing that connection between a luxury service and a program for the uninsured seemed odd. (Besides, the only way that it could 'dovetail' is if they expected to get some more people because of the ACA. How else would you read it?) I know a lot of people who work at that clinic, so I'd be happy to look into anything you'd like.

I think the unorthodox usage of the term "dovetail" threw me for a loop. Otherwise, this looks to me like a positive project

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 7:04 pm

"A woman had a good thing happen to her! I will not rest until a man has a good thing happen to him to balance it out! And if a bad thing happens to a man, then one too must happen to a woman! This is my vacuous understanding of 'equality'".

NobodyKnows - by any chance, when young (and maybe even now), did you always have to have the same number and value of christmas and/or birthday etc presents as your siblings?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 8:24 pm

A few years back I took my iguana to a reptile vet in Springfeild,Mo.To say this vet clinic was nicer than the family practice that I go to would be an understatement.A huge waiting room overlooking a park with a pond,giant glass walls and huge plants in it.It also had a price tag to go with it.
http://www.bpvh.vetsuite.com/Templates/Clean.aspx

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 8:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
A few years back I took my iguana to a reptile vet in Springfeild,Mo.To say this vet clinic was nicer than the family practice that I go to would be an understatement.A huge waiting room overlooking a park with a pond,giant glass walls and huge plants in it.It also had a price tag to go with it.
http://www.bpvh.vetsuite.com/Templates/Clean.aspx

Some people take better care of their pets than some other people take care of their own kids. Pets are family members. I paid $800 twice to dig golf balls out of my labrador retriever. He didnt learn the first time. Must be better than milk bones. He never would eat those things.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 11:02 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:

No, the company that constructed the facility paid to construct all of this. Communal robes and iPads sound like a great way to spread around fun bacteria, though. THANKS OBAMA.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 11:20 pm

Hopefully the robes are laundered after each use and Lysol sprayed on the iPads.I don't see how it would be riskier that touching the ancient magazines in most doctor's offices.Has anyone ever tested doctor office magazines to see the viral load?I bet Highlights magazine(if it still exists) would be swarming with germs from all the kids looking at them with snotty hands.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 1:08 am

Raptor wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

I have no problem with good customer service in any type of service and I don't see what it has to do with masochism. Having said that, medicine is not the kind of thing I ever want to enjoy and I avoid it like the plague. That's just me, though.

Why should a guy who pays the same rate have to go to a crumby clinic and be prodded around by surly staff? Should I sit at the back of the bus, too?

Hopper wrote:
"A woman had a good thing happen to her! I will not rest until a man has a good thing happen to him to balance it out! And if a bad thing happens to a man, then one too must happen to a woman! This is my vacuous understanding of 'equality'".

That would apply much better to your side of the debate. We have quite a few laws on the books that exist because a small minority of men got to do something, and women's groups demanded laws to make sure that exactly the same number of women get to do it. Not many men ever get to compete in a varsity sport, but women's groups didn't rest until Title IX made sure that an equally tiny number of women do.

Quote:
NobodyKnows - by any chance, when young (and maybe even now), did you always have to have the same number and value of christmas and/or birthday etc presents as your siblings?

In a word, no. As I've already written elsewhere, my mother was a man hating feminist.

TheGoggles wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

No, the company that constructed the facility paid to construct all of this.

No, I paid for it. I go to their hospital because it's the only one close by, and I know perfectly well that they don't have anything even close in their co-ed clinics.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:26 am

NobodyKnows wrote:

^this has nothing to do with the ACA. The Cleveland Clinic has constructed luxury suites for patients long before this for the most affluent. There is a reason that some of the wealthiest people in the world show up to Ohio for treatment. The ultra-rich like to be treated like they are ultra-rich.

Insurance isn't going to cover enough to make this affordable for very many people who aren't clearing a 7 figure income every year. There is some serious money to be made by making the wealthy feel even more superior.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 8:06 am

NobodyKnows wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

Why should a guy who pays the same rate have to go to a crumby clinic and be prodded around by surly staff? Should I sit at the back of the bus, too?

Where are you getting this from? I didn't say that I guy should pay the same and go to a crumby clinic.