Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:56 pm

Hopper wrote:
It depends on readiness and distance, obviously. I have in mind a situation where the weapon is raised at me but there's a stand-off of a good few feet. Up close, if someone is able to shoot me by surprise, they're able to stab me by surprise.

The problem is you're not comparing apples to apples. People with guns don't walk around with them in our hands raised in front of us, and people with knives don't walk around with them ready to stab people either. You recognize that for a knife wielder, but when you think about someone with a gun you've already fast-forwarded through to the point that they're ready to shoot you. When you start from the same starting point, it takes roughly the same amount of time to get from that starting point to where they're killing someone in most cases.

Quote:
I was actually trying to establish the different psychology at work here, wondering what it would be like to live in that kind of psychological state. I haven't threatened to take anyone's weapons away. I think you make a good point that the US is simply awash in guns - the horse has long bolted and is on its merry way.

I've been to the UK, and I've been other places in the world, and the big societal difference seems to be that in other parts of the world people assume that if you have a gun you are a criminal. There are places here where that holds true as well - I was detained at gunpoint in New York City and nearly arrested just because I was wearing an empty holster on my belt. It seems to me that the places where gun laws are more strict is where people develop this attitude.

When I'm in an area that allows me to carry, people tend not to care. I think people either assume I'm an off-duty police officer, or they just don't care at all.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 9:19 pm

billiscool wrote:
Ok,I can understand someone working at 7-11
or someone living a dangerous area to carry
a gun with them.Why do people in safe
area need to carry gun with them.I think
alot of pro gun people are people with big ego
and trying to ''stick to the man''
it's like ''ha,ha look at me I got a gun,
take that government,second amendment,
yeah guns''

Do you think the people from the unsafe areas stay in those safe areas?

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 9:31 pm

Frankly, I think a lot of us just like shooting targets because it's fun.

To the extent that it's political, remember a few things: A lot of Americans came here to escape state violence. The German immigrants often got on a boat when one of their sons was nearing draft age. (Would you have wanted to your sons to fight for Marshal Blucher?) The Irish came for obvious reasons. We also have a lot of religious minorities, including descendants of some of the earliest settlers.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 9:52 pm

Stannis wrote:
This is riveting to listen to. If you live in a violent place, why not try finding out why people are doing stuff like this, and then try turning your culture into one in which people are kind to each other and you don't have to worry constantly about being murdered. It's never going to change if the only way people respond to it is by getting armed to the teeth and developing a siege mentality.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk0aqyMltRA[/youtube]

I didnt feel like sitting through the whole Youtube video so I found one news report (there are others). Just from that it appears that his elevator doesn't go all the way to the top and I don't think that .22 pistol took control of his mind.
I don't know where this "siege mentality" thing you're talking about comes from. I certainly don't have that mentality.

Quote:
Jake Evans, 17, called 911 to say that he shot and killed his mother and sister with a .22 revolver in the family's Aledo, Texas, home.

"I am pretty, I guess, evil...whatever," he told the police dispatcher, during the 911 call around 12:30 a.m. on Friday.
When asked why he killed his mother Jamie, 48, and sister Mallory, 15, Jake explained that he was not even particularly mad at them.
"I don't know…it's weird," Jake said. "I wasn't even really angry with them. It just kind of happened. I've been kind of planning on killing for a while now."

But he did eventually stumble through a confused explanation of his motive. "I don't really like people's attitude (sic). They're … verbally rude to each other and stuff like that," the homeschooled teenager said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/jake-evans-tells-911-shot-killed-mother-sister-article-1.1176304

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 11:14 pm

Some people are pretty immature and stupid about guns, which is an issue. But guns aren't a problem when people respect them as dangerous killing machines. I am not an anti gun person or a pro gun person. Ideally it would be nice to live in a world with no guns or weapons due to there being no need for them, but that is not the sort of world we live in.

I do not own a gun, I have shot a gun with some cousins out in northern minnesota at targets which where a string of christmas lights that didn't work so very small and from a distance and I actually did quite well...and I thought it was fun but I still do not want a gun. And even in a peaceful area where one does not need to carry a gun on them I could see why people in such areas still might own them as perhaps they hunt or go to legal shooting ranges also though even if you think an area is 'peaceful' sometimes its dangerous to assume something bad couldn't happen like when the shooting happened at my school a lot of peoples reactions where 'I never thought this could happen in a small town like this'... I also don't have an issue with hunting provided they are hunting to get fresh meat not to be like 'I shot a bigger elk than you did!! !! !! !! !! !!!11111111' and don't even use the meat and just take dismembered animal heads to hang up to brag about I do disagree with that.

I think there should be realistic regulations on guns but in some situations they can be useful to have...perhaps if someone had a gun they where licensed to have in my school perhaps the ass with the gun could have been taken down before killing anyone. But schools are gun free zones....not saying everyone should be carrying around guns at school but in that situation it might have helped. People might say well duh call the cops, well the cops were too late.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 11:42 pm

What school?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 12:07 am

NobodyKnows wrote:
What school?

Should have been in the news a while back in 2006, perhaps Platte canyon highschool in Bailey colorado rings a bell....can look it up if you want but I cant go into any more detail about the exact events right now, due to PTSD from the incident and having already been feeling a bit anxious today.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 1:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
billiscool wrote:
Ok,I can understand someone working at 7-11
or someone living a dangerous area to carry
a gun with them.Why do people in safe
area need to carry gun with them.I think
alot of pro gun people are people with big ego
and trying to ''stick to the man''
it's like ''ha,ha look at me I got a gun,
take that government,second amendment,
yeah guns''

I'll try and keep this short and simple. Do you own a fire extinguisher? A first aid kit? Perhaps a spare tire? Does owning any of the items I mentioned make someone "paranoid", or imply that they're looking to encounter a fire, be injured, or damage their tires, respectively? Further, does the person who owns such precautionary devices know when they're going to need them, or do they keep them where they're most likely to be used, when they're most likely to be useful?

My carry gun is about as small as my cellphone, about the same thickness of my wallet, and weighs so little that I often forget it's there; there is literally no reason not to carry it, as it does not inconvenience me in any way and offers significant advantages in a handful of very rare scenarios. I'd ask you to construct an intelligent argument as to how carrying a concealed handgun that no one is aware of is an egocentric, "stick it to the man" move in any way, but I
don't think that's really going to be forthcoming in this case.

My Lord! The twins of terror are in disunity! :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 2:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

What are you even talking about? IIRC, I've defended BIC from a series of unfair attacks in one thread, same as I do for anyone who's being mischaracterized, seeing as how it's a pet peeve of mine. Then again, mischaracterizing seems to be your hobby, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
01001011 wrote:
These people cannot separate the fantasy in movies and games and reality.

Says the guy who's claiming to know what other people think...

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6027766.html

Dox47 wrote:
The charts definitely reflect the shift from what we call gun culture 1.0 to gun culture 2.0, the major difference being that 1.0 hunts and is likely to have gotten into firearms through family tradition, where as 2.0 is more interested in "tactical" type stuff like pistols and semi auto rifles, and may have gotten into guns through video games and other media. You do see some crossover from 2.0 to 1.0 as younger people take up hunting, often for more "foody" type reasons than previous generations did (think of how trendy foraging has gotten), where as it's rarer to see it go the other way, with many older hunters making up the group referred to as "Fudds", who incidentally are likely the NRA members who support background checks. It's commonly accepted in the gun worlds that a lot of older hunters don't particularly care about handguns and AR-15s, and tend to see them as possible sacrificial lambs in the political battles, thinking that giving them up will appease the anti-gun forces and let them keep their shotguns and bolt action rifles.

Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:27 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
It is exactly this mechanism that I am counting on when I choose to carry. Why would a criminal who is motivated by economic factors even choose a target that he knows is just as well armed as himself, when it is far easier to simply go elsewhere and choose another target.

Does it sound a little selfish to simply transfer the risk to other people AND making them facing deadlier criminals?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:44 am

01001011 wrote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
It is exactly this mechanism that I am counting on when I choose to carry. Why would a criminal who is motivated by economic factors even choose a target that he knows is just as well armed as himself, when it is far easier to simply go elsewhere and choose another target.

Does it sound a little selfish to simply transfer the risk to other people AND making them facing deadlier criminals?

Well to be entirely honest I am not so sure I'd prefer to be killed by someone so some other person I don't even know is spared...on account of not being selfish. Though I don't have gun, which means more likely I'd be the other target chosen then again don't see what anyone would want from my house that they would bother with a violent robbery so not much of a target I suppose.

Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:51 am

^^
I mean emotionally it is natural to be selfish. But as an argument? I don't see how any non-gun owner (70%+ of Americans do not own a gun) would agree with that policy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What are you even talking about? IIRC, I've defended BIC from a series of unfair attacks in one thread, same as I do for anyone who's being mischaracterized, seeing as how it's a pet peeve of mine. Then again, mischaracterizing seems to be your hobby, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Just seemed to me you two had been thick as thieves.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 8:55 am

Stannis wrote:
This is riveting to listen to. If you live in a violent place, why not try finding out why people are doing stuff like this, and then try turning your culture into one in which people are kind to each other and you don't have to worry constantly about being murdered. It's never going to change if the only way people respond to it is by getting armed to the teeth and developing a siege mentality.

A naive viewpoint.

First, culture is the way to solve a lot of problems, but it take a generation or longer to see the results. The forces promoting rampant crime in America have been at work for some time, and the efforts to change the culture are weak at best. Until then, the deterrence of force is what you have to work with.

Second, culture IS NOT going to work on everyone. Most criminals are cowards. They seek out crimes of opportunity. They want low risk. Heck, many of them would rather steal your lawn mower and pawn it for quick money than go out and work an eight-hour job for a paycheck. Other criminals want to do violent things, and the only real solution is 150 grains of lead going 1,500 fps into their forehead.

Add in that law enforcement cannot be everywhere, rarely is where they are needed when they are needed, and are even to evade even if they are trying to proactively stop crime from happening, and you are the only person truly able to protect yourself and your family when the time arises.

There is a joke that goes, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." It's simply the truth. The best 911 response times won't help you in the here and now, and even 5 minutes (considered exceptional) is an eternity if your life is in peril.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 10:26 am

01001011 wrote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:

Does it sound a little selfish to simply transfer the risk to other people AND making (sic) them facing deadlier criminals?

Yeah! Get back in line with the clueless and cowardly like the rest. How dare you think to improve your life. Not THAT line dummy.....that's for rich people......get over in the serf line where you belong.

No thanks.