Steel band packs up after they find out its a UKIP event

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Eyewitness Louis Sealey said: "Steel drummer refuses to play at the UKIP Carnival because he says UKIP is a racist party. You couldn't make it up."

Good on them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... ft-3576148

My deviant art profile

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 5:49 pm

Fantastic. Didn't they just steal the idea from the 'I hear you're a racist now, Father' episode of Father Ted, though? Where Ted tries to smooth things over with his celebration of the ethnic diversity of Craggy Island?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 9:48 pm

Hopper wrote:
Fantastic. Didn't they just steal the idea from the 'I hear you're a racist now, Father' episode of Father Ted, though? Where Ted tries to smooth things over with his celebration of the ethnic diversity of Craggy Island?

Just had a mental image of Nigel Farage hosting a 'Romanian celebration evening' down the pub in a half arsed attempt to smooth things over with the Romanian community after alienating them.

My deviant art profile

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 10:18 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

Just had a mental image of Nigel Farage hosting a 'Romanian celebration evening' down the pub in a half arsed attempt to smooth things over with the Romanian community after alienating them.

He can skip that, they're not going to vote for him anyway.
Reminds me a bit of our own eurosceptics with their rhetoric against people from Eastern Europe. They even created a hotline where you could rat out misbehaving people from Eastern Europe. Targeted mainly against Polish people... quite horrible and ridiculous.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 2:22 am

thomas81 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

You'd actually be surprised how positive some Romanians are towards us. The woman on the TV last night, for example.

I personally like Romanians. Their accent is wonderful and many have been so friendly to me. Their country deserves a round of applause for how they dealt with Ceaușescu, for example.

A member of our tiny branch is a Romanian national - note, not of Romanian descent, but an actual Romanian immigrant.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 2:23 am

trollcatman wrote:
Reminds me a bit of our own eurosceptics with their rhetoric against people from Eastern Europe. They even created a hotline where you could rat out misbehaving people from Eastern Europe. Targeted mainly against Polish people... quite horrible and ridiculous.

I would vote for the PVV, definitely. UKIP are the next best thing.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 2:32 am

thomas81 wrote:
Quote:
Eyewitness Louis Sealey said: "Steel drummer refuses to play at the UKIP Carnival because he says UKIP is a racist party. You couldn't make it up."

Good on them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... ft-3576148

Worth noting, though, that Croydon UKIP has an awful lot of black people in it (Jamaicans especially). I'm told that you'd struggle to find a white face in that branch.

What really sticks in your craw is that we're a fairly moderate lot. We're not like the fascists of Greece (which incidentally is split between the far-left and neo-Nazis), Hungary or Austria. Britain has triumphed in that its real protest voice is something that is basically a liberal and tolerant voice.

Actually, Farage didn't turn up to that event:

Quote:
Desperate, farcical Guardian at it again against UKIP
  • A couple of thick Romanian -- if indeed they were Romanian -- "protestors" who wouldn't know a "Nazi" from a fried egg, started causing problems at a rally and Nigel Farage stayed away. That's supposed to be embarrassing to UKIP! (See UPDATE: The "Romanians" were indeed fake)

Right at the top of the front page, just below an "Exclusive" about Syria, guess what the Guardian is running as its most high profile domestic story? No way! Another smear against UKIP?

This is one is frankly pathetic. The headline reads: "Ukip 'carnival' turns farcical." In reality, the only thing farcical is the story itself. The Guardian "thinks" it's an embarrassment for UKIP that Nigel Farage didn't turn up to an event in Croyden. But it turns out that bigots and extremists were hell bent on causing problems for him, possibly threatening his safety.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 11:15 am

Tequila wrote:
Worth noting, though, that Croydon UKIP has an awful lot of black people in it (Jamaicans especially). I'm told that you'd struggle to find a white face in that branch.

What really sticks in your craw is that we're a fairly moderate lot. We're not like the fascists of Greece (which incidentally is split between the far-left and neo-Nazis), Hungary or Austria. Britain has triumphed in that its real protest voice is something that is basically a liberal and tolerant voice.

Its wrong to think that having black membership disqualifies a party from having racist causes. Looking at UKIP propaganda thus far a significant proportion of it has orientated around playing on public anxiety surrounding non-white immigration, eastern european immigration and Islam.

I don't think UKIP is a fascist party. I think its an ultra-reactionary right party that jumps on the fence of thought between the BNP and people who wouldn't otherwise vote for the BNP for no other reason than the fear of being labelled racist. The problem lies in the fact that it tags along to a lot of the BNP sentiment and creates a mechanism of normalising the sort of racism that wouldn't otherwise be accepted had it come from Nick Griffin's lips.

My deviant art profile