Should Reason, Rationality and Logic Be the End all Be all?

Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 5:56 am

Dox47 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
It doesn't matter if it logically exists or not. That's your interpretation. The women FEEL that it does. I want them to feel safe because I feel empathy for them. I know what it is like to not feel safe especially when going to school. I'm purposely choosing to use my emotional side and my empathy to conclude that I agree with them.

I was going through point by point, but then I saw this and realized I could save a lot of time.

I FEEL that the accusations of rampant sexism on this board unjustly accuse the men of Wrong Planet of bigotry, and that makes me feel unsafe and unwelcome here. I think those members making these accusations should be sanctioned, and the rules changed to prohibit similar behavior in the future, so that I and the other male Aspies who come here for support can use the site without having to fear being falsely accused of sexism. (I don't really think this, but bear with me)

My statement above also corresponds to your empathy for people who don't feel safe, and I'm proposing the same remedy as the women in the other thread. Unlike them, I can provide examples of what I'm complaining about, to whit, the thread that you linked to in your OP, so why are they right and I wrong? Don't you want the men of Wrong Planet to feel safe from false and hurtful accusations?

You know what I want you to feel safe and welcome.

I may have an idea that I thought of last night. My opinion is to create a particular sub-forum in which at least some of the wrongplanet rules are not enforced and let it be a mad max, beyond thunder dome, type free for all. Everyone in that sub-forum can say what they want and Alex can put up a warning that this sub-forum is not or less moderated or something to that effect. It would be similar to the fight rooms of the days of yore.

Dox, it would be possible for you to have what you desire which is the free flow of ideas. Would you be cool with this?

StarvingArtist, you would be protected from sexism and others misogyny because it would be disallowed in all other areas. Would you be cool with this?

I think we could have a win-win here. If we could create a win-win would everyone be in favor of this?

What do both of you think? You see Dox, I see emotions as a part of the empirical data. I took the StarvingArtist's feelings on this and your feelings on this and turned this raw data into useful information and came up with a solution. Emotions can be used to make decisions and be made part of the raw data that can be transformed into useful information.

If this idea was implemented would you feel safe now Dox? What do you think? Would you be cool with this?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 24 May 2014, 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:02 am

starvingartist wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
Let's take starvingartist and misogyny, this is all her perception governed by her personal representation of the world.

i make a thread asking other members if they would like to participate in a concerted effort to get the attention of the site creator to change the policy so that sexism is moderated as stringently as racism and other forms of bigotry, and i get told publicly to "get over yourself, dumb b***h." yeah, the misogyny and sexism on this site is totally imaginary, just my perception and not real. :roll:

Here's exactly what I'm talking about, you take your feelings from the past and PROJECT them onto me. I never said you were, I said there's a problem that the small minority of genuine problems is overshadowed by reactionary biases that stem from the poor functioning of the human nervous system. I specifically pointed out how men are oppressed by women's emotional feelings on certain things (aka men can't be teachers, or go near children, etc) because of the double standard that is applied in society.

Misogyny is not a well defined term. You could take anything as "misogynistic" or "sexist", and quite frankly people who rile so easily and become morally indignant usually have serious issues they themselves are not aware of.

I have serious doubts you are mature enough to understand that your nervous system is not the end all and be all of reality. There are serious problems with people thinking they know themselves and 'see the facts'. Human reasoning is often poor and has serious issues. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmi0DLzBdQ

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:14 am

ZakFiend wrote:
Without logic, objectivity, rationality we would have no medicine, no internet, and everything people take for granted. The quest of civilization is to civilize our inner ape. That being said there is some place for our feelings but our primal feelings are dangerous in the sense that 99% of humanity cannot judge the value of their own value judgements and weigh it against the consequences for others. Most people are petty and not qualified to judge much of anything because of the time, education and sense of history required.

Without emotion, feeling and empathy we would be nothing more than cold, thinking machines with no spice to life.

Logic, objectivity, and rationality is necessary but insufficient

Emotion, feeling and empathy is necessary but insufficient.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:38 am

ZakFiend wrote:
Here's exactly what I'm talking about, you take your feelings from the past and PROJECT them onto me. I never said you were, I said there's a problem that the small minority of genuine problems is overshadowed by reactionary biases that stem from the poor functioning of the human nervous system. I specifically pointed out how men are oppressed by women's emotional feelings on certain things (aka men can't be teachers, or go near children, etc) because of the double standard that is applied in society.

Misogyny is not a well defined term. You could take anything as "misogynistic" or "sexist", and quite frankly people who rile so easily and become morally indignant usually have serious issues they themselves are not aware of.

I have serious doubts you are mature enough to understand that your nervous system is not the end all and be all of reality. There are serious problems with people thinking they know themselves and 'see the facts'. Human reasoning is often poor and has serious issues. See here:

How meta.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 11:20 am

ZakFiend wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
Let's take starvingartist and misogyny, this is all her perception governed by her personal representation of the world.

i make a thread asking other members if they would like to participate in a concerted effort to get the attention of the site creator to change the policy so that sexism is moderated as stringently as racism and other forms of bigotry, and i get told publicly to "get over yourself, dumb b***h." yeah, the misogyny and sexism on this site is totally imaginary, just my perception and not real. :roll:

Here's exactly what I'm talking about, you take your feelings from the past and PROJECT them onto me.
I never said you were, I said there's a problem that the small minority of genuine problems is overshadowed by reactionary biases that stem from the poor functioning of the human nervous system. I specifically pointed out how men are oppressed by women's emotional feelings on certain things (aka men can't be teachers, or go near children, etc) because of the double standard that is applied in society.

And here's one half of what I was talking about. Calling someone irrational is a great way to undermine them.

Also, you are being emotional in the sense that you feel attacked but all starvingartist said is that misogyny exists. She never said that you were a misogynist. How can you say her feelings are being projected onto you? She hasn't attacked you personally at all. Where's the projection?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 1:40 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I don't feel (lol) that anyone has ever been sexist to me personally on WP. On the contrary, I find the men to be fun.
Some of the posts, especially in L&D, are a bit generalizing and seem to sometimes stem from anger and frustration. But this is true for both sexes and I think is to be expected.

you haven't experienced it--so it doesn't exist?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 1:55 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
I don't feel (lol) that anyone has ever been sexist to me personally on WP. On the contrary, I find the men to be fun.
Some of the posts, especially in L&D, are a bit generalizing and seem to sometimes stem from anger and frustration. But this is true for both sexes and I think is to be expected.

My guess is that it does, even though I haven't felt it myself. My strategy though is avoidance. If I can see someone is having a rant in L&D I just leave them to it. I've been there, but I dont want to revisit it right now. I guess the nature of a forum is to provide a place for expression. I did see a personal attack on you in another thread which I thought was unacceptable but I don't think it was the result of the femimist issue, but rather a clash of personality.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:13 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

My guess is that it does, even though I haven't felt it myself. My strategy though is avoidance. If I can see someone is having a rant in L&D I just leave them to it. I've been there, but I dont want to revisit it right now. I guess the nature of a forum is to provide a place for expression. I did see a personal attack on you in another thread which I thought was unacceptable but I don't think it was the result of the femimist issue, but rather a clash of personality.

yeah, i'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that i'm a vocal feminist on this site. nothing at all. just my imagination.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:20 pm

I find it's pretty common for people with abrasive personalities to blame other factors for their social clashes, it's a defensive form of cognitive dissonance.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:24 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I find it's pretty common for people with abrasive personalities to blame other factors for their social clashes, it's a defensive form of cognitive dissonance.

that's laughably ironic coming from you. :lol:

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:31 pm

starvingartist wrote:
yeah, i'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that i'm a vocal feminist on this site. nothing at all. just my imagination.

Well, I dont know. But I didn't know you are a vocal feminist either.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:37 pm

starvingartist wrote:

Do you see me blaming things other than myself for people's responses to me? I'm fully aware of what I'm likely to reap when I sow aggressive and confrontational arguments; you seem to prefer the narrative that you're a martyr to feminism, when the truth is that there are many feminists on WP who don't get the responses you do.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

Do you see me blaming things other than myself for people's responses to me? I'm fully aware of what I'm likely to reap when I sow aggressive and confrontational arguments; you seem to prefer the narrative that you're a martyr to feminism, when the truth is that there are many feminists on WP who don't get the responses you do.

they've learned to shut up more effectively than i have, i guess. you won't silence me, try as you might.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:14 pm

starvingartist wrote:
they've learned to shut up more effectively than i have, i guess. you won't silence me, try as you might.

"Silence you"? When have I ever tried to silence you? Is that what you call arguing against you? Not being a mod, I don't have that power, nor have I lobbied for that power to be applied to you. You, on the other hand, have in fact openly attempted to use the mods to silence people who say things you don't like, and are in fact at this very moment attempting a large scale silencing of dissenting voices on WP.
You sure you want to try and bring irony into this discussion? Care to move directly on to projection?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

"Silence you"? When have I ever tried to silence you? Is that what you call arguing against you? Not being a mod, I don't have that power, nor have I lobbied for that power to be applied to you. You, on the other hand, have in fact openly attempted to use the mods to silence people who say things you don't like, and are in fact at this very moment attempting a large scale silencing of dissenting voices on WP.
You sure you want to try and bring irony into this discussion? Care to move directly on to projection?

i am trying to get the policy on this site changed so that sexism is dealt with in the same light as racism and other forms of bigotry. this is not equivalent to "silencing dissenting voices"--it is equivalent to silencing sexist hate speech, as racist hate speech has been silenced on this site previously, and homophobic hate speech has been silenced, etc. as they should be silenced--no one has the right to spew hatred and abuse, that is not covered under free speech and we all know this. my intentions are stated very clearly in my OP.

if you can't say "black people are all gang members" on wrongplanet without getting your comment removed and receiving a warning about why such comments are unacceptable, then you can't say "women are all superficial and only want alpha males that abuse them"--the reason being that both such statements are hateful (and inaccurate) generalisations about historically oppressed/disadvantaged populations.

edit* to add: i meant my OP in "the treatment of women on wrongplanet" thread. forgot momentarily which thread i was posting on.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 4:25 pm

Should sexist posts like this one also be banned:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt231460.html

That particular thread went on for 34 pages without being locked, even though the original post was meaner than most anti-feminist posts that I've seen here.

I recently had one of my threads locked faster than you can make a cup of coffee because the mod thought that it was an example of what you're complaining about. I was comfortable that I'd done my homework and that it was in-bounds:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt258868.html

It seems that they're already doing what you wish fairly zealously.