Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 6:40 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I agree that liberals can be intrusive into others private lives, but conservatives do, also. Such busybodies should be resisted. Our civil liberties are in the Constitution, and no politicians have the right to take them from us.

Its amazing how conservatives in America are fast to whine about their precious "freedumbs"on guns but when it comes to intrusive legislation like the patriot act and online policing they don't give a damn.

It was a liberal president(Obama) who signed those things you mentioned into law. You are not very well clued in are you?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2014, 7:07 pm

RunningFox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I agree that liberals can be intrusive into others private lives, but conservatives do, also. Such busybodies should be resisted. Our civil liberties are in the Constitution, and no politicians have the right to take them from us.

Its amazing how conservatives in America are fast to whine about their precious "freedumbs"on guns but when it comes to intrusive legislation like the patriot act and online policing they don't give a damn.

It was a liberal president(Obama) who signed those things you mentioned into law. You are not very well clued in are you?

The PATRIOT Act was signed into law by George W. Bush. Obama extended it. It is generally advisable to ensure that you are well informed before you accuse others of not being so.

Regardless, how can you describe Obama as "liberal"? Economically, maybe, and I guess he has some progressive ideas that could be described as liberal, but when it comes to civil liberties he's as illiberal as they come.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2014, 7:41 pm

Guns have a long history in America. In the early days of our Republic every man was expected to own a firearm. The men were part of local militias that met regularly for training. Also, many people hunted game. Obviously, firearms now are more lethal than muskets. Some people are simply collectors. Others hunt. Some enjoy target practice.
The cost of handguns is considerable. I have seen new handguns cost between $300 to $800. Ammo can be very expensive. I own an M14 rifle. 20 rounds of 30.06 ammo costs around $30. That's not much ammo for a semiautomatic rifle. I may add those are Walmart prices. A new AR15 rifle can cost upwards to $2000. Home made ammo is becoming popular rather than store bought bullets.
A number of shootings are accidental, usually due to carelessness. Some people leave them where children can get them. Others fail to check their guns for a round left in the chamber.
In basic training we trained on the M16 for weeks before we were taken to the firing range. I learned that rifle inside and out. Safety is paramount. The M16 for its size is a very powerful rifle.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Regardless, how can you describe Obama as "liberal"? Economically, maybe, and I guess he has some progressive ideas that could be described as liberal, but when it comes to civil liberties he's as illiberal as they come.

Shhh, don't tell the liberals, they've successfully deluded themselves on that point for years, and I'd hate to see all that hard work be for nothing.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:11 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Spend more time focusing on domestic issues and you'll hear loads of stupider ideas :P

No doubt, but that doesn't make the idea of rounding off kitchen knives to make them harder to stab with any less dumb; you'd think the people proposing these things had never seen a prison shank.

The_Walrus wrote:
You and your "violent crime"... you know damned well that isn't the point. Not all violent crimes are equivalent.

So, if preventing violent crime isn't the point, than what is? Doubtlessly you'll come back with something about reducing the severity of that that does occur, so I'll save you the time by pointing out that my position is and has always been that violent crime is best tackled by attacking the root causes, poverty, desperation, and honor culture, rather than treating everyone like they're mental patients that can't be trusted with sharp objects. You want to put everyone in a rubber room, I want to cure the insanity.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 8:32 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
RunningFox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Danimal wrote:

The PATRIOT Act was signed into law by George W. Bush. Obama extended it. It is generally advisable to ensure that you are well informed before you accuse others of not being so.

Yes I know it was thank you. It was reauthorized by Obama, it wouldnt be law if he had not done that. So because it was initially signed by Bush means that Obama did not also do it? My statement did not exclude the point that Bushed signed it, it just didnt mention it. You liberals are so touch touchy, the false right left paradigm BS has got you guys by the balls. Same is true of conservatives to an extent as well tho.

Dont say hes not liberal, he liberally smears UAV bombs on little kids all the time! The double tap attacks are the best, the ones where they strike once and then again an hour later when people come to rescue the survivors, Obama has been very liberal about dispensing those.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

RunningFox wrote:
Dont say hes not liberal, he liberally smears UAV bombs on little kids all the time! The double tap attacks are the best, the ones where they strike once and then again an hour later when people come to rescue the survivors, Obama has been very liberal about dispensing those.

It's important to remember that with liberals war mongering is only war mongering when a republican is doing it. When it's their man their respond with a shrug and a "so what?".

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 12:56 am

The_Walrus wrote:
sly279 wrote:

during the 2013 anti gun attempt , i remember reading a article from the uk, they were trying to ban kitchen knifes since they are solely used to stab people,

Source or it didn't happen.

We're "banning" carrying knives, because it's a great way of getting yourself stabbed. Again, common sense exceptions exist. I am completely unaware of any attempt to outright ban the sale of kitchen knives.

someone else already posted it . may I ask do you keep a copy of every freaking article you read? how?

I read so many articles, I read them then close them, how am I expected to keep a record of every article that i'be read in my 26 years of lie, I'd have to have several storage units full,

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 6:35 pm

billiscool wrote:
knife kill people too.How come Liberal
don't want to ban knifes.

Because firearms are iconic? I don't know. They are only good for melee or very short range with practice though, versus bows and arrows and slingshots and other such ranged subsonic projectile weaponry. But, yeah, maybe eventually they'll get rid of knives, then forks, then spoons, and then chopsticks.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 1:20 am

billiscool wrote:
knife kill people too.How come Liberal
don't want to ban knifes.

Why not ban kittens with claws who scratch people's eyeballs?