To what extent should the principle of liberty be upheld

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 5:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Your liberty ends if and when you infringe on the rights of someone else. This has been the case in civil rights legislation concerning racial minorities, and today with gay rights.

Yes, but it isnt always that clear cut. Sometimes the moral status of one or more parties is itself in question. What right does a fetus have? Is it a sort of mutation which can be removed according to a mother's fancy or is it a life form deserving of the full range of rights? When does an unborn fetus acquire rights? If a baby in the 5th month of pregnancy is protected by the human rights charter should the mother be held accountable for any act which endangers the baby such as smoking or eating junk food?

The Americans' various rights are also founded upon the ongoing violation of the ancient rights of the native Americans. Their land was stolen and any settler's claim to land rights is based on the infringement of the originally instituted and thus superior rights of the native Americans.

The surface answer and question are facile, but im trying to get at some of the more thorny subjects which haven't yet been put to bed despite loads of debating.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3