Page 2 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 2:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
And where is this happening on a weekly basis.

Depending on how you define school shooting, it is as many as 1.3 school shootings/week in the US. But that is only if you include suicide by firearm on schoool property and accidental discharges, as well as including colleges in the numbers.

If you only count incidents where a student arrived at school with the intent to shoot more than one person, the it is around once every 6 weeks.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 6:42 pm

Raptor wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I advocate education and safety classes. Not only should gun owners know how to operate their firearms, they also need to learn safety, how to to fire them, and how to properly store them.
I'd be all for teaching a gun safety class once a year throughout K-12 schooling. That way you'd catch just about everyone eventually.

I second this. In fact, this is how it should be in every country where guns are relatively easy to obtain, like Canada or the US.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Depending on how you define school shooting, it is as many as 1.3 school shootings/week in the US. But that is only if you include suicide by firearm on schoool property and accidental discharges, as well as including colleges in the numbers.

If you only count incidents where a student arrived at school with the intent to shoot more than one person, the it is around once every 6 weeks.

It doesn't matter if they are daily. If you can't find and effectively remedy the root cause then it's going to continue.
I'd ask for a source of your numbers but I doubt it would be a trusted source outside of anti-gun......oops....I meant "safety" :roll: circles.....

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:57 am

sonofghandi wrote:
That some firearm regulation talk right there. You called me a gun grabber for thinking there should be firearm education requirements before owning a firearm, but you are willing to give everyone firearm education as part of an annual school curriculum?

Do you honestly not see the difference between offering firearms education in schools vs mandating it for adults?

Also, if you actually look at the numbers for states that require education or training to issue a CCW permit vs those that don't, you'll notice that their is no correlation with gun crime or accidents either way.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:21 am

sly279 wrote:
do you know people in the military? that is not at all what most are like.

do you really think a soldier will shoot his family just cause the government labels them as the enemy.

You are staged on transport and delivered to an area where you face angry violent people dedicated to the destruction of the United States, which you've taken a solemn oath to defend, AND gone through heavy indoctrination............they fired on children at Kent State, didn't they?

I'd like to believe differently but from the Civil War to the present this is what we have experienced. Very sad.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:35 am

Dox47 wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
That some firearm regulation talk right there. You called me a gun grabber for thinking there should be firearm education requirements before owning a firearm, but you are willing to give everyone firearm education as part of an annual school curriculum?

Do you honestly not see the difference between offering firearms education in schools vs mandating it for adults?

Also, if you actually look at the numbers for states that require education or training to issue a CCW permit vs those that don't, you'll notice that their is no correlation with gun crime or accidents either way.

The NRA believes the earlier a child is taught the proper use and safe handling of firearms the better, and makes an effort to create and maintain programs toward child and hunter safety. This could be taught in schools.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:49 am

Dox47 wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

The NRA believes the earlier a child is taught the proper use and safe handling of firearms the better, and makes an effort to create and maintain programs toward child and hunter safety. This could be taught in schools.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:14 am

Dox47 wrote:

I do see a difference. One is a requirement for everyone and one is a requirement only for adult gun owners. I have always been an avid supporter of firearm education.

I just find it amusing that a program requiring more people to receive this training is acceptable while a proposal for less people to receive it leads to accusations of an anti-gun far left gun grabber.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:18 am

Raptor wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It doesn't matter if they are daily. If you can't find and effectively remedy the root cause then it's going to continue.
I'd ask for a source of your numbers but I doubt it would be a trusted source outside of anti-gun......oops....I meant "safety" :roll: circles.....

The 1.3/week is a widely published recent data analysis, but is subject to the skewed views of the gun control group conducting it. It is 100% accurate for their definition of school shooting. If you use FBI statistics excluding the overly broad definition (which are public information) for the same time period, then you get 1/6 weeks.

Wasn't really making any argument with that, just providing information.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 11:52 am

ZenDen wrote:
sly279 wrote:
do you know people in the military? that is not at all what most are like.

do you really think a soldier will shoot his family just cause the government labels them as the enemy.

You are staged on transport and delivered to an area where you face angry violent people dedicated to the destruction of the United States, which you've taken a solemn oath to defend, AND gone through heavy indoctrination............they fired on children at Kent State, didn't they?

I'd like to believe differently but from the Civil War to the present this is what we have experienced. Very sad.

yet they will wait 30 secs in combat to identify a kid vs adult with a gun. the army and marines aren't yet trained to shoot kids. the military of the past is in the past. now there is so much media and the internet, you can't control what the troops learn or see. there's military personal involved in political stuff when not on duty. lots are in prepper groups. marines do seem to be more better at following the law then the army though. but marines swear oath to the constitution and I believe the army does it to the president.

its really not the same as it was in Vietnam and the past. though there does seem to be a effort to rid the military of those people who are loyal to law and morals rather then orders from top. the marines are being moved toward looking nice rather then being a veteran fighting force, or so says my friends.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:05 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Danimal wrote:
I advocate education and safety classes. Not only should gun owners know how to operate their firearms, they also need to learn safety, how to to fire them, and how to properly store them.
I'd be all for teaching a gun safety class once a year throughout K-12 schooling. That way you'd catch just about everyone eventually.

My way will eventually net just about anyone that will be receiving public school and some private school education.
Rationale (a word that seems to evade you): Not all that will come in contact with guns will do so intentionally but at least they will t know the basics of gun safety and will probably be able to figure out how to determine whether or not a gun is loaded, how to unload it in most cases, and generally handle them safely. As a bonus, it gives would be future gun owners safety training. There is no invasive database of gun owners with potential to be abused since the training becomes part of standard K-12 curriculum to be taught to all students annually.

Your way has the typical invasive and punitive overtones associated with the classic gun grabber mindset by only targeting gun owners to receive mandatory training, stricter restrictions on more "dangerous"weapons, a national registry, and manufacturer liability beyond standard product liability.

Now somehow turn it around and accuse me of hyperbole, incivility, trolling, and thinly veiled hate speech. I notice you haven't thrown Godwin's Law in there yet. Have you simply forgotten to or have you just come to the conclusion in advance that I'd take being called a Nazi by you to be a compliment?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:08 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The 1.3/week is a widely published recent data analysis, but is subject to the skewed views of the gun control group conducting it. It is 100% accurate for their definition of school shooting. If you use FBI statistics excluding the overly broad definition (which are public information) for the same time period, then you get 1/6 weeks.

Probably the same recently published "data" that says gun ownership is down and all that gun buying in the past 5 years has just been the typical run of the mill gun fetishist and black helicopter theorist.

Quote:

Mmm hmmm........

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

Raptor wrote:
Rationale (a word that seems to evade you)

Considering you never provide any concrete rationale, I find these accusations baseless.

Raptor wrote:
Your way has the typical invasive and punitive overtones associated with the classic gun grabber mindset by only targeting gun owners to receive mandatory training

As opposed to absolutely everyone receiving mandatory training? That is somehow less invasive?

Raptor wrote:
stricter restrictions on more "dangerous"weapons

As opposed to having no regulations on any type of weapon at all?

Raptor wrote:
a national registry

My opinions on this matter have been thoroughly explained to you, and have been thoroughly misinterpreted.

Raptor wrote:
and manufacturer liability beyond standard product liability.

This is more a matter of my belief in business regulation more than firearms specifically.

Raptor wrote:
Now somehow turn it around and accuse me of hyperbole, incivility, trolling, and thinly veiled hate speech. I notice you haven't thrown Godwin's Law in there yet. Have you simply forgotten to or have you just come to the conclusion in advance that I'd take being called a Nazi by you to be a compliment?

I have never called you a Nazi (although I have been called one on the subject of firearms on this site). Since I only made mention of one tiny aspect of firearm regulation in this thread before you jumped all over me, what do expect me to assume? You have once again flown off the handle about what you assume I am going to say and that I am against everything you have or ever will say. Perhaps you are not trolling, but it does come off that way sometimes. Now why don't you reply and talk about how causing someone "butt-hurt" is a high point in your day?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:41 pm

Raptor wrote:
Probably the same recently published "data" that says gun ownership is down and all that gun buying in the past 5 years has just been the typical run of the mill gun fetishist and black helicopter theorist.

Again, it is accurate data, just presentedx in a skewed manner. The actual number of gun owners is down from a decade ago, but the number of actual firearms has gone way up. I personally think it is because the NRA has done a bang up job of scaring gun owners that gun control is coming and they better get the guns while they can more than I think it is fetishists or black helicopter folks (although there are enough of those out there to get some people's attention).

Raptor wrote:
Quote:

Mmm hmmm........

Since all I had done was provide two sets of numbers from two different sources with nothing else to accompany them . . .

It was more of a response to the person who had said that they happen pnce a week and your skeptical reply. Just ppointing out that it is technically true, but only for a very specific definition of "school shooting" to include suicide, accidental shootings, and shootings that happened on school property as result of independent crime.

But you just go ahead and make your wildly narrow minded black and white assumptions. If you want to play this game again, I have the time.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:57 pm

how is the number of gun owners found out?
isn't most these numbers a year or two behind usually so the increase in gun owners from 2013 wouldn't be accounted for.

loads and loads of new to gun people happen in 2013. people who had no interst in owning a gun until they thought they wouldn't be able to. then add those who bought them thinking they could turn a profit.

a person who walks in and knows nothing about guns isn't a gun owner buying more guns unless they are lying ofr some stupid reason. I know lot of new gun owners even those who are left leaning and thought they had to regisiter the gun or take some test to own them lol. I know one or two people who bought more cause of the scare. there is also a lot of gun owners who bought stuff they would have bought anyways that year.

fact is if some person calls people and asks if they own guns, most people will say no even if they do. that is just creepy and invasion of privacy. I'd probably just hang up on them

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Rationale (a word that seems to evade you)

Considering you never provide any concrete rationale, I find these accusations baseless.

The onus is on you to rationalise the laws you want since that would be a change and one that appears to be wholly unneeded.

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Your way has the typical invasive and punitive overtones associated with the classic gun grabber mindset by only targeting gun owners to receive mandatory training

As opposed to absolutely everyone receiving mandatory training? That is somehow less invasive?

Already sufficiently explained.

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
stricter restrictions on more "dangerous"weapons

As opposed to having no regulations on any type of weapon at all?

Why not just stop tap dancing around it and say "assault weapon" like the rest of you kind does. It's free and it won't hurt, it'll just look woefully uninformed to the informed but we're used to it.

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
a national registry

My opinions on this matter have been thoroughly explained to you, and have been thoroughly misinterpreted.

Yeah, you want a Canadian style national registry that was eventually shot down in Canada when it was discovered to be unworkable, burdensome, and expensive.
Whatever, registration is still registration and is by definition anti-gun.

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:
and manufacturer liability beyond standard product liability.

This is more a matter of my belief in business regulation more than firearms specifically.

Product liability already exists. Any more than that and you want the manufactured to be held liable for misuse, hence putting many or most gun manufacturers out of business.

sonofghandi wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I have never called you a Nazi (although I have been called one on the subject of firearms on this site).

Like I said, you haven't called me one yet but I'm sure it's coming. I just don't care one way or the other.

Quote:
Since I only made mention of one tiny aspect of firearm regulation in this thread before you jumped all over me, what do expect me to assume?

Your track record of having a rabidly anti-gun stance under the guise of a safety concern. It was someone else who labeled you as a concern troll, not I, though I can see how they may have arrived at that conclusion after reading pages and pages or your posts on the subject in several threads.

Quote:
You have once again flown off the handle about what you assume I am going to say and that I am against everything you have or ever will say.

Ah yes, the classic "Look everyone! He's flying off the handle! He's out of control! Someone must do something to stop this mentally ill person before he hurts himself or someone!!" attempt to discredit someone. It's not very original.

Quote:
Perhaps you are not trolling, but it does come off that way sometimes.
Yes, I do offer an opposing opinion with equal saltiness that the opposition whose saltiness you are selectively blind to.
I actually start comparatively very few threads.
I contain my "saltines" to PPR and to a lesser degree the N&CE forum.

Quote:
Now why don't you reply and talk about how causing someone "butt-hurt" is a high point in your day?

you mean dark humor, mirth, quippishness, youthful exuberance, etc....
Really, if you're that sensitive there are other forums here that are much safer for you.....